Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Must watch video hd gear mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #401
RCC Addict

Default Re: Must watch video hd gear mod

Glad to hear after the labor pains go away you'll have yourself a healthy reliable basher. I think it's a phase that we all go through...lol ...at times I hated mine !! but it's grown into a love affair..
The XL is in a class of its own. It has the scaled realism that no other manufacturer can compete with...
The XL's power to weight ratio separates it far from an
XMAXX.. and competes with the fastest bashers on the block...
And to top it all off it's one of the only 8th scale rigs that can be set up for scaled crawling...
It's a versatile machine guys....

So here's a small list of what it takes to make this a reliable basher

1 - if you have a ready to run or kit version that was issued with a HD gear have it modified !!

The Dhawk (version 2) bulkhead is the only housing that will accept an HD gear WITHOUT A MOD (BTW in not yelling lol)

If you purchased an HD gear as an upgrade it needs modification as well...

2- 140mm limiting straps !!! This is one of the best upgrades you can do for your XL... limiting straps prevent over extension of your drivetrain components that caused a domino effect of broken parts.
I experienced this the hard way over extending my shock which in turn broke my lower arm which led to destroying a CVD and output... ya ... they work and they cost about 6$ a set...

3- doing the drive shaft mod... this modification includes tapping the inside of the drive shaft with a 5/16 x 2" threaded setscrew... the stock driveshaft is tuff as hell after this mod !! Thanks Capwn

4- Replacement of the batwing (front clip) AX31048...
This is a horrible design... Two reasons... the alignment of the holes is off and the 4 screws that hold the bottom skid plate (front end assembly) exert too much force and cause the screws to strip out of the plastic studs... I've designed a bar that attaches to the skid plate into the tub assembly so the top clip isn't needed during assembly of the front end... no more clam shell assembly because that's a pain in the ass!!!
I haven't had the opportunity to try out a aluminum front clip but I'm sure it's a complete Game Changer but it still has that pain-in-the-ass design...lol

5- eliminating the 8 mm RTR wheel nuts and hub assemblies.... I've used version 1 and version 2 and they both fail regardless of blue Loctite... the best alternative for swapping over to the kit is by purchasing my competitors HR hub adapter kit.. (beware because they have two versions one for the RTR and one for the KIT)
The design has a interlocking wheel web plate that prevents wheel stripping, converts to a 17 mm. wheel nut and uses a pin instead of a AX31232 screw shaft... !!! Trust me they break on 6s...
Unfortunately I bought RTR replacements before I figured out the difference between the kit and the RTR design..
Hindsight I would have sold my RTR hubs/hexes and Axle shafts and purchase the KIT assembly...then bought the HR KIT hub adapters...
The HR adapters also increase the width of the XL
RTR + 10mm total. The kit version 16mm wider.. helps for 40series wheel clearance as well..

6- venting your differential cup during assembly.. think of the diff cup as a hydraulic cylinder. After the fluid is in the cup in the ring gear is screwed down it causes internal pleasure.. enough to break two screws on separate occasions... also causing the diff fluid to get forced out of my differential by the pressure breaking the seal... so whenever you're tightening the screws up on your ring gear turn your differential so you're set screw (AXA291) is facing up and releases the pressure...
I suggest fingertight on the ring gear screws then open port and let the air/fluid escape..then tighten set screw..

7- reinforcing your Shock Tower.... I used random steering links to connect the top of my tower to the base of the front clip.... do the work ??? Enough so I broke a metal turnbuckle rod... better than a explosion form loosing a shock tower and the aftermath...

8- adding washers or a horizontal bar to retain your front shocks !! I use a bar... but a adjustable link works as well..I feel like it serves 2 purposes... retaining the shock and structural integrity to the plastic shock tower..

9- IF you have a RTR replace the upper arm and steering links with adjustable links...AFTER you wear out the stock ones...

10- check to see how smoothly your transmission operates I've noticed the screw under the slipper shaft causes binding when it's snug... I turn my slipper shaft while I'm tightening my transmission bolts looking for any kind of drag...and if your interested in modifications check out my YouTube page..

11- l do not use grease anywhere i come in contact with dirt !!! A little finger grease during assembly is about far as I go !!! Grease attracts and captures dirt... within no time you'll have a ultimate abrasive!!! Good bye bearings /CVDs/WB joints... The spinning of the drivetrain repells dirt..don't attract it...

12- the plastic center link/control link / steering rack (AX31025) Is a complete joke...this part is a must upgrade!!! I'm not totally convinced that the aluminum Bell crank is necessary but the link is!!

13- Rear Traction Bar... how could this be so far down on the list maybe cuz it's not in order LOL this also is a must!!!
The torque twist experience gets old after the third day

14- replacing your crappy stock bearings... if you're going to spend your money on the bearings start with what component spins the fastest.... transmission first, pinions, differential bearings... I tend to use cheep ones on the hubs because they are visible...and easily replaceable..

15- 200 oz plus steering servo

16- make a boot to protect your rear axle pinion bearings... they will thank-you!! Check out Pro Mod Steve's boot thread !

And guys... You don't have to buy expensive parts to get to perform...I've had pretty good luck with the motor mount...for how much I change pinions.. and the stock axle and bulkhead are suitable for 6s after the HD mod..

So... hopefully this helps... it's my 3 try ... my computer erasers my work after I tried to load it... frustrating to say the least!!! But with all of the support from the community I feel like it's my brotherley duty

Thanks again for the kind words!
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #402
Rock Crawler

Not to sound like an idiot but what do stars mean? I really don't know. But what do they really matter? The thread is here and growing, we know the mod is a life saver and we can still direct new owners too it for help. All that matters is owners find out about it from us if need be and we all continue to have fun. Remember this is all about fun and helping each other out along the way.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #403
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
Not to sound like an idiot but what do stars mean? I really don't know. But what do they really matter? The thread is here and growing, we know the mod is a life saver and we can still direct new owners too it for help. All that matters is owners find out about it from us if need be and we all continue to have fun. Remember this is all about fun and helping each other out along the way.
LMAO Steve !!! I wasn't too fired up lol !! Thanks for bringing in the hoses lol I just was curious why it was demoted that's all !!
And honestly Steve your a Trooper for helping inform other bashers on other forums !! Thanks for your relentless efforts in spreading the word !!
Far as I know your the FIRST basher that tried the HD MOD... and probably convinced more bashers that it's a necessity than I have !! Every time I was second guessed or criticized you were in my corner because of the facts...
Thank-you Steve
Old 08-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #404
Rock Crawler

BHB if it wasn't for your thinking outside the box with the BHB mod I don't know if I would still have my YXL today. I was really at a point of giving up and you gave me new hope I could beat this thing and I did. I have had a DHAWK front bulkhead in my parts box for months and still run the stocker because with your mod I don't need it.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #405
Rock Stacker

For someone who has done so much for a group, I have never seen someone take so much shit from others.
Pilot-Werx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #406
RCC Addict

Perseverance my friend ... I just remind myself how PISSED I was... I'd hate to see guys go through what I did...And after pushing the XL beyond my expectations and wanting more it's proven it's worth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot-Werx View Post
For someone who has done so much for a group, I have never seen someone take so much shit from others.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #407
RCC Addict

Quote:
BHB if it wasn't for your thinking outside the box with the BHB mod I don't know if I would still have my YXL today. I was really at a point of giving up and you gave me new hope I could beat this thing and I did. I have had a DHAWK front bulkhead in my parts box for months and still run the stocker because with your mod I don't need it.
Thanks Steve and it's true 6s on stock bulkhead/axle is just fine !!! In some ways better !!! If a bearing goes oho well..not to mention they are lighter as well...
Old 08-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #408

Being new to the RC world and buying a YXL I found myself frustrated after breaking down after just 2 hrs of taking my RTR out of the box. I have read a lot of threads since joining this forum but find myself keep coming back to this one. BHB has helped me a ton already and has potentially saved me a bundle of money since he has already done the research, spent money blowing up parts , then figured out fixes for some design flaws and tested them. I was seriously considering selling my XL untill I found this thread. 5 stars to BHB!
Mike AA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #409
Rock Crawler

MIKE AA Don't give up. It can be frustrating but this thing can be made to be reliable and a whole hell of a lot of fun. Been there done that don't hesitate to ask or PM me if I can be of any help.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:30 PM   #410

Quote:
MIKE AA Don't give up. It can be frustrating but this thing can be made to be reliable and a whole hell of a lot of fun. Been there done that don't hesitate to ask or PM me if I can be of any help.
Steve, im to deep into this now to give up. Just ordered some new upgrade parts and BHB helping me out. Im starting to feel good about this. I will definitely take you up on your offer to help out, Thank you!
Old 08-14-2016, 09:39 PM   #411
RCC Addict

Looking forward to receiving your YXL I'll make it a fun, reliable basher... The way it was intended with full 6s power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike AA View Post
Steve, im to deep into this now to give up. Just ordered some new upgrade parts and BHB helping me out. Im starting to feel good about this. I will definitely take you up on your offer to help out, Thank you!
Old 08-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #412
Rock Crawler

I am in WAY to deep and love this thing way too much to see it ride off into the sunset to be a memory. Hell between my daughter and me I have 2 to keep up with. I will do what I can to help everyone to keep this going and so everyone can have fun.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:45 PM   #413
RCC Addict

Quote:
I am in WAY to deep and love this thing way too much to see it ride off into the sunset to be a memory. Hell between my daughter and me I have 2 to keep up with. I will do what I can to help everyone to keep this going and so everyone can have fun.
I wish everyone had your morale
Old 08-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #414
Rock Crawler

I am just like you BHB. Trying to do as a peon what axial WON'T. Help the honest hard working people spending their hard earned money for what they think is a reliable product. Cost aside imagine how awesome this thing would be if axial had dedicated people like BHB and this community. WOW it might have been great RTR.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #415
I wanna be Dave

Everyone needs to remember this is axial first 1/8th scale rc, they are learning just as much as we are. Axial is also some what a newer company as well. In the future, something this size and power needs a center diff. It would have been a ton better if they started out with that but you can't always get a rc right the first time. For me, spending money on upgrades and making it more bullet proof is just as fun as driving it. Leaving it all stock is boring. Lol.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:16 PM   #416

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
For me, spending money on upgrades and making it more bullet proof is just as fun as driving it. Leaving it all stock is boring. Lol.
Yoda, I get that but as a first time buyer of an RC I wasnt planning on upgrading and reparing right out of the gate.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:32 PM   #417
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Everyone needs to remember this is axial first 1/8th scale rc, they are learning just as much as we are. Axial is also some what a newer company as well. In the future, something this size and power needs a center diff. It would have been a ton better if they started out with that but you can't always get a rc right the first time. For me, spending money on upgrades and making it more bullet proof is just as fun as driving it. Leaving it all stock is boring. Lol.

My thoughts exactly lol I finally drilled out a stock 68 tooth spur

Old 08-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #418
Quarry Creeper

While I wont argue about how great a center diff can be for racing and getting grip when you need it but there are times when a center diff will be less than ideal and a yeti xl is one of those times. Forget wheelies and any type of crawling ability. The second you get the front or rear of the truck off the ground power will be redirected. If you are tracking your XL like I have an center diff will work wonders. If you are strictly bashing I think you will hate the center diff.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:05 AM   #419
RCC Addict

I appreciate your experience, I personally know you've definitely been around the block ! I've got out side of the box plans ... I'm working on a rubber center differential with twin 1700kv T8 with 2 MMX ...lol the center differential will be partially solid but allow Flex before metal drivetrain components snap... at least that's my theory...I'm also eliminating my outputs and dog bone/CVDs and setting up a WB/CVD with telescoping end with stout diameter shafts...Rich from RCN let me know that MIP doesn't plan on making anything for the Yeti XL..... I have a old retired master gunsmith that wants to make some high quality parts for me... I'm looking forward to picking up some amazing machinist tips.. he said we could mill WB/CVDs from drill bit steel and forged/temper them to be durable yet tempered to always spring back..aka leaf spring..yep I'm dedicated lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
While I wont argue about how great a center diff can be for racing and getting grip when you need it but there are times when a center diff will be less than ideal and a yeti xl is one of those times. Forget wheelies and any type of crawling ability. The second you get the front or rear of the truck off the ground power will be redirected. If you are tracking your XL like I have an center diff will work wonders. If you are strictly bashing I think you will hate the center diff.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #420
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
Bump
Agreed. It is every YXL owners duty IMO when you see this at the bottom of PG1 to bump it.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Must watch video hd gear mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 Comanche Music Video FINAL EDIT! Watch in HD ray2286 Videos! 11 03-13-2011 12:21 PM
Most BADASSESSSSS video EVER, EVER!!! Watch it! toyofast Chit Chat 19 08-04-2010 10:23 PM
Wow watch this video. dezfan Chit Chat 10 09-23-2007 09:35 PM
Watch this 1/6th Video AMAZING! DirkDigler General Crawlers 3 03-06-2006 07:01 PM