Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Must watch video hd gear mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2016, 12:28 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Must watch video hd gear mod

Hey guys I've finally finished the HD beveled gear mod!!! I meant to mention to "take off as needed" you don't have to go HAM and remove all of the material .... Its better than shimming .... so take your time and it will pay off in the end instead of paying out!!!!!!!!!!!

side note ~ Just ripped out two closets and alakazam ive got a fn yeti xl garage in my house .. good bye glass table ...and feeling stupid working on it in my real garage now my girls have a craft center too... at least that was my selling point lol

btw If I don't get feed back my willingness to take time will crash and burn ...I'm always happy to help and be a Ginny pig its just good to know theirs someone on the other side of the door and that I am making a difference.... Plus Axial needs feedback from reliable consumers instead of trashing it and going to the next best thing....

https://youtu.be/gv1KU4J6V4w

Last edited by BarHarborBasher; 07-08-2016 at 10:59 AM.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Must watch video hd gear mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
Hey guys I've finally finished the HD beveled gear mod!!! I meant to mention to "take off as needed" you don't have to go HAM and remove all of the material .... Its better than shimming .... so take your time and it will pay off in the end instead of paying out!!!!!!!!!!!

side note ~ Just ripped out two closets and alakazam ive got a fn yeti xl garage in my house .. good bye glass table ...and feeling stupid working on it in my real garage now my girls have a craft center too... at least that was my selling point lol

btw If I don't get feed back my willingness to take time will crash and burn ...I'm always happy to help and be a Ginny pig its just good to know theirs someone on the other side of the door and that I am making a difference.... Plus Axial needs feedback from reliable consumers instead of trashing it and going to the next best thing....

Thanks for the video. Very informative. It's just too bad it has to be done at all. Hopefully a V2 gear will come out as I see some if not most not confident enough or willing to do so. Just my opinion
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
RCC Addict

they can send them to me for a small price .... their souls lol jk but really if someone isn't confident enough I'll hook em up and get them back running !!! I just tried out the 11 tooth on 3s parallel !! Un FN real !!! so worth the 8 bucks !!! the locker is priceless too!!! The Lucas red n tacky in the DHAWK seems to be getting great traction too !!
I can't wait till my Yeti XLX is finished.... The high clearance is probably the best mod that I've got going right next to the pinion mod ...and the 2 speed...
Old 02-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

When I first put the new gears in I thought the pinion was too close to the ring gear but didn't know what to do so i ran em notchy. Both failed and pushed pinion out. Looking at the vid and whats involved I have a friend who is a machinist and I am going to let him play with the next set. Thanks for all your HARD work and helping all of us.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:23 AM   #5
RCC Addict

update, a look at the gear mesh after 30 runs and locker mod

https://youtu.be/bIGBdxOcAMA
Old 02-23-2016, 06:39 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks again for all your effort.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:24 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
Thanks again for all your effort.
Any time Steve~O !! I just didn't want other bashers to go through what I've gone through!! Ive had problems since I spent my first 1000$...I couldn't just walk away from a "investment" like that.... Hobbico was great at first but they basically told me that my account was tapped out and I would have to send in my RTR for 50$.... and have someone else work on my 1000$ toy...no thanks the rtr was already F up from the technician that assembled it.. I just want parts that work ... hd gears that didn't ruin everything..transmission with correct geometry and a E.S.C that wasn't intended for a 7 lb rig !!! Castle Creation informed me that they knew it was under sized.. And I don't thing the screws even have a grade ...if they did it would be F....Dhawk supplies grade 10 ... why don't they make r.c's Well then again after I through on my new c hubs it will be a Dhawk yeti xl
Old 02-23-2016, 07:36 AM   #8
RCC Addict

snowbashn
https://youtu.be/q9KgP-3lq98
Old 02-23-2016, 09:37 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I don't have any sort of jig like this yet but nice video. Hopefully Axial can just release updated gears again to fix that. I'm just gonna run my new front gears and see what happens, if they go then I'm calling up. My beveled fronts simply wore down so I can't say anything there.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Fun to watch but boy do you need a better camera.

You should try some of those Kyosho Foxx paddles. I picked up a set and will try them on my XXL as my YXL is still In pieces.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Fun to watch but boy do you need a better camera.

You should try some of those Kyosho Foxx paddles. I picked up a set and will try them on my XXL as my YXL is still In pieces.
lol I've got a set on my ebay account lol gonna use them for water crossings too !! got my 20 tooth & 56 for that run ... seriously thinking about a 1/5 scale setup... 12s with other 1/5 scale parts ...bastard tranny ect...
I have been debating on a new camera but I think the funds are going to a Fat Shark... FPV is the shit + cool video ...then a race drone...
tho I've been discouraged by my productions ..they had more purpose than glitz... that's to come

Last edited by BarHarborBasher; 02-23-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #12

Quote:

Thanks for posting your videos, I love watching them! I just wish I had the balls to modify the pinion. I think I'll wait until they change them.....hopefully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ajw068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw068 View Post
Thanks for posting your videos, I love watching them! I just wish I had the balls to modify the pinion. I think I'll wait until they change them.....hopefully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
send it to me ... i'll help the first 5 RRC bashers for free ...
Old 02-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

So are you grinding the whole step off and running no shims? Or is shims needed? Or should you grind a little, test fit, repeat till it fits with no shims? I got my HD gears so Im going to be doing this soon.

Thanks for the video and info, I doubt no one would have figured it out and we all would have been stuck with HD gears and plastic housings.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
I don't have any sort of jig like this yet but nice video. Hopefully Axial can just release updated gears again to fix that. I'm just gonna run my new front gears and see what happens, if they go then I'm calling up. My beveled fronts simply wore down so I can't say anything there.
I did this and about 4 runs on 6S and they were done. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

BHBasher thanks for sharing, gives us some clarity on what exactly to do, thumbs up, I left a couple vid links on your snow bash vid suggesting you to purchase the sony as 200v I just purchased it this week, for $200 I had the sony as100v with the vids I linked and the 200 is even better what makes them good is the built in image stabalization and some other features, I have owned all the gopros and still do, but the sony is the most versatile, image quality on the 200v is compared up against the gopro H4 but the sony is half the price and comes with gps tracking, and speedometer when using sonys editor, its a kick @ss cam for the price, plus the sony has excellent low light sensors

Here is the sony as100v onboard my YXL following my summit... gopros cant handle looking into the sun very well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_4pWCwvi80
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCIbSZ-_I7I
jump_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
So are you grinding the whole step off and running no shims? Or is shims needed? Or should you grind a little, test fit, repeat till it fits with no shims? I got my HD gears so Im going to be doing this soon.

Thanks for the video and info, I doubt no one would have figured it out and we all would have been stuck with HD gears and plastic housings.
but Yota .... the hd gears blow the stock plastic housings too... they just have more give... they are numbered from the first twist of the hand wile your checking them for mesh... 1/2 to 5/8 of a turn then you feel a sticky ...clutch (notchy) spot of the mesh rotation thinking the first time around....{o it will break in} 15 to 20 runs later BOOM cork screwed the pinion out of the housing....Then after stocking the ups guy then receiving a new housing , gears and new bearings ect... 2nd try... {WTF same nochy feeling !!! together, apart, together, apart... WTF gonna runner}... boom the front outputs look like a traffic worker waiving their arms as you drive down a one way...F it she's gonna be 2WD till the next order comes in...ooo so much fun ...boom 3 runs in...front comes in ... nope not gonna runner in 2WD this time ...I'll wait till I get a new order... Awesome ...new set front and rear... FN boom maybe 10 to 15 runs...DHAWK & VANQUISH on order to fix this but all they did was show me the answer... leave the retainer cap bolts out and it turned o.k...closer the ring the harder the mesh... doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out...wait doesn't Axial make space rovers lol...all tho I was once aquanaut....under water welder / hypo-baric dive medicine officer... now just a (hightech redneck)...anyways..they will destroy everything they connect to without my mod..after my mod ...they seem to be indestructible ...wile I've been testing them out I've managed to break a output cup and a front CVD in half at 80% punch...all for you guys lol gears still look brand new!!!

and to answer your question YES GRIND TO FIT TAKE ALITTLE AT A TIME

THO ON MY FIRST SET I GRINDED IT ALL THE WAY TO THE BACK POINT OF TOOTH... I ADDED TWO SHIMS TO THE VANQUISH AND IN THE DHAWK AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY

JUST REMEMBER BEARING FIRST !!!!! IST THE ONLY WAY TO GET THE PINION RECESSED AWAY FROM THE RING GEAR
Old 02-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

We'll have to name you the GEAR MAN.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
We'll have to name you the GEAR MAN.
smiling out loud thanks Steve O !!! I just wanna make sure everyones geared up and ready to BaSh
Old 02-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Kinda rolls off the tongue. What did you do? I did the GEAR MAN mod.

Must watch video hd gear mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 Comanche Music Video FINAL EDIT! Watch in HD ray2286 Videos! 11 03-13-2011 12:21 PM
Most BADASSESSSSS video EVER, EVER!!! Watch it! toyofast Chit Chat 19 08-04-2010 10:23 PM
Wow watch this video. dezfan Chit Chat 10 09-23-2007 09:35 PM
Watch this 1/6th Video AMAZING! DirkDigler General Crawlers 3 03-06-2006 07:01 PM