Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Axial Yeti XL and Hot Racing Bulkhead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #1

Default Axial Yeti XL and Hot Racing Bulkhead

I ordered a Hot Racing front aluminum bulkhead for my Yeti XL and it arrived today. After reading several posts I was a bit concerned about the bearing fit, but I was pleasantly surprised... Even made a quick video to share.

https://youtu.be/CAd4ilHdG0g

Last edited by SeanKewley; 03-23-2016 at 04:22 PM.
SeanKewley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial Yeti XL and Hot Racing Bulkhead

Thanks for the vid. WAY better than the hammer video.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #3

For those of you who have used the Hot Racing front Aluminum bulkhead or the Dhawk version... Has this helped to reduce blown diff bearings? My thoughts were that the plastic bulkhead was allowing flex to occur and damaging the bearings in the process. Any merit to this?

I caught the failed bearing before it damaged my crown and pinion diff gears (Non-HD gears) and was hoping the aluminum bulkhead would help mitigate this.

Thanks,
Old 03-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It absolutely helps... especially when combining with upgraded diff bearings.
Trifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Did you put HD gears in it? I may order the HR. I like the way it goes together better than the Dhawk.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Did you put HD gears in it? I may order the HR. I like the way it goes together better than the Dhawk.
Where is the best best to get it from?
sparwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
I did not purchase the HD gears yet as the original bevel and pinion appeared to be in like new condition still. The only modifications I did when installing the HR unit was to grind 1/16" off of the 3 small screws that hold the pinion bearings in place. The screws were just a tad too long with the HR bulkhead.

Sparwood,
I got mine from here: Hobby Etc 603-883-4919 26 Clinton Dr. Unit 119 - Hollis, NH USA

Only took 2 days for delivery.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKewley View Post
I did not purchase the HD gears yet as the original bevel and pinion appeared to be in like new condition still. The only modifications I did when installing the HR unit was to grind 1/16" off of the 3 small screws that hold the pinion bearings in place. The screws were just a tad too long with the HR bulkhead.

Sparwood,
I got mine from here: Hobby Etc 603-883-4919 26 Clinton Dr. Unit 119 - Hollis, NH USA

Only took 2 days for delivery.
Thanks, $40US shipping to Canada, ouch!, you guys realize we are just next door right?
Old 03-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #9

One other modification I forgot to mention when installing the HR bulkhead.

You need to trim a small amount of the plastic channel on the bottom of the plate that mounts to the top of the bulkhead. Presumably this mod is only needed if you use the OEM top plate instead of buying HR's.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Either you got lucky or they had some complaints and made some changes, hopeful they made the changes and it is not a hit and miss issue, mine is still a tight fit even after removing material from inside. I purchased the DHawk bulk with out issues.
jump_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:55 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Well, OK, just pulled the trigger on one, I'll let you know how I make out when it gets here.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:19 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparwood View Post
Well, OK, just pulled the trigger on one, I'll let you know how I make out when it gets here.

Very interested in this thread. Keep us in the loop. Just blew my front diff (I think) over the weekend. Haven't pulled it apart yet. I want to get a good parts list together so this doesn't happen again (bulkhead, HD ring/pinion, bearings?, etc.) I was thinking hot racing this time, now not so sure. Thx
karajabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #13

I have 1.5 hours of running so far on the HR Bulkhead and new bearing. No bearing issues so far. I plan to disassemble the front diff when I hit 5 hours to inspect the bearings and gears.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:28 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I had to change my Acer bearings after less than 5 hours. Lucky me, they was almost gone when I did the inspection. But only the outer ones, the inside ones next to the pinion were kind of ok. Changed them anyway, Losi in the rear and Mugen on the front, or vice versa, don't remember now exactly which is where

Last edited by Tzicul; 03-30-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Anyone running the HR bulk with the Dhawk steering link. I am trying to get mine together and it looks like I'd have to trim a lot of the material from the link to get it to fit. It interferes so bad with the HR bulk I can't even get it together.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #16

Yes I did try that combination. Don't think you can remove enough material from the link to clear the bulkhead. Went with the Hr steering bellcrank because the link sets lower. Hr unit is not nearly as nice as the Dhawk unit.
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbear View Post
Yes I did try that combination. Don't think you can remove enough material from the link to clear the bulkhead. Went with the Hr steering bellcrank because the link sets lower. Hr unit is not nearly as nice as the Dhawk unit.
Crap, that stinks, do you know if the stock steering setup fits. At least I can get it back running well I'm waiting.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #18

I have the dhawk steering bell crank and the HR bulkhead. I filed a little off the bulk head and bell crank link and have no clearance issues now. NOTE. You should attach the front to the chassis each time you file as it will rub no matter how much you file until the front is fully attached and screwed to chassis. The final assembly will change the angle of the bell crank to bulkhead and you will not get the proper alignment/angle until that is done
Old 04-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKewley View Post
I have the dhawk steering bell crank and the HR bulkhead. I filed a little off the bulk head and bell crank link and have no clearance issues now. NOTE. You should attach the front to the chassis each time you file as it will rub no matter how much you file until the front is fully attached and screwed to chassis. The final assembly will change the angle of the bell crank to bulkhead and you will not get the proper alignment/angle until that is done
Awesome, I was going to try that but was worried I'd hit the small screw that holds the bearing in from the inside if I removed material from the bottom side of the bulkhead, looks like that's not an issue though, I'll give that a try, I don't really want to spend another $60 on a new steering set-up if I can avoid it.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #20

I just checked the bearings in the front and rear differential after replacing the OEM bearings with Fast Eddy bearings and the Hot racing front bulkhead, and I am happy to report that after 5 hours of hard running on 4S, all bearings are still in good shape.

I am a happy camper!

I will continue to keep track of the number of hours I run and check the bearings again after another 5 hours.

For anyone interested... Here is a list of broke parts that I have replaced so far:

Hot Racing Front Bulkhead (UPGRADE)
Fast Eddy Bearing kit (OEM blew apart and UPGRADED)
Hot Racing Aluminum Front Body Mount Base (BROKEN)
AX31029: Axial XL Rear Sway Bar Parts Yeti (BROKEN)
AX31006: Axial XL Chassis Cage Components (BROKEN)
AX31004: Axial Rear Shock Mount (BROKEN)
AX31225: Axial 2Universal Joint Dogbones - 123mm (Bent when I hit a tree)
Dhawk Steering Bell Crank (UPGRADE)
1 Plastic shock cap (BROKEN)
AXI31222: Axial Racing 2522 Universal Joint Rebuild Kit (2) (BROKE PIN)

Overall I am pleased. I believe the initial differential issues I experienced were due to low quality bearings and flex in the OEM plastic front bulkhead.

Axial Yeti XL and Hot Racing Bulkhead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone use hot racing rims on their yeti? komeleoneyes Axial Yeti 1 12-12-2015 12:37 AM
opinions? HOT-RACING YET48G01 Aluminum Graphite Steering Bellcrank AXI Yeti 8000ft Axial Yeti 24 09-21-2015 12:58 PM
Hot Racing Piggyback shock upgrade for Yeti XL BobTeagle Axial Yeti XL 9 03-23-2015 12:41 PM