Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: XL Trophy Truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #1

Default XL Trophy Truck?

So my truck is down due to front diff bearing toasted. I've been seeing BHB's IFS/IRS build and someone else doing a solid front and rear axle build. I'd thought about selling it for a Summit since I can get almost 3 trucks in one (basher, racer with dog handling, and a crawler).

BUT I wouldn't have as much an issue with this truck if it would handle better. It's a Kit version so I have sway bar and progressive springs.

I was on YT and found some trophy truck videos and came across this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp2a...eTEAMBawIyJ7Xw

And here is a subsequent RC build to match it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iiFk8qR8D0

Am I crazy thinking that you could turn a Yeti XL into a TT style? Or am I missing something REALLY obvious? lol We have a IFS and trailing arm style rear suspension already...

I like realism when it comes to how an RC handles bumps. I don't like it when smaller trucks "hop and bounce" over bumps. I'm sure it has to do with the suspension and overall weight of the trucks. The RC build TT above has full metal cage and chassis pan which helps make the suspension actually WORK and absorb bumps with some realism.

I was hoping with some shocks adjustments (either size/travel/mounting locations) you can achieve better handling/suspension travel. a Cage could be custom made (I have a welder) but a body could be tricky for fitment.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited by smitty2919; 04-03-2016 at 05:11 PM.
smitty2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: XL Trophy Truck?

After I started the XLX build I started seeing more potential that just a HC 4 wheel steer sensored crawler.... I figured with locked rear knuckles, suspension adjustments and the BHB interior reinforcement chassis it would basically be a Yeti XLX TT....

I'll have Running videos soon !!!
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #3

I see the benefit of the solid front and rear axles for crawling, maybe bashing, but handling I believe would suffer. The independent front/rear setup with a locked rear and specific front diff lube COULD be decent at bashing,handling and crawling.

But IMO if you could make the XL handle better like an actual trophy truck, that would be neat. It seems a bit top heavy so with better selected wheel/tire and maybe some better shock placement I thought it could be darn close to a TT.

I would most likely buy 2 new chassis to cut up and transfer the running gear from my current XL if I can't modify the current setup to work.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The only way to increase ground clearance with a straight axle is bigger tires or a portal drive... I've been a off road NUT for years and could never understand the love affair with straight axles for every application... Pulling yes !! but mudding ....maybe if you have enough power to skim... even then why not ISF... setup right the possibilities are endless!!
Every time I went crawling (after the BHB HC mod, the 2 speed, 11t pinion with lockers) I was only stopped by the straight axle being hung up..
Old 04-04-2016, 05:28 AM   #5

The cool thing (to me at least) is seeing the Summit flex over rocks and dips. Looks like a spider lol. Another option may be to make a custom chassis plate and bolt the IRS/IFS to that.

Decisions decisions lol

Looking forward to your build BHB to see how it turns out. I have some concerns and wondering how you will solve them.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Lets here your questions.. They might prevent a headache...
Old 04-29-2016, 06:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
Am I crazy thinking that you could turn a Yeti XL into a TT style? Or am I missing something REALLY obvious? lol We have a IFS and trailing arm style rear suspension already...

I like realism when it comes to how an RC handles bumps. I don't like it when smaller trucks "hop and bounce" over bumps. I'm sure it has to do with the suspension and overall weight of the trucks. The RC build TT above has full metal cage and chassis pan which helps make the suspension actually WORK and absorb bumps with some realism.

Thoughts? Opinions?
I was thinking the same and would try it if I knew where to buy a TT body that would fit YXL. My 1/5th scale TT body is too big. We were driving ours last night and I agree the way the suspension articulates over the terrain is pretty cool.
bradi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You'll be needing this in blue or this in red. Length is 770 mm which will give out 58 mm overhang on both ends, width is 470 mm 26.5 mm overhang on both sides, which is favorable for a YXL TT conversion. Only caveat is the rear, the YXL has no rear body post, but that's easy enough to fabricate.
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfalkon View Post
You'll be needing this in blue or this in red. Length is 770 mm which will give out 58 mm overhang on both ends, width is 470 mm 26.5 mm overhang on both sides, which is favorable for a YXL TT conversion. Only caveat is the rear, the YXL has no rear body post, but that's easy enough to fabricate.
Thanks for the info! .. Do you know the wheel base of these bodies?
bradi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:22 PM   #10

The 1/6 scale Redcat Shredder SC has a wheel base thats only 10mm longer than the XL. You might check that one out.
reddog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:29 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradi View Post
Thanks for the info! .. Do you know the wheel base of these bodies?
Wheel base is 478 YXL has 470 mm. I think that is the shredder body but on the nitrocrx website it is listed as 1/5 body.

Last edited by tonyfalkon; 04-30-2016 at 10:55 AM. Reason: correction
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #12

Could be, I saw it on eBay and its listed as 1/6 scale. Regardless of the scale if the wheelbase measurement is correct that body might work.
reddog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:29 PM   #13

that would look pretty sick!\
axben is offline   Reply With Quote

XL Trophy Truck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trophy Truck mojave450rider General Scale Talk 11 01-19-2016 08:42 PM
JPRC Redbull Trophy Truck VS Score Trophy Truck STRC Upgrade joerc2013 Axial Yeti 10 11-13-2015 11:06 AM
Trophy Truck VS Stadium Truck? KROGOTH Chit Chat 14 08-21-2009 09:18 PM
Which trophy truck to get? cartronicshn Non Crawler RC's 57 06-16-2008 11:26 AM
Cr-01 Trophy Truck! axelsnapr Tamiya CR-01 11 06-02-2008 09:33 AM