Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Pinion Bearing Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Pinion Bearing Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs51 View Post
Does that orange cap just ride tightly on the HD DS without glue etc.? How is it secured? Any reason why you didn't try the HPI rubber boot?
Look at the first page there are pics I posted. Yes it sandwiches between the Wild Boar adapter and driveshaft tube.

Last edited by pro mod steve; 11-26-2016 at 07:29 PM.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #102
Rock Stacker

Cut a hole the size of the wild boar adapter ....push wild boar adapter into hole

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Brinkman804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #103
Pebble Pounder

Hey guys,

Finally putting my YXL back together and I went ahead and installed the HPI rubber boot.
I slid it over the Original drive shaft (the thick plastic one) and then ziptied it to the rear axle. I had to cut the "scrunchy" side so that the hole was big enough to fit the axle through but managed to get it in while still keeping the fit tight so things can't slide through between then shaft and the boot.

I noticed, however, that there seems to be some resistance when I was running it lifted in the air (just making sure everything was running properly and that the TX was bonded). The tires don't continue spinning as long/freely when I let off the throttle in the air. I thought the resistance might just be from the boot so I cut it to loosen it up around the shaft some more but the resistance is still there somewhat.

Would minimal contact on the driveshaft cause that much resistance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbos12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifish View Post
I have been thinking bushings for a while but have had no luck finding them in 15x21x4mm. I will contact locked up RC to see if they can provide the Black Ice bushings in our sizes. Might solve a lot of problems for cheap.
Would these https://www.mcmaster.com/#6658k29/=161lzt7work or too light of a Dynamic Load? Cut down of course.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #105
RCC Addict

I stuck with the deflector idea . I perchance bearings by the ten pack and notice that the cap for the 21mm pinion bearings container fit perfectly and it's very pliable.. I made a center hole, then back the cap with a fender washer snugged the WB joint down and used a exacto to cut it out the pattern. It seems like a great & simple mod .

BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #106
Quarry Creeper

Unfortunately after 96 hours, 42 hours on 4s and 56 hours on 6s jumping, mud bogging and bashing in water, dirt and gravel, I haven't found a way yet, I hate to admit but I failed to destroy any of the parts I used in this HPI boot covered YXL FCDS modification, the YXL front CDS, HPI boot, bearings and axle housing, albeit scratched, are still intact.

Yet being the operative word, I've only been testing this modification on the YXL I haven't tried it on the CMT Yet, I'm sure the CMT will only take 20 minutes an hour tops, to break this modification on 8s. If there is one thing the CMT is consistent with, is breaking parts it hasn't let me down yet. LOL.

I did apply the 3 recessed bearing mod on the YXL RTR, after its initial bearing failure that ate the stock axle housing's pinion bearing walls, in conjunction with this modification using stock bearings, stock axle housing, stock ring and pinion gears( yeah no helical gears yet ). The CMT has pretty much the same setup with one exception, the differential case, the CMT has none it has an exposed steel differential locker ( mangled the HR Aluminum differential locker last year ).
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #107
Pebble Pounder

i had this exact issue 3 or so days ago after running in water and mud..... ignorance was bliss.

now I am rebulding the entire rear end, housing, pinion and main diff gear.... oh and while I am at it new sealed bearings.

well at least it was fun running in 8-10" water
Adidas4275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:58 AM   #108
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
I stuck with the deflector idea . I perchance bearings by the ten pack and notice that the cap for the 21mm pinion bearings container fit perfectly and it's very pliable.. I made a center hole, then back the cap with a fender washer snugged the WB joint down and used a exacto to cut it out the pattern. It seems like a great & simple mod .

Hey buddy how's it going? I finally got around to performing your HD gear mod. Easy peasy mod. I'm needing some bearings to replace the ones I have before I rebuild the diffs. The front gear set is out. Are you using the fast eddie bearings or avid? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #109
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
Hey buddy how's it going? I finally got around to performing your HD gear mod. Easy peasy mod. I'm needing some bearings to replace the ones I have before I rebuild the diffs. The front gear set is out. Are you using the fast eddie bearings or avid? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I feel like the green Boca bearings are the best .. The fast Eddie's are also great. I haven't gotten a chance to try avid but if Pro mod Steve stands behind them I'm sure that they are definitely worth buying. The pinion Shield / deflector is a lifesaver, definitely a must do
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #110
Rock Crawler

Been using AVID for years. Good stuff but as with any bearing you have to take care of em.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #111

Sorry to ask but I have looked and looked. Can someone provide a link on where to buy the red boots that you are being used?
kenyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

I use caps called caplugs. Tons of em on e-bay. I even buy bulk used as they are fine for this.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #113

Do you get the 5/8" sized ones.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:56 AM   #114
Rock Crawler

Number on the plug is 15X 1 1/4 closed end and 1 1/2 open end diameter 7/8 deep. Trim depth to fit.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #115

Thanks so much!!!!!
Old 05-14-2018, 05:53 AM   #116
Quarry Creeper

Sorry to drag up such an old post but can we get some new photos uploaded due to photobuket being jerks?
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #117
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkybob View Post
Sorry to drag up such an old post but can we get some new photos uploaded due to photobuket being jerks?
Try this
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...giikdkpmcpkaon
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #118
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzicul View Post
Doesn't work on Tapatalk / Mobile but thanks heaps!! I'll install it on my desktop :-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2018, 12:35 AM   #119
Quarry Creeper

Sp I got to read through the thread again with photos and I have to ask.. has anyone tried a complete cover from the chassis to the rear axle?

I'm talking like a shock cover that goes over the springs from top to bottom?

Pinion Bearing Issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pinion carrier bearing issues arnesto RC4WD Trail Finder 2 21 02-14-2017 08:58 AM
Just blew inner rear pinion bearing and... twisted Axial Yeti 18 08-01-2015 08:52 PM
Anyone have bearing/diff issues? Patella Rally 12 11-27-2012 05:22 AM
Axle Pinion Bearing pushes out r34sklnnsn Axial SCX-10 9 02-05-2011 09:40 PM
Pinion Bearing Walk? sickfab HPI Wheely King 12 08-29-2007 01:28 PM