Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Axial Yeti XL 4s or 6s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

Thumbs up Axial Yeti XL 4s or 6s

Hi fellow bashers new to rc world got my Yeti XL kit almost done, all good fun must come to an end and its time to choose some batterys im going with some maxamps but just cant deside to go with 4s or 6s can you guys give me some reviews of your experiences with both thanks.

Last edited by 360CLAW; 05-16-2016 at 08:25 PM.
360CLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Axial Yeti XL 4s or 6s

Dude ... I was amazed with 4s after I first drove my XL.... The next day I bought 6s and was blown the f away ... Now I feel like something's wrong with my XL on 4s because I'm so use to the power of 6s... I love running my rig with series 6s or 3s parallel ... The "venom" 3s soft packs fit WAY better than the 2s hard packs..

But The XL will explode if the power of 6s isn't respected .... After some driver finesse you can ( USUALLY ) go bashing and come back with a smile...

Oho as for photos I set up a photobucket... Simple to use... and it's free ..

here's mine .. you can check out the layout and get some ideas of mods... as well as register ..

barharborbashah's Library | Photobucket

Last edited by BarHarborBasher; 05-16-2016 at 08:30 PM.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #3
RCC Addict

If you're new to the RC world, I would HIGHLY recommend you set up with a set of 4s batteries...it has more than enough power to impress the neighbors as well as get you in a TON of trouble all at the same time.

Though this truck is advertised to handle 6s (not very well), I believe it should have been advertised as a 4s vehicle and let those who want to go "all out" run 6s. It is very unstable at very high speeds associated with 6s applications and hard to handle. Ever those who have driven for years talk about the amazing power this thing has and the carnage and damage that much power has on this rig.

Though I run 6s on mine - I rarely drive it anymore, I have it de-tuned and almost never run it full throttle.

4s is the absolute sweet spot for the Yeti XL!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #4

BHB thanks for the input and i have to say man love your mod videos and all the input on this site cant wait to bash the hell out of this thing break parts, drink more beer fix with with new parts and repeat lol
Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #5

Thanks REDSAWACS i respect your knowledge on the Yeti and xl iv read alot of your post all good stuff thanks agin
Old 05-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I bash 6S BUT you have to show it respect or it will kick you in the nuts when you aren't looking. I just can't go back to 4S. On a side note look at SPC lipos. Great battery and you can get a ton of em for what Maxx Amps gets. Been running them for years with no problems.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Talking Re: Axial Yeti XL 4s or 6s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360CLAW View Post
Thanks REDSAWACS i respect your knowledge on the Yeti and xl iv read alot of your post all good stuff thanks agin
Anytime my friend! Anything I can do to help a fellow enthusiast enjoy the hobby and not get frustrated and throw it down, never to return!

I agree with Steve about the batteries - I personally believe Max Amps is a bashers boobytrap. No need for super high end racing batteries in a basher

Congrats and welcome to the addiction!!!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #8

Heres some specs on my rig and the mods iv done
Castle Creations mmx, 1515 2200kv motor with HR motor mount and plate vented slipper clutch plates, 68t steel spur gear hitec 7954 servo
fast eddy bearings all around rpm a arms and shock tower
HR bulk head,front clip,steering bellcrank,alu steering post , body mount
upper and lower link mount, upper and lower links, sway bar clamps and pivot balls, GPM spur gear cover, rear shock damper mount and axel 5/16 tap and thread insert mod thats all fokes, ya my wife is pissed to say the least but my YETI XL KIT shines like a diamond lol
Old 05-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Turn the brake down and punch down wich is up numerically in the Castle link and you will be good. I run 30% brake and 70% punch control on 6S.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
I bash 6S BUT you have to show it respect or it will kick you in the nuts when you aren't looking. I just can't go back to 4S. On a side note look at SPC lipos. Great battery and you can get a ton of em for what Maxx Amps gets. Been running them for years with no problems.
THANKS for the heads up PRO MOD STEVE all check out SPC lipos and thanks agine for the input on 4s vs 6s, ive read alot of your post as well and they have helped me tremendously with my build you rock man!
Old 05-16-2016, 09:28 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
THANKS for the heads up PRO MOD STEVE all check out SPC lipos and thanks agine for the input on 4s vs 6s, ive read alot of your post as well and they have helped me tremendously with my build you rock man!
It's all about helping out. The YXL will throw you some curve balls and frustrate you at times but stick with it. It is an awesome rig and tons of fun.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Heres some specs on my rig and the mods iv done
Castle Creations mmx, 1515 2200kv motor with HR motor mount and plate vented slipper clutch plates, 68t steel spur gear hitec 7954 servo
fast eddy bearings all around rpm a arms and shock tower
HR bulk head,front clip,steering bellcrank,alu steering post , body mount
upper and lower link mount, upper and lower links, sway bar clamps and pivot balls, GPM spur gear cover, rear shock damper mount and axel 5/16 tap and thread insert mod thats all fokes, ya my wife is pissed to say the least but my YETI XL KIT shines like a diamond lol
AND COST THE SAME AMOUNT TOO

Awesome list you got going there bub !!!
Thanks fro the props
Old 05-16-2016, 09:38 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Do you know they call people that run 4s?

Little girls. 6s or nothing.

Actually I'm kidding (a bit). 6s is crazy fun but if you're not careful you're YXL will be on the bench and you won't find it much fun at all. 4s is still crazy. 4s is like being drunk. 6s is like Scarface.

Everyone in this thread is spot on. The YXL takes some getting used to. Putting 6s through it on day one would be like throwing it off a bridge. More batteries isn't a bad thing. It means more run time.
Lol @ BHB, I felt the same way when I went to 4s after a few 6s packs. I thought the ESC or motor was dying.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Do you know they call people that run 4s?

Little girls. 6s or nothing.

Actually I'm kidding (a bit). 6s is crazy fun but if you're not careful you're YXL will be on the bench and you won't find it much fun at all. 4s is still crazy. 4s is like being drunk. 6s is like Scarface.

Everyone in this thread is spot on. The YXL takes some getting used to. Putting 6s through it on day one would be like throwing it off a bridge. More batteries isn't a bad thing. It means more run time.
Lol @ BHB, I felt the same way when I went to 4s after a few 6s packs. I thought the ESC or motor was dying.
I"M FN DYING :l mao:
Old 05-16-2016, 10:37 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have a blast with mine on 4s. I get the go nutty or not at all mentality but I would prefer to have my rig last more than a couple packs between excess power breakages. I do highly recommend getting an aluminum front bulkhead right away else it is an almost certainty that you will break your bevel gears and output bearings. The stock bulkhead flexes under load and causes catastrophic failure.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
I have a blast with mine on 4s. I get the go nutty or not at all mentality but I would prefer to have my rig last more than a couple packs between excess power breakages. I do highly recommend getting an aluminum front bulkhead right away else it is an almost certainty that you will break your bevel gears and output bearings. The stock bulkhead flexes under load and causes catastrophic failure.
I agree 6s leads to UPS
Old 05-16-2016, 11:11 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
On a side note look at SPC lipos. Great battery and you can get a ton of em for what Maxx Amps gets. Been running them for years with no problems.
This, I was in a hurry and did not have time to wait for some proper lipos to get shipped but wanted to run 6s at the beach, so I went to my LHS and purchased some under the counter lipos dude at the store suggested, I should have paid attention as I feel they were under powered for running in conditions where a lot of drag was put on the system, they worked great out at the beach, mostly flat hard packed sand, but when I took them out again a few weeks later to tun in grass and water, the yeti bogged down under full throttle applied it came to a stop in about 4-5 inches of water

I did not realize it at the time because after I pulled it out of the water they kept going till LVC but they were somehow damaged while trying to deliver power they could not deliver, and over the next two months slowly began to puff into oscar meyer hot dogs.... one of them looked really bad so I went to remove it from my hobby shed and it literally went poof in my hand, had to drop it and side kick it out the shed door..... check the vid out brand new lipos two runs on them destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD_a7Grh5Ac
jump_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:42 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I watched a load testing video over batteries with the same specks

They were at the bottom of the list.. They had the Worst recovery time which is why you went from 25 v~ to 12v~ lol They suck from what I saw from a unbiased youtube tester ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump_it View Post
This, I was in a hurry and did not have time to wait for some proper lipos to get shipped but wanted to run 6s at the beach, so I went to my LHS and purchased some under the counter lipos dude at the store suggested, I should have paid attention as I feel they were under powered for running in conditions where a lot of drag was put on the system, they worked great out at the beach, mostly flat hard packed sand, but when I took them out again a few weeks later to tun in grass and water, the yeti bogged down under full throttle applied it came to a stop in about 4-5 inches of water

I did not realize it at the time because after I pulled it out of the water they kept going till LVC but they were somehow damaged while trying to deliver power they could not deliver, and over the next two months slowly began to puff into oscar meyer hot dogs.... one of them looked really bad so I went to remove it from my hobby shed and it literally went poof in my hand, had to drop it and side kick it out the shed door..... check the vid out brand new lipos two runs on them destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD_a7Grh5Ac
Old 05-17-2016, 12:03 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

If your going to be running in the dirt, definitely start out with 4s. 6s is harder to control in dirt, the extra power is almost useless because you can barely control it. Also pick up a 17t pinion to run with 4s. You can get 6s when you get the hang of it.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:10 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
If your going to be running in the dirt, definitely start out with 4s. 6s is harder to control in dirt, the extra power is almost useless because you can barely control it. Also pick up a 17t pinion to run with 4s. You can get 6s when you get the hang of it.
Ya SO true !! My wife is getting the hang of 3s with the 11 tooth pin crawling WAY less intimidating lol then 6s 23 t lol

We figured we would get her use to 2s parallel 15t bashing then slowly work her way up !!

I probably should've done the same lol

Axial Yeti XL 4s or 6s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
Yeti Located - Axial Yeti bashing eunique Scale Videos! 0 02-12-2015 08:42 AM
Yeti Located - Axial Yeti bashing eunique Scale Videos! 0 01-09-2015 02:10 AM