Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: BHB Transmissionmod/RR slipper mod/ center diffmod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default BHB Transmissionmod/RR slipper mod/ center diffmod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkYKBWyUcN0&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkYKBWyUcN0&sns=em

Hey guys I think I solved the transmission issue as well as came up with a center differential for the XL
This is going to be a three part series.

First part showing modifications and tips

Second part installing HR Gears , Boca ceramics, mod pins, RR Slipper mod and a two speed breakdown

Third part will consist of servo programing with the HPP-21 PUS for transmission end points , zeroing dead band and CCW

Then I'm starting a series over ESC soldering,programing XT150 connectors, custom bec wiring with separate power source, lights and hardwiring a traxxas audio to a MMX

after that the DOMINATOR XLX will be ALIVE

Last edited by BarHarborBasher; 05-24-2016 at 08:48 PM.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: BHB Transmissionmod/RR slipper mod/ center diffmod

Can't wait to see part 2 I think I need to rebuild my XL tranny
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Can't wait to see part 2 I think I need to rebuild my XL tranny
Yep On-sized transmission pins are the golden ticket grand pa
I've noticed after loosing 4 idler gears that it ALWAYS HAPPENED after I let off the throttle !!!

The 34 t gear has perpetual inertia that causes it to turn ( WITH IN THE SLOP OF THE KEY PIN ) enough to bind and destroy the idler gear... That's why the arterial shrapnel of teeth and bearings are always opposing the location of the 34 tooth gear masher...
Old 05-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I want those pins.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
I want those pins.
Send me your shafts and 2 gears and I'll set you up

It feels 100% better
Might as well send your pinions as well lol
Old 05-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
Send me your shafts and 2 gears and I'll set you up

It feels 100% better
Might as well send your pinions as well lol

Can't you just make them magically appear in my transmission? WTF kind of operation are you running?

Do you really need the gears? I understand needing the shafts because you want to make sure it fits tight. What the heck am I saying? We're talking about Axial. Every gear is different. /sarc

If only there was a way to send money for shafts, pins, and beer.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Can't you just make them magically appear in my transmission? WTF kind of operation are you running?

Do you really need the gears? I understand needing the shafts because you want to make sure it fits tight. What the heck am I saying? We're talking about Axial. Every gear is different. /sarc

If only there was a way to send money for shafts, pins, and beer.
lmao
This is true .. Every part is different.. I was making part 2 last night and noticed the NEW spur output is bent .... Good thing I bought 2... BS Then I received a set of beautiful twisted aluminum wheels with adapters ...but the XL RC4WD adapters don't work with the RC4WD 40 series wheels WTF !!! So I flipped the table and kicked the dog lol
So sick of the Rc bs... I just wanna get what I pay for and have it last more than one run.. The nice Axial Beadlocks are already stripped out after the Axle nut losing up ..even with blue Loctite ... So discouraging... I'm gonna do the hub conversion to them and the rest of my stripped out rims.. I've also had a issue where the pin broke but the Loctite stayed strong.. Which lead to the hex heating up and melting the wheel hub..
Old 05-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

So if the pins are the issue is it really necessary to use the ceramic bearings. I'm guessing the ceramic hold up much better without lubrication. I packed all the bearing in my trans when I rebuild it last time.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Ya ... I think the play in the spur and output gears are more problematic than the sub-par Axial bearings.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I know I'll regret saying this because my transmission will probably blow this weekend....but, I have never had a transmission issue with my YXL.

The only gears trouble I have had was the rear bevel. The issue I had up front was due to the tree jumping into the YXL and the bulkhead exploding.

I don't get to drive it as much as most of you guys. I know I don't get to drive as much as BHB. I don't have much free time during the week and lately I'm lucky if I can even get a pack through it on weekends. I told the girlfriend I need more RC time. Should be single any day now
Old 06-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Well I might as well elaborate on the theory of my (rubber ) center diff...

I am using two ring gears ...One on each end with a rubber cylinder in between. The ringears on each end provides bearing support ! I plan on using a much larger bearing on each end. I am osculating out the ring gear holes for deflection/twist of the grade 8 assembly bolts. The output shaft will be the output shaft from the transmission.. Yes solid but I intend on drilling holes 1/3 from each end and running Hardened pins through the rubber cylinder / through the output shaft (inside of the cylinder ) to create a flexible key ... After the key is installed I intend on a aluminum sleeve or Kevlar windings to retain rubbers integrity and keep the output pins in place... So essentially, the drivetrain would have (FLEX) in two locations in the BHB center diff..
1~ the bolts that fasten the ringrears on each end would be allowed flex though the rubber divider.
2~ the pins through the output shaft would have internal flex as well..
3~ This would allow the center diff a small enough diameter so it could be mounted in the EXISTING transmission holes With the exact same output shaft as the XL... Dimensionally the same...

All in theory..

I've always been fascinated by the fact that dump trucks, military trucks, Chevy, Jeeps, Dodge and ford's have ALL relied on Leaf Spring bolts... 8 bolts that hold It ALL together that NEVER BREAK all due to the thanks of rubber !!!
As well as 2 motor bolts that hold the motor in place by rubber ...

I'm way behind on projects but I think this one just moved up the list
Old 12-13-2016, 10:53 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
Well I might as well elaborate on the theory of my (rubber ) center diff...

I am using two ring gears ...One on each end with a rubber cylinder in between. The ringears on each end provides bearing support ! I plan on using a much larger bearing on each end. I am osculating out the ring gear holes for deflection/twist of the grade 8 assembly bolts. The output shaft will be the output shaft from the transmission.. Yes solid but I intend on drilling holes 1/3 from each end and running Hardened pins through the rubber cylinder / through the output shaft (inside of the cylinder ) to create a flexible key ... After the key is installed I intend on a aluminum sleeve or Kevlar windings to retain rubbers integrity and keep the output pins in place... So essentially, the drivetrain would have (FLEX) in two locations in the BHB center diff..
1~ the bolts that fasten the ringrears on each end would be allowed flex though the rubber divider.
2~ the pins through the output shaft would have internal flex as well..
3~ This would allow the center diff a small enough diameter so it could be mounted in the EXISTING transmission holes With the exact same output shaft as the XL... Dimensionally the same...

All in theory..

I've always been fascinated by the fact that dump trucks, military trucks, Chevy, Jeeps, Dodge and ford's have ALL relied on Leaf Spring bolts... 8 bolts that hold It ALL together that NEVER BREAK all due to the thanks of rubber !!!
As well as 2 motor bolts that hold the motor in place by rubber ...

I'm way behind on projects but I think this one just moved up the list
So back in June I sent Traxxas a enquiry about using a XMAXX as a future build and I explained my BHB RUBBER DIFFERENTIAL along with details about other projects...

SO NOW I SEE THAT TRAXXAS XMAXX IS USING A RUBBER CENTER DIFFERENTIAL FOR THE XMAXX 8S AS WELL AS A UPGRADE FOR THE EXISTING ONE

And AXIAL refuses to acknowledge my concepts with the XL because of the HD PINION GRUDGE ... What they don't know is thats what pushes me harder.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

The rubber dampener is straight out of the X0-1 which has been around for years
Curb Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb Crawler View Post
The rubber dampener is straight out of the X0-1 which has been around for years
Oho really? I wonder if it is like Ike the C/D that is planned for the XMAXX ? I'll have to look into it not that it makes much of a difference lol...

BHB Transmissionmod/RR slipper mod/ center diffmod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BHB Vanquish solid front axle Mod BarHarborBasher Axial Yeti XL 8 04-27-2016 11:35 PM
Center Dif or Center Slipper or Both sweli Rally 6 02-08-2013 07:36 AM