Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: An alternative to hd gear mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #81
Rock Stacker

Default Re: An alternative to hd gear mod

Thanks a lot again. I’ve been combing through the forums for days. Sorting out the info. Going back a few years sometimes and putting together the chain of events with this pinion deal. I put the hobby away for a couple years so I almost totally missed out on this badass truck.
Nastyn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2020, 11:06 AM   #82

The fact is this is a method used by many. Including me with no mod of the pinion and as far as simply getting a third bearing in there to take on some of the work, it works. screaming and crying that it dosnt work when it does, dosnt make sense.

Ive been running 3 bearings forever, long before this post even started and no grinding of any pinion. And no failures. I don't get what all the fuss is about. I understand completely that the pinion seating will not be altered without grinding the pinion, but that's all nice, yet many many dozens of runs later my XL is working just fine thank you with 3 bearings in the rear and no modded pinion.

Nuff said. Done. Complete.
CAYBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
That's because it doesn't make any common sense...

So YOU TWO.... THREE ... whatever ... think that Vanquish PULLED their AXIAL because their is a MAGIC shim sequence... And the FN gears don't even fit into a Dhavk V1... God you guys are blind... You guys must work for Axial

I think the best thing for me to do is pull my HD thread and let guys destroy their shit trying out your mod..But I won't..
And J.B ..... You've got a junkMAXX right? Really haw many times did you drive the XL? I bet you ran nothing but 4s as well ... Probably 3-4 times... Thanks for voicing in

So pleases explain why Vanquish and DHAWK recognize this as a problem?
The fact is this is a method used by many. Including me with no mod of the pinion and as far as simply getting a third bearing in there to take on some of the work, it works. screaming and crying that it dosnt work when it does, dosnt make sense.

Ive been running 3 bearings forever, long before this post even started and no grinding of any pinion. And no failures. I don't get what all the fuss is about. I understand completely that the pinion seating will not be altered without grinding the pinion, but that's all nice, yet many many dozens of runs later my XL is working just fine thank you with 3 bearings in the rear and no modded pinion. While I understand your concerns about mesh reduction, sorry, but this just simply has worked and continues to work without ANY mesh reduction. So while you feel that makes no sense. Sorry, reality wins over lack of understanding. Im sure you understand.

Nuff said. Done. Complete.
CAYBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #84
Rock Stacker

hahaa... sad to disappoint so many, but Barharbor isn't wrong..... blue doesn't turn red or any other miracle happen no matter how hard you wish it. Most of the times that "3bearing mod only" solution "works", but it leaves the unwanted possibility for the pinion to slide in closer to ring gear in some situations.

There are only 3 ways to take the HD pinion far enough from ring gear for a good mesh.
1) BHB pinion mod, dremel the lip off
2) add a spacer as FIRST before the first bearing inside, that spacer must match the outer ring of the bearing, taking the first bearing outward a bit.
3) to leave the pinion floating, ie. so that the pinion pack is not tight and there is enough room for the first bearing to slide back. This is what you've been doing with just the 3 bearing mod. Bad news is that if you push the pinion in, it will not turn anymore as the mesh goes too tight. So anytime there is a sudden force that pushes the front driveshaft forward and the pinion deeper into the housing, the mesh gets too tight. This is not often, but happens sometimes, most often with front end collision. The only housing I know of that does it possible to use HD pinion without leaving it floating is Dhawk v2, where you can lock the whole pinion pack staying put further away from the ring gear, because dhawk has that narrower section between the bearings you can use to position the pinion.
xwoop is offline   Reply With Quote

An alternative to hd gear mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Narrow xr10 mod axles alternative driftah Axial SCX-10 7 06-03-2015 09:29 PM
Pinion Gear Alternative ??? Big Tex Venom Creeper 5 05-05-2012 03:55 PM
mod 1 pinion gears.......... bob1961 General Crawlers 2 10-14-2010 04:12 PM
pinion mod drizzt Newbie General 0 08-06-2008 12:00 PM