Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: BHB Wax Diff Mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default BHB Wax Diff Mod

Hey guys .. I'm heat to fully endorse this mod that I came up with one late night looking for a BETTER differential viscosity.. Then I started daydreaming...
What if I came up with a Multi-Viscosity diff (fluid) that provided ultimate traction at slow speeds and provided a open diff wile bashing..

So here it is ... The BHB WAX MOD... Guys.... I have tested this set-up for extreme crawling, 2 speed with 11 tooth pinion to a 23/68 highspeed runs..to jumping,bashing and towing my daughter... It WORKS !! It stays solid under crawling situations and melts down and opens the diff wile bashing .. then hardens back up ready for the next time what ever it may be
The NERO has electric diff... moving parts...wires...cheep baby servo..Locked into a Stock TX/Rx...and I don't know if the inner diff assembly is serviceable ...
Wax works for me...

WAX MOD VIDEO
https://youtu.be/p69Q4EPcl-Y

I wanted to post this picture so it may save guys from a timely breakdown that isn't needed..

This is the first inspection since I did the mod back in March... I noticed some wax (Leaked ) out because the ring gear bolts loosened up.

This the wax that I chose ... It is a hard medium far as wax goes.. And this is the first bulkhead bearing that I've blown in 200 + runs.. my BaD

Guys I want to explain a problem that I had...
Hydraulic pressure !!! Enough to cause the screws to break off in the diff case.. After the diffs got warm and expanded even MORE than the pressure that ( I ) already created !!
So think of the diff case as a hydraulic jack...
After the ring gear is installed and the fluid is at the proper level all of the air and extra fluid is trapped and gaining pressure with every twist of the screw...

SO after the ring gear bolts are finger snug ...
Rotate the diff case so the (set screw) pin port is facing up (12 o'clock) ... remove the set screw and use this port as a VENT
After the ring gear bolts are tightened down reinstall the set screw and now you have a (full ) NON-Pressurized Differential case
You'll be amazed how much fluid comes out with every little twist of a screw... Hold the diff with a rag for clean work

So I came up with this little trick to prevent the screws from backing out.. I'll let ya know how it works in a couple of months lol

I hope one of you guys try it out .. I wouldn't steer you guys wrong just be cool Its been basher tested
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: BHB Wax Diff Mod

After I do my river crossing I want to pull the diffs out see how there looking, I may just try this mod.
Thanks for sharing mate
VNEMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:33 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Sounds great!! I really love it.. It was hopeful thinking at first but after performing almost 4 months of awesomeness I'm sold... it's crazy... I'll go crawling for a couple hours and the front seems locked... then I'll go pit bashing and the front still digs but it's definitely open... it's like it's friggen magic ... great steering response as well...I'm tempted to try it in the rear diff also... I'm using silly putty in the rear and it's pretty much locked up but still allows drivetrain give... the biggest downside of the putty is that the XL is a little more tippy with a locked rear..but standing wheelies are fun lol
Old 07-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You should do that with the GPM metal diff cup.

Even better, do that with the metal diff cup (and parts inside) and SELL IT!!!! You would need to make some kind of cap to cover the top since the ring gear wouldn't be on what you ship out.

I'm too lazy to upload the "take my money meme". So just imagine the "take my money" meme here.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I'd like to offer BHD drivetrain proof components for the XL in the near future. I'm working on getting a hardened slippery shaft milled out as well.. the center diff is ready for testing. And I need to finish the straight axle front conversion as well. While I'm at it the rear axle bushing replacement for the HD gear. Glad to know I have you as a customer man!! Thanks for the support
Old 07-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Customer? WTF man, I thought I was in the testing pool.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
RCC Addict

O you are brother !!!
Just for that I'm going to send you 11 tooth pinion so you can run over your bomber
Pm me your address
Old 04-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

How does the wax mod compare to the 1,000,000 cst diff fluid you've run? Is that 1,000,000 cst fluid enough to keep the diff locked enough for crawling?
Pete9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete9 View Post
How does the wax mod compare to the 1,000,000 cst diff fluid you've run? Is that 1,000,000 cst fluid enough to keep the diff locked enough for crawling?
No. not for low wheel speed crawling... I've recently used plumbers putty which is more pliable then silly putty yet also never dries out. The wax works awesome as long as you use the dense wax. The softer wax crumbles up. The hard wax always coagulate back together even after months of abuse...

I think that the 1,000,000 cst and the wax during bashing are about the same cst... The wax during crawling is comparable to plumbers putty possibly stiffer ..
Old 05-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Sign me up. I bought some wax and have my diff cleaned up as good as it's going to get. Ready to put in some wax. I also am going to be rocking the BHB mod with triple bearings. Thanks for all the tips BHB.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #11
RCC Addict

No problem it's definitely a multi purpose setup. It might be too much traction for some.. Just remember to vent your diffs when your tighten down the ring gear screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
Sign me up. I bought some wax and have my diff cleaned up as good as it's going to get. Ready to put in some wax. I also am going to be rocking the BHB mod with triple bearings. Thanks for all the tips BHB.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BHB Wax Diff Mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BHB Transmissionmod/RR slipper mod/ center diffmod BarHarborBasher Axial Yeti XL 13 12-13-2016 12:09 PM
BHB Vanquish solid front axle Mod BarHarborBasher Axial Yeti XL 8 04-27-2016 11:35 PM
Slash Diff Mod. thunderwagn Non Crawler RC's 26 11-10-2009 12:26 PM
Heavy duty diff mod luxcrawler HPI Wheely King 5 03-01-2009 07:00 AM
OG Diff mod to fit yokes????? abew330 Newbie General 0 12-31-2006 12:32 PM