RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Yeti XL (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti-xl/)
-   -   Diff Cup Problems (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti-xl/568138-diff-cup-problems.html)

pro mod steve 07-24-2016 03:56 PM

Diff Cup Problems

Went to service rear bearings and found this. The screw broke off in the cup. Any one ever dealt with this? first time for me and truck ran perfect today no issues till this. All other screws are good and snug.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/t...psq89on8rw.jpg

VNEMSS 07-24-2016 08:32 PM

Diff Cup Problems

Found one like that in my savage flux.
All screws where loose.
Quick tip just like wheel nuts, locktite

bbos12 07-24-2016 11:09 PM

Re: Diff Cup Problems

think it may have broken when you were installing and just fell out in the diff or do you think it snapped during use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pro mod steve 07-25-2016 06:18 AM

it snapped during use. That cup has been in there a while and this was the first time I noticed diff fluid from the cup leaking so I started checking screws. After I took the cup apart I actually broke 2 screws. They were both only in about 2 or 3 threads.

BarHarborBasher 07-25-2016 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pro mod steve (Post 5538983)
it snapped during use. That cup has been in there a while and this was the first time I noticed diff fluid from the cup leaking so I started checking screws. After I took the cup apart I actually broke 2 screws. They were both only in about 2 or 3 threads.

This is why I explained the VENTING OF THE DIFF CUP...
The diff turns into a hydraulic chamber causing
1- screws to break !!
2- the inevitable lol leakage..

The diff needs to be vented before the ring gear is tightened... I use the set screw port ... I've tried to shed light on this before but it's hard to understand till you lose a plastic or aluminum diff cup !!!

cmbscx10 07-25-2016 07:25 AM

Sucks they broke on you PMS. Personallyfrom experience using axial screws is like using their bearings, 50/50. I've been using Protek screws from Amain in my last 5 rigs with zero breakage. Every chance I get I replace the stock ones. That was just a plain old screw failure and nothing else.

derfman 07-25-2016 08:17 AM

Every time I repair / rebuild something ( plastic part ) I use a tiny drop of CA on the screws or bolts .
So far So good

pro mod steve 07-25-2016 07:43 PM

I did vent through the screw hole in the cup like you instructed.

cmbscx10 07-25-2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pro mod steve (Post 5539345)
I did vent through the screw hole in the cup like you instructed.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong and HL theories are good or bad. If the diff is filled correctly then the so called Hydro lock is not really even a point. More on that below.

The grub screw is not there to prevent HL. It is there to install the pin for the Sun Gear.

I only have experience in a few diffs and when i built my YXL i was like WTF is this non-sense. After looking at it it is just a shit design of a Diff housing. We all know the Axial plastic sucks and we alll know the hea generated by these diffs. i have said it before, the heat softens the plastic, the diff housing distorts under load, the ring gears walks and has a potential to ruin change and mesh and in Poor Steve's case break the inferior screws.

Diffs i have had the pleasure to rebuild and build on multiple occasions and ALL do not have a grub/HL screw. Why if the screw is needed to prevent HL that these MFG's don't also have them?

Losi 8
Losi 8T
Losi 8T 2.0
Losi SCTE 2.0
Losi XXL
Losi LST
Losi XL
Losi 5T
Team Associated Rival
Kyosho Mad Force
Kyosho Twin Force
Redcat Racing Chimera

I could be totally wrong and i will glady slurp down a pot of crow soup with a boot, shoe and a hookers stiletto in it if you can explain it so i can understand not what hydrolock is but why Axial is the only one in my limited diff experience that used it.

Sjonnie82 07-26-2016 12:01 AM

I do agree, but if I am not wrong my mad force ve also had a grub screw... Will have a look when I have time to open the diff.

Tzicul 07-26-2016 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjonnie82 (Post 5539437)
I do agree, but if I am not wrong my mad force ve also had a grub screw... Will have a look when I have time to open the diff.

Yes, it has it. And also the LST XXL has it. I'm not saying it's for venting, just that it is in there for that pin.

Sjonnie82 07-26-2016 10:58 AM

"thumbsup" I knew I had it right "thumbsup", those holes aren't for bleeding.... But only to 'mount' the pin for the diff gears, not only axial has this design. Nobody bleeds their diff normally the most important things is to fill properly and not use to much oil.
Not every handling needs a mod, sometimes a clear mind also helps "thumbsup"

cmbscx10 07-26-2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjonnie82 (Post 5539437)

I will stand corrected and take a sip of my soup. One of my Kyosho diffs has a grub screw and the other doesn't. I bought the axles used so I wonder WTF the one without it is from.

I have had 8 diffs between my XXL and Muggy and non have a grub screw. I bet because of the age the previous owners upgraded. I know they did because Losi 8T2.0 diffs were in my XXL and 8B were in my Muggy.

Sjonnie82 07-26-2016 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmbscx10 (Post 5539723)
I will stand corrected and take a sip of my soup. One of my Kyosho diffs has a grub screw and the other doesn't. I bought the axles used so I wonder WTF the one without it is from.

I have had 8 diffs between my XXL and Muggy and non have a grub screw. I bet because of the age the previous owners upgraded. I know they did because Losi 8T2.0 diffs were in my XXL and 8B were in my Muggy.

How is the soup :razz:

cmbscx10 07-26-2016 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjonnie82 (Post 5539767)
How is the soup :razz:

You know if it wasn't for the hooker shoe it might need a little extra flavoring so not bad actually.

pro mod steve 07-26-2016 08:09 PM

BHB's idea has sound logic to it so I did it. I don't know either if it is right or wrong or neutral.

BarHarborBasher 07-28-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pro mod steve (Post 5539948)
BHB's idea has sound logic to it so I did it. I don't know either if it is right or wrong or neutral.

All I was doing was learning from my (breaks) ... After 2-3 broken screws I was thinking HL was the culprit ... And after seeing the excess of Oil that comes out it only made perfect sense...

I'm NOT claiming Axial or any other RC manufacture came up with this as a protocol .... I did...It was just something that I noticed that I wanted to share..

My buddy came over with a redcat diff and I drilled it out and installed a grub screw because it made sense ... Completely FULL diff with out pressure..."thumbsup"