Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: My Yeti XL On The Way! Hurry Up UPS!!! ;)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 05:34 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My Yeti XL On The Way! Hurry Up UPS!!! ;)

I've had my eye on one of these for a while and my primary purpose is to bash and do some extended distance FPV runs

I got the kit with CC 2200 motor & ESC, 20 amp BEC, and Hitec HS-7950TH servo

I will be tossing on a variety of Proline wheels and tires and this truck will be neon green

Future plans include LED light bar and the usual "must have" upgrades

I'll post a first ride report, hopefully in two weeks, or so

Woo hoo!

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My Yeti XL On The Way! Hurry Up UPS!!! ;)

Watch the build book as there was stuff labeled wrong when I built my kit. Mainly bearing sizes. Get a good bearing kit to start off. Stockers are junk. AVID has been my fav for years.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:55 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thank you

I've built a few Axial vehicles and I realize their products and instructions aren't perfect (ha) and that's probably true for just about everyone else's r/c vehicles out there - but that's a very good reminder (my build notes for the Pro-MT were a little over the top - there were at least two significant design flaws in that machine)

I have a ceramic bearing set on the way

Also --> are there any "really must have first" mods - besides the bearings, shock caps, and DIY plastic-cap-cover at the drive shaft to rear axle?

I'm happy there are several providers with after market products out there - you don't get that when the products immediately hits the market

I may get a slightly smaller pinion because I only have intentions of running this on 4S and top speed isn't my main priority - I'd like to be able to crawl out slowly when I get in ruts, and stuff

YXL's seem to flip rather easily but that comes with the chassis design. Rolling over when bashing with a high clearance vehicle is not a problem - in my opinion, it's about driver control. Wraith's are fun to bash with but if I want something that's not as easy to roll over, then I'll reach for an Arrma Kraton, or similar, for different types of bashing - they all have pros & cons.

And hopefully, we all agree, it's impossible to have too many r/c vehicles in the garage, am I right? (ha)

I know this probably sounds stupid but I enjoy building as much as bashing - I love the engineering that goes into these vehicles, it's always fascinating and I have a lot of respect for those who design and manufacture our vehicles. I learned long ago, none of this stuff is perfect and sometimes, when you strengthen one component, another one will fail, so sometimes it's a balancing act to improve durability without replacing "everything" and besides, sometimes the "give" that occurs when stressing plastic is a good thing - certainly not always though.

One other thing - because I'm going to use this machine also for FPV, I anticipate adding about two extra pounds of equipment - should I go ahead and plan on different shock oil and get some stiffer springs?

Thanks

Last edited by Axial Rose; 08-06-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:11 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Have fun with the build I used Fast Eddy bearings and they held up great I also ran on 4s only and never had pinion problems.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I plan on building this thing next week - some more parts are getting here today

Someone in the Axial RR10 Bomber thread mentioned he uses Shoe Goo (?) to mount his tires to non-beadlock rims

I know 1/10 RR10's on 3S are way different from 1/8 Yeti XL's on 6S but . . . probably a really stupid question - does anyone think the Shoe Goo trick would work on this truck?

Thank you
Old 12-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post
I plan on building this thing next week - some more parts are getting here today

Someone in the Axial RR10 Bomber thread mentioned he uses Shoe Goo (?) to mount his tires to non-beadlock rims

I know 1/10 RR10's on 3S are way different from 1/8 Yeti XL's on 6S but . . . probably a really stupid question - does anyone think the Shoe Goo trick would work on this truck?

Thank you
Nope. I'll trust CA to glue my tires and skin together but not Shoe Goo. It works well on body repairs with drywall tape but it doesn't set like CA does. More flexible I guess is what I am saying. Do the spare, let it cure and tug on it before you do the others.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
I guess is what I am saying. Do the spare, let it cure and tug on it before you do the others.
I forgot about the spare - great idea - thanks
Old 12-08-2016, 11:25 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

CA barely keeps the tires on the rim when running 6s.

I would get the CI foams before you glue the tires. Getting tires unglued to put foams in is a PITA. Plus you don't want to jank up those wild peaks.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thank you

I've built a few Axial vehicles and I realize their products and instructions aren't perfect (ha) and that's probably true for just about everyone else's r/c vehicles out there - but that's a very good reminder (my build notes for the Pro-MT were a little over the top - there were at least two significant design flaws in that machine)

I have a ceramic bearing set on the way

Also --> are there any "really must have first" mods - besides the bearings, shock caps, and DIY plastic-cap-cover at the drive shaft to rear axle?

I'm happy there are several providers with after market products out there - you don't get that when the products immediately hits the market

I may get a slightly smaller pinion because I only have intentions of running this on 4S and top speed isn't my main priority - I'd like to be able to crawl out slowly when I get in ruts, and stuff

YXL's seem to flip rather easily but that comes with the chassis design. Rolling over when bashing with a high clearance vehicle is not a problem - in my opinion, it's about driver control. Wraith's are fun to bash with but if I want something that's not as easy to roll over, then I'll reach for an Arrma Kraton, or similar, for different types of bashing - they all have pros & cons.

And hopefully, we all agree, it's impossible to have too many r/c vehicles in the garage, am I right? (ha)

I know this probably sounds stupid but I enjoy building as much as bashing - I love the engineering that goes into these vehicles, it's always fascinating and I have a lot of respect for those who design and manufacture our vehicles. I learned long ago, none of this stuff is perfect and sometimes, when you strengthen one component, another one will fail, so sometimes it's a balancing act to improve durability without replacing "everything" and besides, sometimes the "give" that occurs when stressing plastic is a good thing - certainly not always though.

One other thing - because I'm going to use this machine also for FPV, I anticipate adding about two extra pounds of equipment - should I go ahead and plan on different shock oil and get some stiffer springs?

Thanks

Agree with what pretty much everything you said, some people's expectations of rc's is way off, and the first little problem or flaw is the end of the world. Nothing is perfect but it's finding the right combo or balancing act.
Your on track for must have's. But maybe look at changing your steering. Stock is terrible.
Can't wait to see some vid's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VNEMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Someone may be wondering why am I waiting so long to build this machine?

Well, I have 2 1/2 weeks off at the end of December/early January and I ordered parts . . . at the beginning of December

These were parts from an eBay vendor and the only shipping/tracking message indicates the following:
Your item has been processed through a facility in SHENZHEN EMS, CHINA at 9:17 am on December 6, 2016.
Is this normal to take SO LONG to get parts from China?

I guess I could go ahead and start building shocks and other stuff, eh?

Old 12-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Going on week 4 waiting on DHAWK parts from china. Longest it has ever taken. All previous orders were about 2 weeks.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The parts I ordered from China via eBay will be delivered Tuesday

I have already completed steps #30 to #34, and #37 to #50

Woo hoo!

Last edited by Axial Rose; 12-25-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Every time I build one of these machines I'm always fascinated by the engineering - I think this is probably stupid but I think I enjoy building more than bashing (except for shocks, I don't like building shocks - ha)

Of course, there is always something that could be improved with these kits but it's like I tell my students: When you buy a brand new AMG SL65 Roadster . . . next year, they're going to have an improved version so take what you got and make the most of it
Merry Christmas to those who observe
Happy building and bashing to everyone!
Old 12-26-2016, 08:40 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

A few photos of the (really boring) build while waiting for parts to arrive on Tuesday . . .

Last edited by Axial Rose; 12-26-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Steps completed thus far:

1, 5, 17, 24, 30-34, 37-46, 49-51, & 54

With step #17, I'm hoping I attached part #AX31036[1] with the connecting piece towards the back in the "down" position (the manual is not clear)

Also, I assembled the links in steps 16, 20, & 25

It seems there may be some errors in the assembly manual:
  • page 11, step 1, AX31057 should be x4 (not x2)
  • page 11, step 1, and page 13, step 5: wrong bearing indicated and quantity should be 2, not 4

Step 50, my kit came with yellow springs, not white (short springs, front shocks)

Short cuts:
  • I'm probably going to "borrow" the ProLine trenchers off my 801xt - they're just a little bit smaller than the stock tires - this will get me going quicker than using the stock tires (but I did get some nice foams that were recommended by someone here and I have ProLine wheels which, in my opinion, look great)
  • I'm getting metal panels - I might paint, cut, and install the plastic later

As far as the wiring harness - would it be better to create a "Y harness" for series battery connection and then plug this into the ESC - or - should I just wire the harness directly to the ESC? (without plugging the harness in separately)

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Panels should ship tomorrow thank you sir!
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Nice build so far and detailed updates.

Side Note: I followed the manual to the T and like most the stock shocks leaked almost immediately. After I installed the TA Bladders and Orings below they never leaked until I started the surgery on mine.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-as...sc89352/p28342
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Axial shocks leaking? But, they're designed to leak, right?

Anyway, I'm a bit pissed off because my kit did not come with any AX31269 Washer 15x18x.2mm (shims)

So, I guess I will have to order them from Axial?

This is so frustrating - this is keeping me from completing the build!

Old 12-29-2016, 04:08 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
So, I guess I will have to order them from Axial?
My kit had a few missing parts as well, which I guess can happen considering the amount of pieces. Axial solved it brilliantly however, everything missing was shipped free of charge within days.
SvdV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Here's the response from Axial . . .

I've said this before . . . and, I'll say it again . . . if the companies I've worked for provided the same level of quality to their customers as Axial does, then they would have gone out of business

It's a fact

I'm going to use the 3-bearing mod for my first YXL - I have shims ordered from TowerHobbies . . . plus some other stuff since they're doing free shipping until the end of the month

Last edited by Axial Rose; 12-29-2016 at 09:30 AM.

My Yeti XL On The Way! Hurry Up UPS!!! ;) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti XL Lower suspension and hop ups StubbyUSC Axial Yeti XL 1 05-28-2015 06:04 PM
Fedex please hurry up!!!! stroker613 Axial Wraith 0 09-09-2011 08:59 AM
hurry i need help life_livin Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 06-14-2008 12:10 PM