Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Lucky!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Smile Lucky!

My lhs is closing down so there's very little left on the shelves, yesterday I bought a Bomber kit for $260, got home and remembered seeing a Yeti XL kit behind the counter up on a high shelf tagged at $420. So this morning I thought what the heck I'll return the Bomber and fork out the extra $$ for the Yeti. I checked and Tower is selling it for $499 -$75 coupon. I get to the lhs and tell the manager " Tower is selling it for only five bucks more than you. I asked can't you do better? He ended up selling it to me for $350
I own a Yeti RTR and a YXL RTR, this will be my first kit EVER. I know there are kit building threads here and lots on you tube, but I'm hoping to be pointed in the best direction. I'm scared to death of electronics.

Thanks in advance
Cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Lucky!

Congrats on the score. Just dive in and we'll help if ya need it. Loved building my YXL kit.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Congrats & welcome!

Let us know if your YXL kit has the straight or spiral-cut gears - the first run kits had straight gears

There are some great people here who not only know what they are doing but they are happy to help

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Awesome! Thanks!
Old 01-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I too just joined the ranks of the Axial Yeti XL family. My kit arrived at Christmas ordered from Amazon and it had the straight cut pinions... :(. Did the later kits have anything else different besides the spiral cut HD pinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tphjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphjill View Post
I too just joined the ranks of the Axial Yeti XL family. My kit arrived at Christmas ordered from Amazon and it had the straight cut pinions... :(. Did the later kits have anything else different besides the spiral cut HD pinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome man !
Far as I know that is the only difference...
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphjill View Post
Did the later kits have anything else different besides the spiral cut HD pinions?
I believe the kits that came out as the "2nd generation" included spiral-cut gears but did not include any shims (a representative from Axial sent this information to me via email)

If you had spiral-cut gears and wanted to perform the 3-bearing pinion mod, then you'll need some shims

I don't think shims are necessary if you're going to perform the BHB pinion mod (for spiral-cut pinion)

There are a few errors in the assembly manual - I believe my build thread indicates some of them

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

So I've started my build and find that l am missing 4 washers (AX31269) 15x18x0.2mm to install front and rear diffs. I'm assuming they are important spacers so I contacted Axial. They will get them to me in a week to 10 days.
Is it critical that those spacers are installed?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I do have spiral cut HD pinions. I prefer to keep them as is. So is it the opinion of the experienced builders here that spiral cut HD will be fine with no washers?
It's my first ever build and I'm trying to do it by the numbers.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post
I believe the kits that came out as the "2nd generation" included spiral-cut gears but did not include any shims (a representative from Axial sent this information to me via email)

If you had spiral-cut gears and wanted to perform the 3-bearing pinion mod, then you'll need some shims

I don't think shims are necessary if you're going to perform the BHB pinion mod (for spiral-cut pinion)

There are a few errors in the assembly manual - I believe my build thread indicates some of them

I found the info I needed in your build thread.
Awesome!
Thanks

Lucky! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I just get lucky? Diskfunktional Axial Wraith 19 06-01-2013 12:45 PM
We should all get this lucky poomwah Paint and Body 3 03-04-2013 02:09 PM
i am lucky muddeprived Chit Chat 7 09-21-2007 04:49 PM
not so lucky/lucky skydiver Kranberry Chit Chat 2 02-01-2007 09:19 PM