Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: What Did You Do to Your Yeti XL Today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 11:54 PM   #81
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: What Did You Do to Your Yeti XL Today?

That is sweet. I didn't even know they had this version or I would of got it. Great idea.
mtr1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

I took my YXL out of storage so I could finish building it as soon as I'm finished grading all those final exams

Woo hoo!
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:11 PM   #83
RCC Addict

Well I WAS going to run the XL tomorrow. Had it on the desk in order to test run it to make sure all was good, plugged in my batteries, POP BANG FIZZZZ. Stock Vanguard ESC went completely up in smoke. The only thing I can see that I did wrong was that for a moment, I accidentally had it plugged into the receiver along with the BEC at the same time, but wouldn't that just overload the receiver instead? Not too upset, that makes the first ESC to ever go out on me like that, but I had to abandon the work zone while I let the smoke out...I'm just glad the pop sound wasn't from the LiPo, lol...
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

That potential accident would mean your BEC is wired wrong. Unless you just finished doing some rewiring, I'm guessing it was just your ESC's time to go.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #85
RCC Addict

Nothing changed since I ran it a month/half ago, only thing I can see that I did is that I didn't plug my lights back in and accidentally had the BEC and ESC both plugged into the receiver at the same time, without having the positive wire from the ESC removed. I should mention the ESC did arm itself and it blew up the moment I touch the throttle, so I think my blunder was the cause of that.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:02 AM   #86
Rock Stacker

Down for over a month now, but haven't given it much time either. Waiting on the final part to finish my alu transmission. Got my hands on the anodized aluminum body panels, finishing it up as we speak. Got a TBR bumper in order, and have a set of Trenchers to be mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SvdV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #87
Pebble Pounder

Drove it after a 5 day hiatus.

Added 1M weight oil to the rear diff.

Works great.

Bought new CI foam for tires and need to get new wheels.

Bought new Al rear upper and lower links

Need to buy new steering assembly, too much slop....

Started swapping all bearings to fast eddies and regreasing all the gears.

still need to install my Spektrum RX for my new transmitter :/
Adidas4275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Got the Hobbywing Max8 in, gonna use that to eliminate the BEC as well. I realized only a bit later that the Mamba Monster X was sensored/adjustable BEC/data logging for only around $20 more, but oh well, don't see myself going sensored anytime in the XL yet anyways.

But of course, another thing had to present itself. Pulled the spur gear off only to witness the terrible scene of the thing wobbling like mad when I pulled the trigger, so now I have to wait on the RRP Gen3 slipper to come in.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Got the Hobbywing Max8 in, gonna use that to eliminate the BEC as well. I realized only a bit later that the Mamba Monster X was sensored/adjustable BEC/data logging for only around $20 more, but oh well, don't see myself going sensored anytime in the XL yet anyways.

But of course, another thing had to present itself. Pulled the spur gear off only to witness the terrible scene of the thing wobbling like mad when I pulled the trigger, so now I have to wait on the RRP Gen3 slipper to come in.
I fried my Vanguard ESC trying to hook up a C. C. BEC, are you saying an external BEC is not needed with a Hobbywing Max 8 ? I'm using a Hitec 7950 servo. Will the Max 8 work for me without the CC BEC ?
Cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:04 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
I fried my Vanguard ESC trying to hook up a C. C. BEC, are you saying an external BEC is not needed with a Hobbywing Max 8 ? I'm using a Hitec 7950 servo. Will the Max 8 work for me without the CC BEC ?
I don't want to say that it's not needed, but the main problem with the Sidewinder 8th was that the BEC is fixed for 5.5V, which is pretty sluggish for the 7950TH. The HW Max8 not quite as strong as the Castle 10A BEC, since it's only 6A @ 6/7.4V, but I'm not really binding the servo up much at all so I don't think it'll be an issue.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

DRANK IT !!
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...1&d=1494876820
Attached Images

Cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #92
Pebble Pounder

degluded my tires..... added CI DW foam RC4WD Dick Cepek wheels

[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/UN2xHw][/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled [/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled [/IMG]

Last edited by Adidas4275; 05-16-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Adidas4275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:51 PM   #93
Pebble Pounder

Taking a crack at making my own aluminum body panels out of .040 sheets. Not as bad as I thought using a jig saw with 30 teeth per inch saw blades.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #94
RCC Addict

It's finally alive again looking more like a wasteland buggy with the Barndog panels now...also is it just me or is the RR Gen3 slipper/spur quite a bit higher pitched than the normal slipper?

Old 05-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #95
Pebble Pounder

Did you get Robinson Racing part #1564, 64T? I was thinking of getting it too. It supposed to be the same pitch as stock, 32P. What motor pinion gear did you pair it with?
Old 05-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #96
RCC Addict

Yes, same part. I have it with the stock 15T pinion right now, otherwise a 14T will get you back to stock gearing. When I say higher pitched, I mean the slipper or gear mesh has a higher pitched squeal to it now than before with the stock setup.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #97
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=Sneetches;5712805]Yes, same part. I have it with the stock 15T pinion right now, otherwise a 14T will get you back to stock gearing. When I say higher pitched, I mean the slipper or gear mesh has a higher pitched squeal to it now than before with the stock setup.[/QUOTE
Wish ya luck with it. I tried it a year ago and took forever for the disk to break in then it broke twice.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #98
Pebble Pounder

This happened today...

Ive run her hard lately and she finally gave. This happen to anyone else? I better keep extra spares on hand.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #99
RCC Addict

Ran the XL on a hardpacked track yesterday. Funny enough it actually did pretty dang well, the MX38s let it slide a bit and it didn't have the traction in a lot of cases to traction roll, but still has some forward bite to take back off again. Couldn't really roll it unless the rig got really sideways or you tried to get on the throttle too early in a turn. Torque twist is pretty tamed with the stiffest Axial sway bar and I think that's also what helped a lot in the turns.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:10 AM   #100

I bought a used RTR a couple of months ago, just to see if I liked it. And I do like it. Took everything apart, cleaned, replaced and painted. This is the result. My buddy has it now, while I'm build a brand new kit wich is currently waiting for some HR extras like a 2-speed and rear drive shaft. And ofcourse front swaybar. I'm going for a more crawler profile on the new one and plan the new sensored CC combo.

Jiver is offline   Reply With Quote

What Did You Do to Your Yeti XL Today? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What did you do to/with your Yeti today? DTB1 Axial Yeti 348 11-30-2019 12:23 AM
Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far... rm25x Axial Yeti 309 02-10-2016 10:30 PM
just picked up a used Yeti XL today Megadesertdiesel Axial Yeti XL 14 05-21-2015 12:07 AM
Yeti captured today im gunna crawl Axial Yeti 4 08-28-2014 08:58 PM
I drove a Yeti today. Dirt51 Axial Yeti 1 07-12-2014 08:15 PM