Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: OHOs Axial Yeti XL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default OHOs Axial Yeti XL

I bought this as a used roller, very lightly used I might add.
I have added a Leopard 2000kv motor, HobbyWing QuicRun 150a, and an Ace DS 1015 servo (for now)
Had a good play with it and I'm really happy with how it's performed so far!
I will rebuild the shocks at some point, I want them to be a bit more bouncy.
I'd also really like a new clear body shell, but I can't find one that isn't an extortionate price, at least for a few flimsy pieces of lexan, so that'll have to wait/not happen.
Anyway, I will let the pictures below do the talking, I do have some footage to come as well... Enjoy

Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2017, 06:13 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: OHOs Axial Yeti XL

Axial Yeti vs Axial Yeti XL, quarry bashing!
I'd really like some feedback on this video if possible what you thought of the content, the editing and the music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zLk...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Great video ! It helped me remember that it's a scale rig.. for when I'm filming..Not all about retarded overwhelming Power. Great job
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I didn't mind the music, it's better than nothing.
Picture is perfect.
Making rc vids is really hard, to make a good one that is.
Most of the time your by yourself so you have to set your camera up on a tripod, which doesn't give you many options on what action you want to shoot. I have done a fe rc vids, your welcome to check it out, I wouldn't mind the feedback as well.
https://youtu.be/pirHBjPi2Q0

A camera man would make it a lot better so they could follow the car more close up. As you know when you get more than 15mtrs away the car looks really small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VNEMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I'm gonna make the move to 4k because you can crop and zoom in to the frame and also do crystal clear slow motion during editing..... Great another friggen hobby lol
Old 02-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
Axial Yeti vs Axial Yeti XL, quarry bashing!
I'd really like some feedback on this video if possible what you thought of the content, the editing and the music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zLk...ature=youtu.be
Ok I'll give my opinion, I like the video you even got a sub out of me, my tip is the lenght of the vid, I usually cut my vids off around the 5 -6 min mark max, with the exception that if I do not have enuff vid to make a second vid then I may include a little more footage, if its hitting the 8 min mark, I will make 2 vids, most my vids are between 3-6 min most people don't have the attention span or time to watch an almost ten min vid, so what I do is make 2 vids release one, then the following weekend release the second vid.

Sound... I ususally like my sound more in the back ground I like to hear the motor revving on the car, some music can be irritating to some and enjoyable to others, to try and please both keep music more as a back ground effect, unless you really want to put time into your editing you can raise and lower volume according to what the vehicle is doing to match sound effect of music.

your editing lookd good, I am a big slo-mo fan, I really like the shots of the vehicle driving towards the camera and away from camera watching the suspension doing its thing as the vehicle encounters each bump or obstacle, some times I get a little heavy on the slo-mo in my vids as it is easy to get carried away with it.

I film with 2 or 3 cameras, Im a big fan of leaving a camera sitting on the ground, but you got to play to that camera and understand some of the best looking action is going to be up close, except for where in your vid you drove the vehicle towards the camera, those were actually good scenes, always try not to film facing the sun if you can keep cam pointing away from sun even on cloudy overcast days.... video will always look better on bright sunny days, but for being a cloudy overcast day your vid came out pretty well.

Ive been doing youtube rc vids for a few years just cant afford a nice comp as their is alwasy the next coolest rc to purchase, so I just use windows live editor, and gopro cams

Love the color of your YXL really pops on video.... hope this helps

Last edited by jump_it; 02-22-2017 at 02:42 PM.
jump_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
I'm gonna make the move to 4k because you can crop and zoom in to the frame and also do crystal clear slow motion during editing..... Great another friggen hobby lol

I have seriously considered going 4K, but I don't have a 4K tv yet and a lot of other people don't have one either, and I'm pretty sure you can only watch it on a 4K tv. If you don't have one you can't watch it.
And I'm pretty sure you can't watch 4K YouTube vids on your iPhone
I mate sent me a vid of my car cruising shot with a 4K camera, the picture is amazing, the file was so huge and it's only 40sec long.
Check my YouTube, I have two versions.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I guess this is going on a tangent, but we got a 4K OLED over the holiday. Holy crap is it great. Not a lot of 4K content yet, but the stuff that is 4K is pretty unbelievable.
Pete9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNEMSS View Post
I have seriously considered going 4K, but I don't have a 4K tv yet and a lot of other people don't have one either, and I'm pretty sure you can only watch it on a 4K tv. If you don't have one you can't watch it.
And I'm pretty sure you can't watch 4K YouTube vids on your iPhone
I mate sent me a vid of my car cruising shot with a 4K camera, the picture is amazing, the file was so huge and it's only 40sec long.
Check my YouTube, I have two versions.

First off I don't claim to know anything about 4k lol but my buddy was saying the highlight of 4k was the ability to edit videos. He was explaining if you took a video from 400 feet away during editing you're able to crop and zoom in and capture the vehicle perfectly as well as crystal clear slow motion. Basically the high-definition was just a perk
Old 02-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
First off I don't claim to know anything about 4k lol but my buddy was saying the highlight of 4k was the ability to edit videos. He was explaining if you took a video from 400 feet away during editing you're able to crop and zoom in and capture the vehicle perfectly as well as crystal clear slow motion. Basically the high-definition was just a perk

Fair enough, and neither do I, mainly just pointing out there are drawbacks as it's new and the average punter doesn't have 4K.
The editing capabilities sound unreal and I will probably get a 4K camera tv soon.
Il upload the 4K version of that vid later.
I may need to update my computer as well.

https://youtu.be/votO47Guwlg

Last edited by VNEMSS; 02-22-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Thanks so much for the feedback guys, that's extremely helpful... On a note of the length of the video, I realise it was a little bit long, I do like to watch videos that are a max of around 6-7 minutes, or it gets a bit repetitive, but I didn't feel I had enough 'good' content to warrant making a second video, because it was have been pretty similar, so I decided to just make it a little longer, also thank you for the sub!
It is very helpful to hear other peoples opinions, I generally tend to just film with my Nikon DSLR now, but the AF (although very good for the price point of the camera) isn't brilliant at tracking fast subjects, so I often try to get as in the middle as I can, which has resulted in me taking out my tripod many times lol.
It's really great to get some proper feedback though, I always make the kinds of videos I myself like to watch, so it's nice to hear another few thoughts which I can take forward in my video filming/editing experience

We took the Yetis out today, I really don't know if I'm liking this XL or not.
Well, that's not strictly true, I do like it, I just don't really know if I'm enjoying it.
Kinda on the fence at the moment, it's a really nice buggy/truck, don't get me wrong, but I miss my 1/10 and just want to play with that whenever I'm using this.
Kinda weird, but hey ho, we'll see how things pan out... At the worst, I may look to sell/trade it for something else.
Here's some pictures from today anyway, hope you enjoy!

A nice hard landing!

Ooops!

My Dad almost took me out a couple of times with his Yeti...

So I thought I'd return the favour and very nearly wiped him out!

We then decided, after all that fun and mud, they needed washing... The most fun way we know how!

And because there's no hair driers out here, I*decided to 'air' dry mine*

And finally, it got a little bit too deep for the little Yeti... At one point it was up to the cockpit of the XL, but it kept going!

Old 02-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Haha some cool action shots there.
I also have a Nikon slr but as you said the af doesn't seem to track that well so I mainly use my iPhone.
It's easy to edit.

Here Is my latest rc video.
https://youtu.be/yYGsO-ffx-o

Old 03-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

It does okay, just when you're moving really fast, it can lose focus for a second or so.
Especially visible in slow-mo.
I may invest in a better body, but for the moment it's fine.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:48 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Broke it today, out with all the nephews and nieces, had a bit of an audience, decided to ramp it up the tree... 8/9ft ish (everyone was looking up anyway!) jump, right on the front end, killed my driver and a front shock cap!
I don't think the kit comes with small shock caps, so I'll have to try and find a part number, unless someone knows of an alloy replacement?
Thankfully, the tower survived and everything else seems to be okay, although I've not inspected it all yet.
Oh well, much fun was had, the kids absolutely loved the Holiday Buggy and 1/10 Yeti, damn fine day all round.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I have Dhawk alloy shock caps on the way. Should get them tomorrow. I'll let you know how they are.
Pete9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Dhawk aluminum caps for the win.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

DHAWK shock caps are great. I use Team Associated bladders #89351 in the caps instead of the O-rings.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:18 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Ahhh thank you Axial.
They provide two different types of shock caps in the kits, both front shocks rebuilt, with HPI Baja helper springs added, for a tiny bit more bounce.
Also ordered some shock socks to neaten it up a bit, should help prefer wear too on the shafts.

Thanks for the advice on the Dhawk ones, has anyone got an eBay listing?
I struggle to find stuff as I search on the UK eBay site and often things aren't found.
I've got some bladders ordered too, cheers for that
Old 03-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

What are these helper springs you speak of? Got any links?
TOMS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS97ZJ View Post
What are these helper springs you speak of? Got any links?
They're the small springs from the rear of a Baja 5B, 5T 5SC, I'm sure others may fit too.
I don't know if you can get them separately or not, so no link I'm afraid.
We've been into large scales RCs for years so I've got loads of spares and put them on.
The only ones I found are as a complete set, but that's in the UK.
HPI part number #86762
Hope that helps

OHOs Axial Yeti XL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OHOs Axial Yeti RTR Oh How Original Axial Yeti 84 05-25-2020 05:37 AM
Life of one YETI - Tom Frajer's Axial Yeti build log TomFrajer Axial Yeti 320 05-22-2017 09:01 PM
OHOs RC4WD Gelande II D110 (finally) Oh How Original 1.9 Scale Rigs 41 12-09-2016 01:06 PM
OHOs first dip into the water (Thunder Tiger Avanti) Oh How Original Non Crawler RC's 6 10-22-2016 03:40 PM
OHOs CrossRC MC8 Oh How Original Multi Axle Rigs 2 09-12-2016 12:52 PM