Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Yeti XL in Beast Mode

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Yeti XL in Beast Mode

I had bought this Yeti XL around a year ago, and after breaking a few parts set it aside. I began tinkering with ideas on making it different than anyone else's.

After scanning YouTube for a bit, I ran across a video of a guy doing a custom build that really caught my eye. This guys name is Chris de Graaf. Perhaps you know him better as Hemistormrc. As I waited for the next in series of his project Axial Yeti XXL, I began watching all of his videos.

https://youtu.be/k6IQHXVfE7A

The thing that I liked the most about them is his real interest in teaching people techniques that they can use to up their game. As I watched more of his well produced videos, I became confident that I could do the same thing with mine.

I don't know if YouTube keeps track of IP's for view count numbers, but I must have watched that first video at least ten times before I got the courage to saw/Dremel my chassis in half.

I began by making a BOM for what I knew would be needed, such as extra cage, chassis, shocks etc. As Chris points out in his video, you really need to start with extending the cage. Making that the first step allows you to determine the length of your chassis.

After receiving my first batch of parts for the cage and body panels, I began disassembling the cage. I referred to my notes on what I had seen Chris do, and began hacking away at my cages. Having years of experience in construction and fine woodworking, I know how important the old saying is to "measure twice, cut once". Well, I took it a step further than that. I measured twice, and watched the video again, pausing to make sure that I wasn't about to destroy a $60 cage.

And thought I was joking about the watching video part!

As Chris mentioned in his video, that rear spoiler/light bar was the most miserable part of chopping the cage.

After some blood, sweat and cheers, I was off like a herd of turtles on my cage. Over the next couple of days, and a lot more cutting and sanding, I came up with something that looked very similar to the XXL.

Pretty soon I got into a rhythm, and synced with Chris's video uploads. Next up...

Code:
THE CHASSIS! 

Although I got a smokin deal on these tubs on eBay from JPRC, I was sweating bullets because I got the last two listed, and didn't want to lose either because I have another build in mind.

While waiting for more parts to show up, I moved on to wrapping the body panel hack. I decided to use the old panels until I have settled on a paint scheme.

Soon the parts were flowing in, and I was making some real progress. It was time to join the two halves together. Chris being the kind of guy that he is, posted up his design. I chose, at least for now, to do it differently. Not because I don't like his design, no it is because my CNC is currently waiting for me to open up some space in the shop, and secondly, because I'm not 100% certain that our overall dimensions are the same.

I now have the final touches left before I can take it out for a bashing session, which I will record of course. I'm waiting on some gears and still need to clean up the wiring. Once those are done, I'll put some more pics up of the final product.

In closing, I want thank Chris for all he does for the modelers, for inspiring me to take a chance and challenging myself. I'm proud to call you my friend buddy!

Proost Buddy!
LeePin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Yeti XL in Beast Mode

Same story here bud ! Chris is the only reason I started building! You build came out stellar!! Being a woodsmith I can complete relate to how fun these projects can be. Looking forward to seeing your next build. Btw 4ws would be awesome for your rig! Let me know if you ever want to try some aluminum conversion knuckles. Mine should be finished this weekend.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks bud!

I just watched your video on YouTube yesterday. I think this is the perfect candidate for 4WS. Are you going to sell some form of kit? I'd love to throw one on this beast!

I've been following you on Instagram for a while now. Great looking builds.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #4

sweet dude .....would love yxxl but no space here to do suimn like that.....
evssv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePin View Post
Thanks bud!

I just watched your video on YouTube yesterday. I think this is the perfect candidate for 4WS. Are you going to sell some form of kit? I'd love to throw one on this beast!

I've been following you on Instagram for a while now. Great looking builds.
Yes I most likely will but they will be made by order. On my second version I have utilized this Center cvd as axle shafts making for an easy replacement part. Plus they've proven their durability in my stock XL and my other machines. I noticed your logo on your rig thanks for the support I'll let you know a Approximate cost soon. 4ws is very controllable and has been a friggin blast!
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Looks awesome! I am impressed with how you are able to keep the RTR look with adding something new.

How does the long wheelbase crawl?
Adidas4275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
Looks awesome! I am impressed with how you are able to keep the RTR look with adding something new.

How does the long wheelbase crawl?

I'll let you know when I get it out on the rocks. I got stalled waiting for some parts, so I started another project. You know that goes, idle hands and all.

Yeti XL in Beast Mode - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beast Mode, V2.0 turbodan13 2.2 Scale Rigs 47 02-09-2015 06:16 PM
"Beast Mode" sally1800 2.2 Scale Rigs 113 06-22-2014 09:35 AM
dx6i Mode 1 vs mode 2.... syber70 Electronics 1 03-12-2009 12:41 PM