Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Finished!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #21

Default Re: Finished!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
Thanks for the info, I decided to get the Hitec HS-7950TH HV Ultra-Torque Titanium Corless Servo.
I am using the stock Vanguard AE-4 ESC, I'm totally green when it comes to electronics, am I going to have issues to deal with? Is a BEC a "must have "?
Another dumb newbie question.... what do the numbers 1.9 and 2.2 refer to?

If you go to the specs page on your servo on the hi-tec website, you'll see that its operating voltage is 6.0-7.4V with a stall current draw of 9,000mA. Your stock vanguard ESC's BEC can only send 5V. You can try it, but I'll just about guarantee you're going to experience stuttering and/or brownouts because it's going to draw more power than your stock ESC's BEC can send. You're probably going to need an external BEC, such as the castle creations BEC I suggested in my previous comment. Even if you miraculously don't experience these issues, at 5.0V you're never going to get full performance of your servo.
CptSummersausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I really appreciate the help!
The servo will be here today or tomorrow, I'm ordering the link and BEC right now. There are several Holmes Hobbies RX bypass to choose from. Which one do I need?
Cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #23

Quote:
I really appreciate the help!
The servo will be here today or tomorrow, I'm ordering the link and BEC right now. There are several Holmes Hobbies RX bypass to choose from. Which one do I need?

You're welcome! This is the one I used:

RX BYPASS ADAPTER
$6.00
Product SKU: 250100008

From Holmes Hobbies site, directly.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:12 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

WaterproofingNo Waterproofing Voltage5.1V (default) Solder Leads To ESC Battery Plug (ESC purchase required)Yes

Is this the proper way to order it? I don't need waterproofing.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #25

Quote:
WaterproofingNo Waterproofing Voltage5.1V (default) Solder Leads To ESC Battery Plug (ESC purchase required)Yes

Is this the proper way to order it? I don't need waterproofing.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking. If you're asking how to install it, watch the video that I linked a few replies ago.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

I apologize for the confusion and not being clear.
On The Holmes Hobby website when ordering a Castle Creations BEC there are four required fields that need to be selected.
1. Waterproofing - yes/no ?
2. Voltage - 5.1 is default, there are other choices
3. Solder leads to ESC battery plug (ESC required) yes/No?
4. BEC Integration Location ( BR Mini RTR, dual ESC purchase required)

I'm choosing no waterproofing,
default voltage, do I want yes on solder leads? I'm not sure what number 4 is asking.
Again, thanks for taking the time to help me through this

Last edited by Cheez; 04-24-2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

If your using the BEC to power your servo, definitely get the 7.4V. That gives you the full potential of your servo. As for the solder leads, not unless your buying an ESC from them.
mtr1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #28

Quote:
I apologize for the confusion and not being clear.
On The Holmes Hobby website when ordering a Castle Creations BEC there are four required fields that need to be selected.
1. Waterproofing - yes/no ?
2. Voltage - 5.1 is default, there are other choices
3. Solder leads to ESC battery plug (ESC required) yes/No?
4. BEC Integration Location ( BR Mini RTR, dual ESC purchase required)

I'm choosing no waterproofing,
default voltage, do I want yes on solder leads? I'm not sure what number 4 is asking.
Again, thanks for taking the time to help me through this

Gotcha, and no problem. Here is what you want:
CASTLE CREATIONS BEC 10A
$21.99
Product SKU: 240200001
Waterproofing - I said no, I don't run in water
The volt question is just so that you wouldn't need a castle link, it would come pre-programmed to your preferred voltage output (hence the upcharge). So that's your call. If you're getting a link, you can just program it yourself to whatever your servo performs best for your driving preferences. If I remember right, your servo goes 6-7.4V, so there's your starting point.
Answer No to question 3, and leave 4 blank.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Pulled the trigger on CC BEC 10 A , RX bypass adapter, CC Field link portable program card, HiTec HHP-21 plus digital servo programmer.
I'm hoping the manuals aren't in Chinglish

Last edited by Cheez; 04-24-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-24-2017, 09:08 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Pulled the trigger on CC BEC 10 A , RX bypass adapter, CC Field link portable program card, HiTec HHP-21 plus digital servo programmer.
I'm hoping the manuals aren't in Chinglish
You will need some basic soldering skills to attach the BEC to the battery

And I put my BEC in a waterproof housing. But I love to bash in mud and water
Adidas4275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Does this look ok? My understanding is that I need to disconnect the red wire from the ESC and solder the positive and negative from the BEC to the respective battery connection.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...1&d=1493330320
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2017, 05:15 PM   #32

You are using a RX bypass from Holmes Hobbies, so no, you do not need to disconnect that tiny red wire from your ESC plug. That bypass does it all for you. You have it set up correctly. Now you need to solder in your positive and negative wires of your BEC into your ESC positive and negative. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSummersausage View Post
You are using a RX bypass from Holmes Hobbies, so no, you do not need to disconnect that tiny red wire from your ESC plug. That bypass does it all for you. You have it set up correctly. Now you need to solder in your positive and negative wires of your BEC into your ESC positive and negative. Good luck!
100% agree. As stated, For the BEC power go before the parallel split and from the ESC POS/neg.

on a side note. With the stupid ESC on top of the RX box You will kick yourself for not getting a Castle quick link. The $12 it costs is far cheaper than new cage sides when you kick the MFer.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:13 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
100% agree. As stated, For the BEC power go before the parallel split and from the ESC POS/neg.

on a side note. With the stupid ESC on top of the RX box You will kick yourself for not getting a Castle quick link. The $12 it costs is far cheaper than new cage sides when you kick the MFer.
Already have the castle link sitting on the bench
Old 04-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSummersausage View Post
I want to be 100% sure, when using HH rx bypass adapter there is no need to cut the red wire from ESC ?
After watching so many yt BEC install videos it seems like they all said "cut the red wire"
Almost did

Lol! Never mind.
Went to HH website and got this description....
New and improved with thicker 22ga wire and lower resistance for more power! This adapter allows the use of an external BEC for servo power without needing to disable your ESC's internal BEC.

Servo connects to +/-/signal plug and BEC connects to +/- plug. Signal/- connector plugs into the servo RX channel. The servo gets signal from the RX and shares a dual ground path to both RX and external BEC to prevent floating ground issues. A must-have for any crawler running over 300 ounce/inch servos!

Last edited by Cheez; 04-27-2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Add
Old 04-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post

I completely agree. That quick connect would've been super handy....However, I had no idea such a thing existed before I put everything back together. I have the Castle Creations Link, but what a pain to have to completely disassemble in order to get at my ESC plug to play around with the settings. Whoops. I've been programming the manual way, listening to and counting beeps. Pain in the ass, but less so than tearing apart everything to get into that receiver box.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

I'm a total rookie when it comes to soldering and adding a BEC. I've removed the shrink wrap from the deans connector and am going to try to connect the BEC directly to it ( meshing ESC and BEC wires together). Is this a good method?
Also I want to be absolutely sure...... I'm using a RX bypass so no cutting red wire from the ESC necessary?
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...1&d=1494206251
Attached Images

Last edited by Cheez; 05-07-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Looks good, I dont usually cut the red wire on the esc, I remove it from the connector and put some shrink tube over it. That way you can reconnect it later if your doing stuff like programing the esc.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Yep that will work, I would move them an inch or so away, then strip and wrap and solder, it gets bulky with heat shrink if your wires are fat on Deans
As long as the rx bypass is used, your stock red wire powers receiver and fan , your bec feeds servo, and winch or lights

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, good advice
So no cutting little red wire from ESC ?

Finished! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ever Done This? (finished!) monkeyracing Tamiya XC/CC01 4 05-07-2014 10:17 PM
just finished w.k fast625 HPI Wheely King 0 08-17-2008 10:06 PM
Finished CLODMAN360 Tamiya Clod Buster 1 05-29-2006 11:59 AM
almost finished yamaharider308a General Crawlers 2 04-16-2006 09:18 PM
TLT finished! Half aluminum tube High gc Low cg FINISHED RCMFMaxxMan Tamiya TLT Crawlers 12 08-08-2005 12:18 AM