Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: BHB mod and front bulkhead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default BHB mod and front bulkhead

Will the stock plastic bulkhead hold up if I put my modded gears and ceramic bearings in? I want the aluminum dhawk part, but the funds are short right now. I don't want to throw away my expensive gears and bearings if the bulkhead flexes and causes bearings to fail thus killing my new gearset.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: BHB mod and front bulkhead

The aluminum bulkhead is always going to better than the stock plastic in my opinion. But from what I understand, everybody was tearing up gears and bulkheads because of the new HD gears. After you did the BHB mod, the failures diminished.
mtr1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr1514 View Post
The aluminum bulkhead is always going to better than the stock plastic in my opinion. But from what I understand, everybody was tearing up gears and bulkheads because of the new HD gears. After you did the BHB mod, the failures diminished.
I did the BHB basher bar mod plus ran some extra bracing from the basher bar up to the shock tower ( using the plastic shock tower ) I did then install a GPM alloy shock tower but still using the basher bar so far have no problems and still using the standard plastic bulk head
Axial6768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thx guys. That puts 65 back in my pocket

Old 04-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I did a torture test for 4+ months last summer on a plastic bulkhead with modded gear set. I used it as a tow rig, crawler and pit Basher and it never failed !! The same can be said for the rear axle if you install a pinion shield. If you use quality bearings and have a pinion that's been correctly modified and installed you will be good to go !
Oho and the Basher Bar is the shit ! I crashed the XLX so hard it folded up my billet shocktower support and sheered of the screws into the basher bar ! Showing obvious reinforcement. The stock shock tower is worth keeping as well... When I install the shock I use a 30 millimeter M3 so it can capture the shock through the tower in into the tower support brace.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
I did a torture test for 4+ months last summer on a plastic bulkhead with modded gear set. I used it as a tow rig, crawler and pit Basher and it never failed !! The same can be said for the rear axle if you install a pinion shield. If you use quality bearings and have a pinion that's been correctly modified and installed you will be good to go !
Oho and the Basher Bar is the shit ! I crashed the XLX so hard it folded up my billet shocktower support and sheered of the screws into the basher bar ! Showing obvious reinforcement. The stock shock tower is worth keeping as well... When I install the shock I use a 30 millimeter M3 so it can capture the shock through the tower in into the tower support brace.
Is thus the stock support brace or have you built a custom one?

Old 04-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Still using stock front bulkhead with BHB mod. Have had a DHAWK bulkhead in my crash box for over a year and have not needed it. It is a V1 so that should give you some idea how long I have had it sitting.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
Still using stock front bulkhead with BHB mod. Have had a DHAWK bulkhead in my crash box for over a year and have not needed it. It is a V1 so that should give you some idea how long I have had it sitting.
Thanks guys.

BHB mod and front bulkhead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BHB MOD, I had to try it mtr1514 Axial Yeti XL 20 06-05-2017 12:36 PM
BHB Mod - Did it - Did I do it right? pdxrealtor Axial Yeti XL 27 05-07-2017 10:29 PM
BHB Wax Diff Mod BarHarborBasher Axial Yeti XL 10 05-01-2017 07:45 PM
BHB Transmissionmod/RR slipper mod/ center diffmod BarHarborBasher Axial Yeti XL 13 12-13-2016 12:09 PM
BHB Vanquish solid front axle Mod BarHarborBasher Axial Yeti XL 8 04-27-2016 11:35 PM