Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Yeti XL 8S upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Yeti XL 8S upgrade

In the spirit of pushing it to the limit, I decided to go for 8S on this rig. I'm having a blast on 6S and it seems she could handle more, so why not.

This is the motor I decided to go with. The Poseidon 1527-C15, 1500KV. It has the same diameter of the stock motor just longer which means more torque and cooler temps, hopefully, and it's rated for 8S.

Since it has the same diameter I could use the same motor mount but I had to sacrifice my rear sway bar at the moment. Still going to try to use it but have to relocate the crossbar. For ESC I went with the Castle Mamba XL X. I mounted it on a plate and mounted that on the tower cross brace.

This is the motor mounted in the motor plate. I upgraded to the HR aluminum motor plate and heat sink. Also I went with the RR 64T spur gear slipper clutch.

Still in the process of dialing it in. To start of with I'm using a RR 19T pinion. The motor has a lower rpm so I have to gear up. I have to find the balance between speed and moderate motor/ESC temps. Also there might be a slight break in period for that RR slipper clutch. Im gonna work on getting a top speed of maybe about 45-50mph before moving it on up to 8S. But right now she lives.

mtr1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Yeti XL 8S upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr1514 View Post
In the spirit of pushing it to the limit, I decided to go for 8S on this rig. I'm having a blast on 6S and it seems she could handle more, so why not.

This is the motor I decided to go with. The Poseidon 1527-C15, 1500KV. It has the same diameter of the stock motor just longer which means more torque and cooler temps, hopefully, and it's rated for 8S.

Since it has the same diameter I could use the same motor mount but I had to sacrifice my rear sway bar at the moment. Still going to try to use it but have to relocate the crossbar. For ESC I went with the Castle Mamba XL X. I mounted it on a plate and mounted that on the tower cross brace.

This is the motor mounted in the motor plate. I upgraded to the HR aluminum motor plate and heat sink. Also I went with the RR 64T spur gear slipper clutch.

Still in the process of dialing it in. To start of with I'm using a RR 19T pinion. The motor has a lower rpm so I have to gear up. I have to find the balance between speed and moderate motor/ESC temps. Also there might be a slight break in period for that RR slipper clutch. Im gonna work on getting a top speed of maybe about 45-50mph before moving it on up to 8S. But right now she lives.

GREAT WORK!!!!!! That car is a beast!!!!! Impressive work bro keep up the good work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeo-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Good stuff Bud
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo-15 View Post
GREAT WORK!!!!!! That car is a beast!!!!! Impressive work bro keep up the good work

What set of of upper and lower turn buckles did you go with?

Old 06-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo-15 View Post
What set of of upper and lower turn buckles did you go with?

Ive always used GPM aluminum tie rods.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:22 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Ive always used GPM aluminum tie rods.

Are those links all the same size?

Old 06-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

They come already sized to the factory specs but they are adjustable. They have plenty of room to adjust your toe and camber.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:45 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
They come already sized to the factory specs but they are adjustable. They have plenty of room to adjust your toe and camber.

Would you prefer these or the steel pairs that come with the kit?

Old 06-10-2017, 12:02 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Though my Yeti Xl is an RTR, I am familiar with the Yeti 1/10 scale kit turnbuckles. I found with those that there was little room to adjust them out. These have more of a band to adjust. Overall they both work but I prefer the GPM for this reason.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:04 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I'll be going gpm then! Thanks a million for the help I truly appreciate it

Old 06-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

So they have arrived. I decided to go with SMC 4S batteries 6700mah.

Ive been breaking in the new setup and everything is running great. I have a new Robinson Racing slipper clutch with 64T spur gear that I was babying but it broke in nicely. With a 19T pinion gear, everything is running cool but I'm picking up a temperature gun today to record actual temperatures. Also the new gearing already has the rig going a lot faster than before so I hope to get a speed test done as well and I will post results.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:49 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

So far so good. I started with a 19T pinion gear and went up to a 20T pinion gear but I believe I'm still under geared. I only hit a top speed of 35mph so I ordered and am waiting on a 21T and 22T pinion gears. Could be I need a longer stretch a road though to reach full speed. Also I ran it in >90 degree outside temperature and the motor barely hit 130 degrees after twenty minutes of full throttle speed runs. I also have a Yeah Racing heat sink with two 30x30mm fans that I got a while ago just for the summer. So I'm gonna add that as a precaution/buffer.

In the mean time I added some Arrma large battery trays to house my new 4S batteries. Pretty easy mod and they are mounted on solid. Not the best way I know because it's raising the center of gravity but I didn't see an alternative. I think it'll give way to some crazy bashing.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
So far so good. I started with a 19T pinion gear and went up to a 20T pinion gear but I believe I'm still under geared. I only hit a top speed of 35mph so I ordered and am waiting on a 21T and 22T pinion gears. Could be I need a longer stretch a road though to reach full speed. Also I ran it in >90 degree outside temperature and the motor barely hit 130 degrees after twenty minutes of full throttle speed runs. I also have a Yeah Racing heat sink with two 30x30mm fans that I got a while ago just for the summer. So I'm gonna add that as a precaution/buffer.

In the mean time I added some Arrma large battery trays to house my new 4S batteries. Pretty easy mod and they are mounted on solid. Not the best way I know because it's raising the center of gravity but I didn't see an alternative. I think it'll give way to some crazy bashing.

Amazing work!!!!

Yeti XL 8S upgrade - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade the Wraith or get a Yeti? photocycler Axial Wraith 33 03-01-2015 02:07 PM