Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Axial Yeti xl project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Axial Yeti xl project

Big shoutout to BarHarborBasher for my axial xl introduction....so I decided to get one and after a lot of research and help from a lot of good guys in the rc community, I got the idea to start my yeti project!

I went with hot racing everything for my aluminum hop ups!

And for my electronics I'm going with the 1:5 scale mamba xl2 combo....

Any suggestions on how to mount the motor and esc? I'm having a hard time fitting the combo and balancing the weight. Any suggestions on a custom plates or anything that allows me to custom mount the combo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeo-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Axial Yeti xl project

It's definitely a tight squeeze.... I've got one installed in my SMT5. On your build you would want to put the motor on the passenger side so it didn't interfere with your Servo. You can relocate your receiver in the storage box in the rear suspension cage. To help the wait out you could install a shorty battery underneath your ESC four separate power to your Servo. In my case I'm adding a 5000 milliamp 2s lipo in that area and it really offsets the weight pretty well... I would look into a rampage XL Center diff / custom motor mount and some mod 1 gearing for your 2028.. I was just using what I had so I utilized a gas powered 1/5 gear plate with nylon gears.. surprisingly enough it seems like it's going to work really well and I can buy the metal gear Replacements fairly cheap after testing.. in your case I would definitely op for a custom aluminum motor mount/center diff . Surprisingly the one I made for my Banshee XL has worked flawlessly.. a little patience some cardboard , Dremel and a drill press can make it happen. If you need more in-depth pictures or anything at all let me know man I appreciate the support brother.

BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
RCC Addict

It's definitely a tight squeeze.... I've got one installed in my SMT5. On your build you would want to put the motor on the passenger side so it didn't interfere with your Servo. You can relocate your receiver in the storage box in the rear suspension cage. To help the wait out you could install a shorty battery underneath your ESC four separate power to your Servo. In my case I'm adding a 5000 milliamp 2s lipo in that area and it really offsets the weight pretty well... I would look into a rampage XL Center diff / custom motor mount and some mod 1 gearing for your 2028.. I was just using what I had so I utilized a gas powered 1/5 gear plate with nylon gears.. surprisingly enough it seems like it's going to work really well and I can buy the metal gear Replacements fairly cheap after testing.. in your case I would definitely op for a custom aluminum motor mount/center diff . Surprisingly the one I made for my Banshee XL has worked flawlessly.. a little patience some cardboard , Dremel and a drill press can make it happen. If you need more in-depth pictures or anything at all let me know man I appreciate the support brother.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
RCC Addict

You could also combat the weight by using one 6s battery on the opposite side of the motor as well..
Thanks again for joining the community!
Old 06-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
You could also combat the weight by using one 6s battery on the opposite side of the motor as well..

No problem at all bro I appreciate all the help! My soldering skills suck so I have to run and get that done at my LHS....I was actually looking into making this my speed demon...I will search for a mount and I will definitely have to upgrade the gears....I'll definitely keep you guys posted with my progress! Again thanks a million for all the help

Old 06-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I know from first-hand experience that is a badass Road car with stiff shocks and sway bars just don't expect the tires to last long because they feather up pretty quick. When I get my lathe up and running I plan on making some unbreakable parts for myself and for a group of friends not for resale. Hopefully by that time you'll have your rig together to try them out.
The other day I pushed my 2200 on 8s in my castle data logs said that I turned over 116,000 RPMs LMAO �� I held off on the smt5 because I know the drivetrain won't handle big tires and big Power... But it has definitely proven itself to me with road tires with crazy power.. if that makes any sense lol
Old 06-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I know from first-hand experience that is a badass Road car with stiff shocks and sway bars just don't expect the tires to last long because they feather up pretty quick. When I get my lathe up and running I plan on making some unbreakable parts for myself and for a group of friends not for resale. Hopefully by that time you'll have your rig together to try them out.
The other day I pushed my 2200 on 8s in my castle data logs said that I turned over 116,000 RPMs LMAO í*½í± I held off on the smt5 because I know the drivetrain won't handle big tires and big Power... But it has definitely proven itself to me with road tires with crazy power.. if that makes any sense lol

Wait so what about your upgraded gears? Are those the hd gears I see everyone talking about? I know for damn sure the regular gears can't handle the 5th scale power...

Old 06-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Unfortunately for me I'm not skilled enough to make this combination fit ....the esc is easy but this motor is massive! I might go with the castle 1717 1650kv motor and play with the gearing but run on 8s. This 1:5 scale motor just won't fit for me

Old 06-14-2017, 06:57 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo-15 View Post
Unfortunately for me I'm not skilled enough to make this combination fit ....the esc is easy but this motor is massive! I might go with the castle 1717 1650kv motor and play with the gearing but run on 8s. This 1:5 scale motor just won't fit for me

I was thinking to make that work you would have to totally revamp the interior setup. You might need different length drive shafts and definitely get a custom made motor mount like one from Kershaw Designs. They make one for the Xmaxx that could probably be retrofitted into the YXL tub somehow. A lot of factors to think about but it would be an interesting challenge.
mtr1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Yea I think I'm going to save this motor for a losi Audi 1:5 scale.....I'm looking into the new xmaxx motor 1650kv...that just might work better for me because this current motor is massive

Old 06-14-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The other day I pushed my 2200 on 8s in my castle data logs said that I turned over 116,000 RPMs LMAO
Make sure you change the motor pole setting in the logs, that will show double rpm in the logs, if you haven't.

33.60v x 2200kv is 73,920 rpm. Plus a load, you won't hit that 73k rpm.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Make sure you change the motor pole setting in the logs, that will show double rpm in the logs, if you haven't.

33.60v x 2200kv is 73,920 rpm. Plus a load, you won't hit that 73k rpm.
Good call lol that explains those rediclous numbers honestly I didn't even second guess them judging by the excessive tire blowing power

Axial Yeti xl project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life of one YETI - Tom Frajer's Axial Yeti build log TomFrajer Axial Yeti 320 05-22-2017 09:01 PM
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
Yeti Located - Axial Yeti bashing eunique Scale Videos! 0 01-09-2015 02:10 AM