Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Possible Yeti xl owner.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2017, 06:19 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Possible Yeti xl owner.

Hi all.

I have been eyeing the Yeti xl for a while now.
My current marriage aggrement is I can only buy RCs if I sell something.. (it sounds harsh but it's a fair deal)

I currently own a Traxxas Slash 4x4 and 2wd.

I barely use the 2wd because the 4x4 is just amazing.

Now, I'm thinking if I keep my 2200kv castle combo from the 4x4 and sell both of them (4x4 and 2wd) I'll be close to being able to afford an xl kit.

All I do is bash at local BMX tracks and on the dunes..
Would I be losing out on getting the XL from my slash 4x4?

I used to own a twin hammers which I loved but it was going to cost too much in upgrades to make it better (I live in Australia) so I sold it for the 4x4.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Spunkybob; 06-20-2017 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Add
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Possible Yeti xl owner.

Now this is just me, but considering I also own all those trucks I think it really depends on what you want out of the Yeti XL. While both can be expensive, you need to factor in what electronics you'll need for the YXL, as well as dual battery packs, and hopefully your charger is pretty decent as well. Then of course if you decide to run 6S over 4S, you'll have to do quite a bit more tinkering and replace more parts/breaks.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If you are going to run in the Dunes then I would not choose the YXL. The IFS/SA will not be happy.

If you want to Dune then I'd look for more power and a Sand rail cage for the 2WD. Lots of chassis vendors here make them. I think Integy even does.

For the BMX Track, all day long for cheap money would be the Arrma Kraton.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The bearing in the rear axle will hate the dunes.

I love they YXL but it's hard to recommend. When it works it's RC bliss. I've had a string of bad luck with it lately though.

A buddy of mine has a Kraton. It's ugly as sin but he beats the hell out of it at a local pump track (BMX track with huge jumps). He was doing things that would make the YXL explode into pieces so small I would need an microscope to rebuild it. It was funny because I was doing some testing with the YXL and he was launching that Krayton all over the place. I kept yelling at the YXL "Look at what that can do! It hasn't blown a bearing. No broken bellcrank yet. It cost a fraction of what I have put into you!" Good times.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If you got the extra money for maintenance and upgrades, get the YXL. If not, look into a losi rock rey. Basically the same thing but smaller, has a center diff and doesnt break the bank like the YXL. The RR will need an aluminum servo horn out of the box for sure.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i love my yeti xl, its size and fun factor are awesome. I have a RTR with some upgrades. that said, the truggy class is pretty impressive from many vendors.

The YXL is a basher, can run on rocks, grass, dirt....everything.... but it does require a decent amount of maintenance and mine has been a servo eater
Adidas4275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Wow!

I was expecting to wake up and see everyone saying get the XL lol!

I am in a good position now because my 4x4 has the 2200kv castle which I would throw in the XL kit with my wp-sc8 ESC rated for 4s which is all I want to run and I'm about to refresh all my lipos because they are all around 3yo and starting to lose runtimes. I have 2 B4AC chargers so I'm good in that department.

I should have said I run maybe 1% of the time at the beach (salty sand = lots of new bearings), 39% at the BMX track (I dont launch it, I drive more scale) and 60% at the park next door on the grass/wood chips and a big dirt patch with small whoops and up the fire trails/walk way next to the creek.

What I like is the size and the looks of it.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Then yes, by all means get one! I got one and never looked back. In fact I keep thinking about getting another.
mtr1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

2 YXL's and 1&1/2 Yetis here
Cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I love my YXL. I have sunk some $$ into it, but most of that has been by choice, not because of the truck's failure. The bearing in the rear axle is a failure point, but there are some very cheap mods that protect it - I'm using a radial shaft seal that can be had for a couple of bucks on Amazon, for example. This is a fun, fun, truck.
Pete9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:46 AM   #11

I love my YXL, however it seems to need more maintenance per hour of play than I actually get to use it. I have ate up 2 servos. Currently on my third one and it's happy atm. If you get one. The upgrades required out of the box to make it worth while: aluminum bell crank, servo horn, front and rear sway bars (depending on what you are doing with it), drive shaft, front arms, tirods (upper and lower) might as well upgrade the steering linkage too. The factory one is a joke. Get a set of beadlocks. And least but not last A-arms. These are the upgrades I have done. I have the average 10-20 mins play time before something breaks and needs upgraded.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Oger1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oger1983 View Post
I love my YXL, however it seems to need more maintenance per hour of play than I actually get to use it. I have ate up 2 servos. Currently on my third one and it's happy atm. If you get one. The upgrades required out of the box to make it worth while: aluminum bell crank, servo horn, front and rear sway bars (depending on what you are doing with it), drive shaft, front arms, tirods (upper and lower) might as well upgrade the steering linkage too. The factory one is a joke. Get a set of beadlocks. And least but not last A-arms. These are the upgrades I have done. I have the average 10-20 mins play time before something breaks and needs upgraded.

Good Lord... WTH do you do with your RC?

Old 06-22-2017, 07:53 AM   #13

Lmao... the rtr version was a failure. The first 5 mins of the first run right outside of the store the servo gave out.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oger1983 View Post
Lmao... the rtr version was a failure. The first 5 mins of the first run right outside of the store the servo gave out.

Good thing I'd get the kit version then. Strait up get a good servo.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkybob View Post
Good Lord... WTH do you do with your RC?

Haha usually light bashing. Haven't really got much play time on it due to part failures.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
If you are going to run in the Dunes then I would not choose the YXL. The IFS/SA will not be happy.

For the BMX Track, all day long for cheap money would be the Arrma Kraton.
X2, for dunes, general bashing or BMX track/jumping an Arrma Kraton 6S BLX or similar would be good choice. I've seen guys running these out in the desert/dunes and said only week point was steering servo and plastic horn. They are 1/8 scale buggy based and therefore very rugged and handle pretty well.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I ended up putting 2.8 badlands with a Castle 2200kv and 1/8 shocks on my slash 4x4 and it's a beast.

Possible Yeti xl owner. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti XL new kit owner! omologatto Axial Yeti XL 6 02-02-2017 05:30 PM
New Yeti owner TKG26 Axial Yeti 28 04-30-2016 01:58 PM
soon to be new owner of the goliath yeti SwampDawg Axial Yeti XL 3 02-10-2015 08:20 PM
New Yeti Owner - Couple Questions LSXGMC Axial Yeti 7 01-10-2015 09:47 PM
New Yeti Owner - Questions ebbet Axial Yeti 1 01-04-2015 05:26 PM