Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: DHawk Bulkhead Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default DHawk Bulkhead Questions

I've done much reading on the DHawk V2 Bulkhead, but I still have a two questions.

1. Is the BHB pinion mod required when using the V2 bulkhead in conjunction with the Axial HD ring and pinion?

2. When ordering the bulkhead off of eBay (witch I assume is the only place to purchase DHawk parts) how do I make sure I'm getting the V2 and not the V1?

Thanks
wayfastwhitey440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: DHawk Bulkhead Questions

I am not using the mod with the v2 bulkhead and it works well. When I looked on eBay, I believe the listing said "v 2," but if you have any question just reach out to Jimmy. He's been really responsive in my experience.
Pete9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

1. No.

2. CNC Alloy Front Bulkhead V2 Black For AXial Yeti XL AX90032 AX90038 Dhawk Racing
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:36 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You can buy it directly from GPM, zero shipping rate. You can also make a good deal if you buy something else http://www.gpmracing.com.hk/en/produ....zyUAAWpJ.dpbs

Sent from my Xperia Z5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tzicul; 07-23-2017 at 06:40 AM.
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Dhawk and GPM bulk heads aren't the same.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Dhawk and GPM bulk heads aren't the same.
Hehe, you are right Didn't noticed the differences until now. Nevertheless, I have the highest confidence in GPM products. Even more, from the pictures it seems you can't do the third bearing mod on Dhawk. If you want to, of course.

Last edited by Tzicul; 07-23-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yes GPM makes legit parts but he was asking about the dhawk V2 meaning he probably doesn't want to mod the HD gears. And yes, you cannot run the 3rd bearing mod in dhawk.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Seriously, even though I see some replies here that the unmodded HD gears work with Dhawk V2 bulkhead, this was not the case with the one I got.
Barharbor replied to some earlier thread about the pinion mod showing measurements differences with V1 and V2, and per those measurements I definitely have V2. Nevertheless, without BHB mod the gears were barely moving. After BHB mod, the bulkhead does work ok.....BUT, if I tighten the bulkhead screws properly, the gears don't turn as smoothly anymore, and it feels like the bulkhead is 0.0something mm too narrow. I've tried it with the stock plastic, GPM and Hot racing diff cups both stock and FastEddy output bearings, and assembling the diff without diff oil, and it's still the same, much better without the last half turn tightening the screws. Anyone else who has the same problem? I've started thinking that maybe the stock plastic bulkhead is zeropointzerosomething too narrow but ok with the flex, and with the same measurements causes problem when it is aluminium.

To make it even more strange, I have the GPM bulkhead as well, and putting the same modded HD gears and diff cup in it works perfect, a lot smoother than my Dhawk.
xwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:41 AM   #9

I just recently got the Dhawk V2 bulkhead and my unmodified HAD gears fit perfect. I used 0 shims and the Dhawk spacer. The mesh seemed spot on.
kenyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Can you post the measurements of the housing (place for pinion)?

I'd really want to compare those to the measurements from the one I have.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwoop View Post
Seriously, even though I see some replies here that the unmodded HD gears work with Dhawk V2 bulkhead, this was not the case with the one I got.
Barharbor replied to some earlier thread about the pinion mod showing measurements differences with V1 and V2, and per those measurements I definitely have V2. Nevertheless, without BHB mod the gears were barely moving. After BHB mod, the bulkhead does work ok.....BUT, if I tighten the bulkhead screws properly, the gears don't turn as smoothly anymore, and it feels like the bulkhead is 0.0something mm too narrow. I've tried it with the stock plastic, GPM and Hot racing diff cups both stock and FastEddy output bearings, and assembling the diff without diff oil, and it's still the same, much better without the last half turn tightening the screws. Anyone else who has the same problem? I've started thinking that maybe the stock plastic bulkhead is zeropointzerosomething too narrow but ok with the flex, and with the same measurements causes problem when it is aluminium.

To make it even more strange, I have the GPM bulkhead as well, and putting the same modded HD gears and diff cup in it works perfect, a lot smoother than my Dhawk.
I had the same problem...

Dhawk v2 does not require any shims at all. I used to bearings and the hawk spacer in mine. Then it closes tight as a tiger and no binding. Smooth as silk.
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Just got my second Dhawk V2 bulkhead, this time ordered on Ebay from Dhawk.

And....it just doesn't work properly with unmodded HD pinion. Too tight, doesn't turn smooth. But I don't mind doing the mod, and after it works now perfect.

Anyway this second one I got (I ordered just because I wanted to see if the HD gears fit and if my first one was just bad production). My first one is sideways so tight I cannot tighten the screws properly or it jams the ring gear. The same diffcup/ring gear works all good with my GPM bulkhead and with this new V2 bulkhead. The new one is perfect sideways and otherwise as well with the modded gears. If the pinion sits against the bearing which position is fixed by the design of the bulkhead like Dhawk, I do not believe you could have perfect mesh with both HD and standard pinion with that kind of design. You could do it the way that you make the design fit unmodded HD gears and add a spacer/shims between the bearing and pinion with standard pinion. I'm still waiting to see an explanation how the geometry/design of Dhawk bulkhead would possible work ok for both standard and HD pinion.

DHawk Bulkhead Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dhawk aluminum front bulkhead!! Priv Joker Axial Yeti XL 76 01-13-2016 07:10 PM
Dhawk bulkhead with Hotracing front front sway bar mond Axial Yeti XL 7 09-19-2015 08:44 AM
DHAWK has lost it pro mod steve Axial Yeti XL 11 09-02-2015 04:16 PM