Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Yeti XL center diff?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 02:43 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Yeti XL center diff?

Hi,

I've seen some talks about center diff here on the forums, but haven't yet seen any more detailed solutions how to do it. It's a long way to order parts to Finland just to try out if they would fit for the purpose, so I'd appreciate some more info about it, mods/parts needed, some pics?.

BHB? Tonyfalcon?
xwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Yeti XL center diff?

Here was one vid from BHB, but I don't know what happened after this:

Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:07 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Yes I found that video earlier, but it doesn't really give too much advice how BHB finally implemented it, was the original transmission case used or did he build a custom transmission "case", and how he placed the different parts in the chassis. Also it seems there is a lot of custom work with cvd's and center diff mounts. And it won't be easy considering the space available in YXL chassis. I'm not sure, but I think it was BHB's bomber XL where he put the center diff, and thus might have some extra space for the center diff compared to stock YXL chassis. Also Tonyfalcon posted in this thread Top speed so far
about about his super modded YXL and mentioned having center diff.

What I'm looking for here is the architecture how to place the whole thing transmission+center diff and some suggestions for parts to use for it. It's a shame Axial didn't include it in the first place. It really doesn't feel too complicated to include when designing/building a new model from scratch.

I have all the diff cases and transmission case in aluminum, BHB modded gears, RR clutch, dhawk rear driveshaft etc, but still have the feeling I want to take that last step with center diff to make the whole driveline as bulletproof as possible.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:56 AM   #4
RCC Addict

It truly is the ultimate Mod for the yeti XL. I've tested it out for a couple months now and I haven't broken anything except for Glue beads and beadlocks! I'll post a video soon showing how it's done. I'm also installing A lockable Nero Center diff In the bomber XL so I can have it locked up or open diff for high-speed bashing another advantage is it will convert me over to mod 1 gearing . If all goes well that might be a good alternative for making a YXL multiversed especially when it's paired with a Sensored motor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwoop View Post
Yes I found that video earlier, but it doesn't really give too much advice how BHB finally implemented it, was the original transmission case used or did he build a custom transmission "case", and how he placed the different parts in the chassis. Also it seems there is a lot of custom work with cvd's and center diff mounts. And it won't be easy considering the space available in YXL chassis. I'm not sure, but I think it was BHB's bomber XL where he put the center diff, and thus might have some extra space for the center diff compared to stock YXL chassis. Also Tonyfalcon posted in this thread Top speed so far
about about his super modded YXL and mentioned having center diff.

What I'm looking for here is the architecture how to place the whole thing transmission+center diff and some suggestions for parts to use for it. It's a shame Axial didn't include it in the first place. It really doesn't feel too complicated to include when designing/building a new model from scratch.

I have all the diff cases and transmission case in aluminum, BHB modded gears, RR clutch, dhawk rear driveshaft etc, but still have the feeling I want to take that last step with center diff to make the whole driveline as bulletproof as possible.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:04 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks BHB! Super happy if you find time to post the video.

In my experience throttle landings on grippy grass destroy driveline parts. I had one stupid landing, on the front tires (full throttle, low speed) that cracked a front wheel hex and bent the output shaft on the same side. luckily the front BHB modded HD gears in a Dhawk bulkhead (and HR alloy front clip) held up with no damage.

I know it is stupid landing slow speed full throttle on grippy surface, but the thing is I don't even want to ease the throttle especially when landing while the YXL is just about to flip over around the front axle....having throttle on the front tires will often pull it back level at first contact.
I hope the RR clutch I just installed helps a bit, but it is such a strain for the driveline (at least with all the f***** slop in driveline due gearbox pins etc.) I have no doubt center diff is needed.

I'd appreciate some info about the parts/numbers included. Living overseas it get's awfully expensive anyway ordering all the parts, so getting it right with the part #'s etc. right away makes it hurt a little bit less.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yep I'm bringing up an old thread... do we have more information on the center diff mod?
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
RCC Addict

https://instagram.com/p/BkVncqSA68d/ It’s pretty much indestructible �� I’m stockpiling Rc and RZR4 footages for my YouTube channel.. hopefully I’ll be pumping out steady content! Planning on a epic RZR4 vs drone night chase in a blizzard red leds... check out my rig if you’re into off-roading https://instagram.com/p/Bqc3yN0nLdX/
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:53 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
https://instagram.com/p/BkVncqSA68d/ It’s pretty much indestructible I’m stockpiling Rc and RZR4 footages for my YouTube channel.. hopefully I’ll be pumping out steady content! Planning on a epic RZR4 vs drone night chase in a blizzard red leds... check out my rig if you’re into off-roading https://instagram.com/p/Bqc3yN0nLdX/
That's an insane takeoff haha!but still doesn't show how to mount the centre diff lol!

I want my xl for fast bashing not slow crawling so a diff is a must for me.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti XL center diff? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti Rear Axle W/ center diff & lower trailing arms XJsport95 Axial Yeti 15 01-21-2015 09:33 PM
A different center diff ah_5500 Axial Wraith 12 12-08-2012 11:33 AM
has anyone tried a center diff? joshII Formula Offroad 3 06-08-2011 05:42 PM