Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: strongest Axial driveline

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #1

Default strongest Axial driveline

Hey everyone,

So I'm looking to find out which R/C's of the Axial line have the strongest driveline from the transmissions down to the differentials.
Was looking at the yeti XL sales ads on their page and it said the transmission was metal or strong enough to handle a proper brushless system.
Does the yeti XL have the strongest driveline?

My plans are to mount up clod buster sized wheels if not the losi mt XL wheels and tires onto a chassis using hopefully the yeti XL transmission and diffs and give it a 4WS setup.
Trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: strongest Axial driveline

Technically the Yeti XL would be the strongest of the Axial line but I really don't know about using MTXL wheels/tires because of the stress involved. The bearings in the YXL trans case aren't the biggest and I've seen some people have ruined them on 6S. Sounds like you have a custom project idea so I suppose it really depends what electronics and size you were aiming for as well.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #3

I don't own a Yeti XL, but it seems to have issues on its own. Adding large monster truck tires will make things worse.

The strongest monster truck axles that I am aware of are the Freestyle RC. But they aren't cheap.

The AR60 axles can't withstand Clod sized tires without a lot of upgrades (Beef Tubes, stronger axles, upgraded hardened gears, and hardened lockers or upgraded HPI diff gears and shims). I don't know if these upgrades are available for the Yeti XL.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Very good points above.

What really needs to be know is what your are doing besides the giant heavy tires. I assume the Yeti XL was chosen for its axle width and bigger than a 1/10 transmission.

Depending on what you are building, how much power you want to throw at it, what is its intended purpose, budget etc will determine any suggestions.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Have you considered the traxxas summit driveline? You may need to upgrade the diff gears, but adding rear steer is relatively straightforward. Unlike the AR60, the yeti XL rear axle lacks readily (any?) available parts to convert it to rear steering.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #6

Will be used as a basher not a speed demon. Want it to be solid and not break from the torque of the brushless system. 25 mph is good enough if it ends up being faster then so be it.

Checked out freestyle RC and everything looked really good except the Traxxas diffs they require.
Traxxas driveline is known to be trash, not sure why they chose those diffs.
Also I'll never give traxxas another penny because of what they are doing right now with the lawsuits. They are toxic to the RC hobby as a whole.

Saw the rc4wd scale diffs which look cool but not sure how those would hold up.

Thanks or the replys so far all.

Last edited by Trapper; 12-17-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Reply function on my own tread isn't saving
Old 12-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #7

Having issues getting a proper connection atm
Old 12-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Are you planning on going with the stock setup, ifs/solid axle? Or ifs/irs or solid axles front/rear? Because you mention 4ws, and the only person making parts for a solid axle is helio rc so you might want to check about parts availability.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I'm in the process of adding rear steer to an Axial SMT10. Its a common mod for this platform and if you get lucky finding cheap take-off parts it could be done for around $50. With clod-sized tires the finished product has a really nice scale monster truck look, which is the main reason I chose the SMT10.

The downside is the weak drive train, as mentioned above. I'll be sticking with a 17T brushed motor, or possibly mild brushless in the future. I've added steel transmission gears (about $30) and will upgrade whatever breaks, but I don't expect much trouble. I tend to use a little mechanical sympathy when driving this one, so YMMV.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Are you planning on going with the stock setup, ifs/solid axle? Or ifs/irs or solid axles front/rear?
Yeah, this.

If independent suspension is a possibility, skip anything Axial and go straight to 1/8 buggy/truggy components for a bomb proof drivetrain.

That unholy beast of a motor runs 6S on a nearly stock Tekno drive line.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote

strongest Axial driveline - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Yeti - Driveline Issue PunchFatty Newbie General 2 12-25-2016 10:07 PM
MIP Driveline cross pin for Axial OD/UD gears difflocker Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 10-23-2012 09:14 PM
Strongest axles? eb76adam General Crawlers 0 12-23-2004 05:02 PM