Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Considering a Yeti XL Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #1

Default Considering a Yeti XL Kit

New member here, but by no means new to RC. I have a bunch of 1/8th scale cars, fly RC things, and serve as the pit crew for the SCX10.2 that I built for my dad as gift.

The Yeti XL has always been interesting to me, but I never pulled the trigger on getting one. Tower currently has the kit version for $70 off and I'm thinking it might be time to get one. I definitely want the kit and I prefer to buy new cars/kits.

Before I take the plunge I want to get an idea of what sort of upgrades this thing will need to be reliable/durable. From the research I've done, the following are needed:

1) 4S power?
2) Steering rack upgrade from dhawk
3) Shock caps
4) Diff/bulkhead/drivetrain mods I would really appreciate some schooling on this. Especially regarding the pinions and housings.

Anything else?

I really appreciate the help.
pman9003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Considering a Yeti XL Kit

Thats a good start. I think what I found is I kept upgrading, mostly to aluminum parts, as I broke things or could afford them. There are so many cool goodies to get. After your list, I kept bending lower bulks because I would hit something or crash bad. So I started upgrading the front end. I really like the lower bulk and upper shock tower. After my 2nd set of stock A-Arms, I bought the Dhawk Aluminum A-Arms and found them to be great. My front end feels so much tighter. Getting rid of all that flexy plastic was a big improvement in the way it responded. Especially in the shocks. So do what you can afford or see a problem with and not upgrade to something yet till you see the need or have the cash.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Dhawk bell crank, v2 front bulkhead, shock caps. HR tranny, hub set and rear housing. Fast eddy bearings. GPM rear driveshaft. CI DW foams.

That should be it. LOL.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
Thats a good start. I think what I found is I kept upgrading, mostly to aluminum parts, as I broke things or could afford them. There are so many cool goodies to get. After your list, I kept bending lower bulks because I would hit something or crash bad. So I started upgrading the front end. I really like the lower bulk and upper shock tower. After my 2nd set of stock A-Arms, I bought the Dhawk Aluminum A-Arms and found them to be great. My front end feels so much tighter. Getting rid of all that flexy plastic was a big improvement in the way it responded. Especially in the shocks. So do what you can afford or see a problem with and not upgrade to something yet till you see the need or have the cash.
I was planning on doing most of the upgrades when building the kit. I just want to get a better idea of how many upgrades these rigs need to reliable/durable. Cash isn't really an issue, but if its gonna be a money pit of mods I won't get it. I avoid RCs that have a reputation for needing lots of work/mods to be solid, thus the reason I stick to 1/8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Dhawk bell crank, v2 front bulkhead, shock caps. HR tranny, hub set and rear housing. Fast eddy bearings. GPM rear driveshaft. CI DW foams.

That should be it. LOL.
Is the rear axle really that weak that an aluminum one is needed?
Old 12-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You'll probably be fine on 4s, unless your a reckless driver. But it has dual bigger pinion bearings so its just adding to a more bulletproof setup.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #6

Thanks for the all the help, but I decided to put the money toward FPV gear and my other car builds that I have going at the moment. I'll circle back to getting a Yeti XL eventually though

Considering a Yeti XL Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Yeti kit vs Los Rock Rey kit Dawson4 General Crawlers 15 11-12-2017 01:53 PM
Yeti kit or Wraith Spawn kit? The Dark Knight Axial Yeti 3 09-25-2015 09:09 AM