Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Might be time to hang em up.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2017, 06:17 AM   #21

Default Re: Might be time to hang em up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
Even though it’s the same “scale class” trophy truck, but I’m sure the drop from 1/5 to 1/6 is a huge difference in parts scale... I’m wondering if the price for the parts will reflect that. I’m shocked no Center diff and I noticed the axle shaft pins look small for such a powerful power plant..
Surprisingly the parts on the Super Baja Rey ARE much smaller than the 5IVE-T. It blows my mind Losi would do such a stupid thing. You can't even use 5IVE-T wheels going by the specs. 3" vs 4.75" wheel diameter. What were they thinking?!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
Even though it’s the same “scale class” trophy truck, but I’m sure the drop from 1/5 to 1/6 is a huge difference in parts scale... I’m wondering if the price for the parts will reflect that. I’m shocked no Center diff and I noticed the axle shaft pins look small for such a powerful power plant..
It does have a CD. By the parts explosion it is part of the Motor Mount. All the diff looks to be from the Audi R8 but can't cross reference the parts yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Surprisingly the parts on the Super Baja Rey ARE much smaller than the 5IVE-T. It blows my mind Losi would do such a stupid thing. You can't even use 5IVE-T wheels going by the specs. 3" vs 4.75" wheel diameter. What were they thinking?!
I saw they are using 20mm hexes and yes a goofball sized tire. I can see the scale down aspect but Losi should have used what is proven and is currently on the market/aftermarket in order for this scale to take off.

Would i order one? Nope. Would i order it if it were a Rock Rey? Most definitely.

When Losi/TLR make a 1/5 Truggy it will be in my RC lineup.
Attached Images

Last edited by cmbscx10; 12-29-2017 at 10:42 AM.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

I didnt have my xl for long but I miss it.

I bought a kit when it was first released. Are the issues only when running 6s? I only ever ran 4s it was still a beast but never had any issues really except for driver errors.
Bbknucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Axial has been having sales left and right and not just on the XL. And Axial PR has been crappy at best lately. It seemed to have gone downhill when the whole supply issue happened this year or last. And it hasn't improved. It just seems to get worse. I agree that Axial needs to get it together.

My concern about Arrma is that they might not be there in the future. HobbiCo is rumored to be having severe financial difficulty. They killed off Durango, which the early Arrmas were based on, and so what will happen to Arrma when times get tough?
I'm afraid you were right. This is just sad for many reasons. Even though traxxas didn't directly crumble arrma and hobbico they sure sped up that process with the lawsuit and put a big strain on them. A real shame, that's mostly how it works. The better product sometimes doesn't always come out on top.

The "little guys" over at arrma were passionate about their products and now they are facing potential layoffs. Even though this most likely won't be the end of the brand as their will be a potential buyer in the meantime the last thing they will be focusing is on r&d and new products as they hopefully restructure. Will it go they way that hpi did? Even they have issues with parts and they have since rebuilt.

Hobbico seeking a buyer as it works through bankruptcy | News-Gazette.com
Dionisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionisi View Post
I'm afraid you were right. This is just sad for many reasons. Even though traxxas didn't directly crumble arrma and hobbico they sure sped up that process with the lawsuit and put a big strain on them. A real shame, that's mostly how it works. The better product sometimes doesn't always come out on top.

The "little guys" over at arrma were passionate about their products and now they are facing potential layoffs. Even though this most likely won't be the end of the brand as their will be a potential buyer in the meantime the last thing they will be focusing is on r&d and new products as they hopefully restructure. Will it go they way that hpi did? Even they have issues with parts and they have since rebuilt.

Hobbico seeking a buyer as it works through bankruptcy | News-Gazette.com
You can't blame Traxxas in any way for this. There wouldn't be a lawsuit without HobbiCo being in the wrong. HobbiCo did that to themselves.

"The better product sometimes doesn't always come out on top"?

Well Arrma isn't done yet, but apparently their new vehicles are all plastic and junk. People are afraid to run weak Castle 3800kv brushless systems in them.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You can't blame Traxxas in any way for this. There wouldn't be a lawsuit without HobbiCo being in the wrong. HobbiCo did that to themselves.

"The better product sometimes doesn't always come out on top"?

Well Arrma isn't done yet, but apparently their new vehicles are all plastic and junk. People are afraid to run weak Castle 3800kv brushless systems in them.
Combination of things that are hurting the hobby actually. Economy and people are buying alot of knockoff brands that isn't helping the hobby.

If you are referring to the mega line of arrma cars being cheap I'm sure they are, they are aimed for beginners. A stock slash is pretty much all plastic also and cannot hold brushless either without snapping those weak axles and breaking other parts. I don't hold allegiance to any brand I have a good mix and wouldn't give up my xmaxx for anything but a dated revo and a kraton for example shows how far ahead one is over the other.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #27

Quote:
If you are referring to the mega line of arrma cars being cheap I'm sure they are, they are aimed for beginners. A stock slash is pretty much all plastic also and cannot hold brushless either without snapping those weak axles and breaking other parts. I don't hold allegiance to any brand I have a good mix and wouldn't give up my xmaxx for anything but a dated revo and a kraton for example shows how far ahead one is over the other.
A stock Slash can't handle brushless? That's 100% false. In fact, Traxxas offers the Slash with a VXL brushless system. Did you forget the all metal transmission and the fact that people use Traxxas plastic axles and driveshafts in other builds because they are so strong?

If the Revo is so dated then why did Arrma copy it when making the Nero?

Come on, man. Argue all you want, but don't lie to fit your agenda. It's getting hilarious at this point.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
A stock Slash can't handle brushless? That's 100% false. In fact, Traxxas offers the Slash with a VXL brushless system. Did you forget the all metal transmission and the fact that people use Traxxas plastic axles and driveshafts in other builds because they are so strong?

If the Revo is so dated then why did Arrma copy it when making the Nero?

Come on, man. Argue all you want, but don't lie to fit your agenda. It's getting hilarious at this point.
I'm not arguing your the traxxas nuthugger. When traxxas builds a revo out of the box that can survive 6s I'll praise them. Fact is they've focused alot of their attention on the xmaxx. How come traxxas didn't rush and beef up their diffs like they did with the xmaxx or even add a center diff.

What's hilarious is you defend a brand like your sponsored by them. It sure sparked something when I mentioned traxxas. Your that guy who runs maxx-amps because they are the best batts around, 120c rated so they must be great.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #29

Quote:
I'm not arguing your the traxxas nuthugger. When traxxas builds a revo out of the box that can survive 6s I'll praise them. Fact is they've focused alot of their attention on the xmaxx. How come traxxas didn't rush and beef up their diffs like they did with the xmaxx or even add a center diff.

What's hilarious is you defend a brand like your sponsored by them. It sure sparked something when I mentioned traxxas. Your that guy who runs maxx-amps because they are the best batts around, 120c rated so they must be great.
You're. It's you're not your.

I'm not a Traxxas nut hugger or fanboy or whatever you want to call me. I'm just stating facts. You're (not your) stating bullshit. Of course you get all defensive when you realize that you're wrong.

Traxxas isn't perfect. No brand is. But people make up so many lies about Traxxas.

No 1/10th scale RC needs to be 6S capable out of the box. That's retarded. Even 1/8th scale racing buggies and truggies only run 4S.

I don't know why you think I run Max Amps. Just another lie from a liar.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You're. It's you're not your.

I'm not a Traxxas nut hugger or fanboy or whatever you want to call me. I'm just stating facts. You're (not your) stating bullshit. Of course you get all defensive when you realize that you're wrong.

Traxxas isn't perfect. No brand is. But people make up so many lies about Traxxas.

No 1/10th scale RC needs to be 6S capable out of the box. That's retarded. Even 1/8th scale racing buggies and truggies only run 4S.

I don't know why you think I run Max Amps. Just another lie from a liar.
No lies here. Alot of what people say of traxxas is true and alot is just hate. I go by experience and i have run most everything but obviously don't have experience in every scenario. I fell into the marketing with the batteries and the chargers etc. They make some good stuff but their electronics are subpar. I have access to great batts but when the lipos they recommend puff so easily in an x-maxx people have a legitimate beef.

Or when I've had issues with every esc except my trx-4. Their electronics are bad, they should have stuck with castle to make all of their stuff but who knows cost etc. About the plastic axles surviving big power, are you blowing smoke up my ass. I would love to meet up and have a friendly rc bashing and would like to see that myself and would eat my words. Every one I've had with some power snapped, twisted and didn't survive. ( stampede vxl on 3s, slash and a few erevos that weren't my own).
Old 01-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #31

Quote:
No lies here. Alot of what people say of traxxas is true and alot is just hate. I go by experience and i have run most everything but obviously don't have experience in every scenario. I fell into the marketing with the batteries and the chargers etc. They make some good stuff but their electronics are subpar. I have access to great batts but when the lipos they recommend puff so easily in an x-maxx people have a legitimate beef.

Or when I've had issues with every esc except my trx-4. Their electronics are bad, they should have stuck with castle to make all of their stuff but who knows cost etc. About the plastic axles surviving big power, are you blowing smoke up my ass. I would love to meet up and have a friendly rc bashing and would like to see that myself and would eat my words. Every one I've had with some power snapped, twisted and didn't survive. ( stampede vxl on 3s, slash and a few erevos that weren't my own).
Like I said, Traxxas isn't perfect, but they do offer a lot of awesome RCs.

I would never, ever buy their batteries or chargers. That's just silly. They are extremely overpriced and that, alone, is enough reason for me not to buy them. That's where it pays to be an informed consumer before making purchases...

I've never had a single Traxxas ESC failure, but I don't try to overtax them. As far as RTR stuff goes, they make pretty good stuff. If you want to see shitty RTR electronics check out Axial. The old Castle stuff wasn't great which even Castle admits.

Plastic parts will break with enough abuse. But they are strong for what they are. That's why solid axle monster truck racers choose Traxxas plastic shafts.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Well I'll agree with the Traxxas electronics. My nephew accidentally forgot to remove a battery from my daughters scx10ii that had an esc out of the trx4 in it. The damn thing caught fire on the shelf. Luckily I always leave the body's unpinned on the shelf. I just grabbed the battery by the wires and threw it in the sink. Couldn't tell what was smoking. Turns out it was the esc. It was off. Just had the battery plugged in. Luckily I was downstairs in my hobby room. Could have been devastating.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:40 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
It does have a CD. By the parts explosion it is part of the Motor Mount. All the diff looks to be from the Audi R8 but can't cross reference the parts yet.

I saw they are using 20mm hexes and yes a goofball sized tire. I can see the scale down aspect but Losi should have used what is proven and is currently on the market/aftermarket in order for this scale to take off.

Would i order one? Nope. Would i order it if it were a Rock Rey? Most definitely.

When Losi/TLR make a 1/5 Truggy it will be in my RC lineup.
Yep those are Losi R8 6ix diffs, I was bashing my 6ix last weekend and saw those losi beta testers at the track bashing the crap out of the super Baja Rey. Cool guys, they let me play with the SBR and even compared parts and that’s when we saw the diff is the same as the 6ix. Here’s hoping that this will not suffer the same fate as the 6ix that faded into obscurity.
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:51 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Also motor, ESC and servo are the same.
tonyfalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #35
Pebble Pounder

https://goo.gl/images/uv233S
Another solid axle contender.

http://www.rccaraction.com/traxxas-u...blow-your-mind

Last edited by Dionisi; 01-31-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: Might be time to hang em up.

Quite a while ago I ordered my YXL and eventually I began building it

Hanging out here inspired me to get several of the recommended upgrades (foams, wheels, steering system, metal shaft, metal body panels, and other stuff)

Then . . . when I got to the point of performing the famous "Gear Mod" I just stopped - that was more than a year ago - I've lost virtually all of my enthusiasm for finishing the build - I don't have any confidence I will ever want to complete my Yeti XL so I'm going to list it in the classifieds soon

But hey, my experience wasn't a total loss: I have enjoyed the incredible ingenuity, problem solving, patience, and friendly nature among those who have been involved in this Yeti XL forum - y'all have given me some great advice, encouragement and I truly admire your problem solving skills and relentless tenacity

For that I am very grateful - thank you!
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post

Quite a while ago I ordered my YXL and eventually I began building it

Hanging out here inspired me to get several of the recommended upgrades (foams, wheels, steering system, metal shaft, metal body panels, and other stuff)

Then . . . when I got to the point of performing the famous "Gear Mod" I just stopped - that was more than a year ago - I've lost virtually all of my enthusiasm for finishing the build - I don't have any confidence I will ever want to complete my Yeti XL so I'm going to list it in the classifieds soon

But hey, my experience wasn't a total loss: I have enjoyed the incredible ingenuity, problem solving, patience, and friendly nature among those who have been involved in this Yeti XL forum - y'all have given me some great advice, encouragement and I truly admire your problem solving skills and relentless tenacity

For that I am very grateful - thank you!
Yea I hear you man, I feel the same way. Put mine up recently for sale. Took awhile to muster up the guts to do so but on to bigger and better things I guess. I am gonna miss it though the constant tinkering although fun I am more of a basher.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #38

i just want hpi to do a large scale desert racer..
Zachariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
i just want hpi to do a large scale desert racer..
That would be kool but I don't like how hpi discontinues their stuff so fast. I like them and all and even though they are making a comeback I wont bet on them too much.

I have a wr8 flux that's just sitting on the shelf collecting dust because parts are impossible to get or just sold out everywhere. As ok as the savage line is it's just old and a tired design with better stuff out. I do like what they did with the crawler they have. But really it's ok because I already have the desert racer from traxxas preordered and as much as people like to hate I know it won't be discontinued and parts will be plentiful. Oh and did I mention it looks awesome, but we shall see if it runs as good as it looks.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:21 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

So is the consensus here not to get a YXL for all around bashing (and by bashing I mean just off road, BMX track etc but not huge jumping) on 4s?

I currently have a slash 4x4 with 1/8 power but I'm getting over it.. want something bigger but scale looking.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Might be time to hang em up. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti XL: Can it hang with Supers BIG T Axial Yeti XL 6 01-23-2018 08:30 AM
RC4WD Gelande Sam Fisher's Hang Time ifulg Scale Videos! 0 07-15-2013 10:42 PM
I turn it on-it wants to hang a right! jado6006 Electronics 3 07-03-2012 05:45 PM
so, who's got a hang over from last night? demonoid369 Chit Chat 8 03-18-2011 04:23 PM
CC01 ?, dont hang me for it please Mav-1981 Tamiya XC/CC01 5 04-26-2009 02:55 PM