Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Might be time to hang em up.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Might be time to hang em up.

I would't buy one new anymore. YXL is nice looking P...O...S from the box, heavily upgraded it is a nice rig. First of all that 400-600usd is not enough, it'll eat 1500 pretty quickly before it's strong enough. Traxxas UDR will offer as much long suspension scale realisms with less money (don't get fooled by the initial lower price for YXL) and parts support for years to come.
xwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2018, 10:33 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwoop View Post
I would't buy one new anymore. YXL is nice looking P...O...S from the box, heavily upgraded it is a nice rig. First of all that 400-600usd is not enough, it'll eat 1500 pretty quickly before it's strong enough. Traxxas UDR will offer as much long suspension scale realisms with less money (don't get fooled by the initial lower price for YXL) and parts support for years to come.
Fair enough.

I'm in Australia and the kit is $700au... not sure on the RTR but I would get the kit.

I already have a castle 2200 4s setup I'd put in it and just run my current 3s batteries through it.

I saw some used but it's the RTR version for about $350 ($300us?) But it's sold now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #43
Rock Stacker

WoW..... just picked up my first XL last Saturday, looks and runs great with a 4s 2500kv, I’ve had lotsa fun so far, but I came here to find out about what upgrades I should do first, didn’t realize these must be big steaming piles of crap that you have to pour hundreds in just to be reliable.......scared me fellas!
VoodooSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #44
RCC Addict

I've said it before but I'm convinced the truck is really only meant for 4S. When you try 6S it's simply too much power for the driveline and you have to dump a bunch of money into it to get it up to par.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:57 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
I've said it before but I'm convinced the truck is really only meant for 4S. When you try 6S it's simply too much power for the driveline and you have to dump a bunch of money into it to get it up to par.
Hey mate, so on 3/4s I'd be fine? I don't care about strait line speed and you never use all of 6s for general bashing around.

I just want a fun large scale truck and I love kits.

As mentioned above it will have a 4s esc and Traxxas 2200kv (first gen castle 2200 I believe it is) and thats that.

I don't mind minor handling mods like metal steering etc. And I don't do huge jumps.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkybob View Post
Hey mate, so on 3/4s I'd be fine? I don't care about strait line speed and you never use all of 6s for general bashing around.

I just want a fun large scale truck and I love kits.

As mentioned above it will have a 4s esc and Traxxas 2200kv (first gen castle 2200 I believe it is) and thats that.

I don't mind minor handling mods like metal steering etc. And I don't do huge jumps.

My YXL has been on 4S its entire life so I'd say it's fine. Even then you'll notice things like the center rear driveshaft getting twisted, which would normally prompt an upgrade if you try to run anything above 4S. The only other driveline related component I broke was shearing a screw for the front diff pinion, but otherwise the rest of my breaks come from cartwheeling down large hills. I also use the stiff Axial sway bars and the torque twist above 4S is also downright ridiculous.

Last edited by Sneetches; 03-19-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:12 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
My YXL has been on 4S its entire life so I'd say it's fine. Even then you'll notice things like the center rear driveshaft getting twisted, which would normally prompt an upgrade if you try to run anything above 4S. The only other driveline related component I broke was shearing a screw for the front diff pinion, but otherwise the rest of my breaks come from cartwheeling down large hills. I also use the stiff Axial sway bars and the torque twist above 4S is also downright ridiculous.
Thanks brother, that's pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear.

Seems the kit already comes with the newer/better front diff gears etc. so if I just upgraded to a steel rear drive shaft and kept to 3/4s I'll be sweet.

I bash, but my form of bashing isn't "fully sick let's launch it off a roof into a tree!!" My form of bashing is quite sedate.

My 4x4 slash fully upgraded and basically bulletproof is even taken care of.

I'll see what I can find but I love building kits so I'll try to convince my wife to let me get one with my upcoming overtime from the Easter public holidays (work gives us 2.5x)

It's $700au, which is only $50 more then from amain after the conversion and I'll get it in 2 days I stead of 2 weeks.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:01 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Yep... That went exactly how I expected with my wife lol.

I think I heard "your car isn't broken why do you need another one"

Guess people who have no hobbies don't understand.

She's happy to spend $600 on something for the fish tank though without batting an eyelid.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #49

I run strictly 6s in mine and have been going strong for awhile now. As long as you do the pinion mod and make sure your drivetrain/bearings are in good condition it is a dependable RC.

Believe me, I wanted to rip my hair out with this thing initially but it now has become a truck I will never sell...partly because I put so much time into it

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Traxxas will come out with a Class 1 buggy off their UDR platform!
davidg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #50
RCC Addict

A simple pinion mod and a center diff and it’s the baddest rig out there.. It would whip a URDs ass. I’ve watched the running videos and I’m not overly impressed tho I am impressed that Traxxas has been taking a leading charger into introducing new creative platforms.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
A simple pinion mod and a center diff and it’s the baddest rig out there..
You make your CD kit yet?
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #52

I’ve been through a few trucks in the last two years, and the yxl didn’t last long. If I were going to get a basher, new e revo would be the choice. As far as scale, can’t help ya there... too much work to keep an xl driving.
hutchinstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #53
RCC Addict

After seeing the UDR and the Super Ray in action I’m honestly not that impressed.. far as a c/d “kit” it’s pretty much a diy... it’s pretty simple to do and well worth the effort!!! It really adds amazing durability !! Too bad they didn’t come that way ... mandatory for any basher
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Might be time to hang em up. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti XL: Can it hang with Supers BIG T Axial Yeti XL 6 01-23-2018 08:30 AM
RC4WD Gelande Sam Fisher's Hang Time ifulg Scale Videos! 0 07-15-2013 10:42 PM
I turn it on-it wants to hang a right! jado6006 Electronics 3 07-03-2012 05:45 PM
so, who's got a hang over from last night? demonoid369 Chit Chat 8 03-18-2011 04:23 PM
CC01 ?, dont hang me for it please Mav-1981 Tamiya XC/CC01 5 04-26-2009 02:55 PM