Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Might be time to hang em up.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Might be time to hang em up.

Not the hobby but possible the good ol xl. Was contemplating selling the xl awhile ago but i just could not bring myslef into doin it. Just have so much time money and even more precious time into it. But running it just gave me such a grin and a resurgence for the rig i ended up with a second one and vowed to make it as reliable as i could.

In the end with all the mods it is waaaay more reliable than stock on 6s but i think enough is enough. The whole diff issue and a company that refuses to make it right and admit to an error, i mean cmon axial grow a pair fix the stupid “haunch” on your gears and make it right. Idler bearing in the trans that was sized for a 10th scale on 3s and plastics that were melted from twizzlers. 32 pitch gearing on this heavy beast? I could go on and on. As much as some might think this is just a bellyaching rant think for a second.

There is a little brand called arrma in 2017 look what 500 bucks can get you. Go ahead and take a look, i have and just purchased a senton 6s and shortly after a 2018 outcast after being very impressed. Beef and more beef, oh and they also listen to customers and make incremental improvements, thicker shafts revised bulkheads etc.

Held out for a long time but its clear axial is focused on the crawler/scale scene.

Last edited by Dionisi; 12-25-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Dionisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2017, 04:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Might be time to hang em up.

Just noticed this - maybe points out that you are dead-on with your assessment:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW3604&P=1

$170 off, post Xmas sale
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:51 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Wow i just got a notification from tower of an after xmas sale and saw that deal also. Shame really as much as i rant about the truck if they made a v2 of it id be all over it. But sadly the people at axial are truely not bashers. Awesome conception, terrible execution and support. I also have an scx102 kit and like axial but they seriously need to stick with 4s and below. They have no buisiness slapping 6s ready on the xl.

Weve done everything as good customers as we could, supporting them with a flawed but kool rig, done bhb mods, revised rear end with bigger bearings,spent the money and time for the love of this very sweet rig, has axial shown the same love for us who stuck so long with it from the very beggining?
Old 12-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I run mine on 3s nothing has broken since 6s is way over kill i feel it can still do what its saposed to do on 3s and for the 1 thing these rigs do realy realy well on dosent mater what voltage they run on they will always look good sitting on the shelf lol gotta love the xl
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Its more of a conversation piece that will run kinda like a coffee table book that never gets read but dose have words in it lol

I think every serios rc enthusist should have one just so they can with out a dought say there cool looking but .....

Last edited by ferp420; 12-25-2017 at 09:36 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #6

I tend to agree but the XL is so dam cool. I don't think I could sell mine after spending so much time on it with all the mods
One of the biggest things I have found with my XL is running it with smaller wheels 150mm by 80mm which seems to be a bit kinder on the gears and I only run on 6s.
Axial6768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
RCC Addict

With a center diff mod the YXL is the ultimate rig... too bad I’m the only guy that’s bashed one..
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #8

Axial has been having sales left and right and not just on the XL. And Axial PR has been crappy at best lately. It seemed to have gone downhill when the whole supply issue happened this year or last. And it hasn't improved. It just seems to get worse. I agree that Axial needs to get it together.

My concern about Arrma is that they might not be there in the future. HobbiCo is rumored to be having severe financial difficulty. They killed off Durango, which the early Arrmas were based on, and so what will happen to Arrma when times get tough?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
With a center diff mod the YXL is the ultimate rig... too bad I’m the only guy that’s bashed one..
I agree 100% on the CD. Wonder when the aftermarket will make a kit to purchase?
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Axial has been having sales left and right and not just on the XL. And Axial PR has been crappy at best lately. It seemed to have gone downhill when the whole supply issue happened this year or last. And it hasn't improved. It just seems to get worse. I agree that Axial needs to get it together.

My concern about Arrma is that they might not be there in the future. HobbiCo is rumored to be having severe financial difficulty. They killed off Durango, which the early Arrmas were based on, and so what will happen to Arrma when times get tough?
You make some good points jato. As hot as arrma is now i also wonder about their future. Even though i should care about the lawsuit and how it affects them i just didnt care for the nero/inboard suspension line.

I dunno ive been in this hobby a long time and prob have one too many rigs but with all ive seen and not easily impressed arrma has my attention and i am so rooting for them. Im actually clearing up some room and replacing some of my rigs for more of arrmas line. So far ive got the senton 6s and outcast and have experience running both on 6s.

They might not be everyones answer but arrma has stuck to tried and trued designs with their own unique touches. So far ive been putting pack after pack on the senton and its balistic on 6s geared up a bit. The only drawback of having something so tough is theres not much upgrading to do on it. Sometimes i just stare at and try to find something but its not necessary aside from eating tires is prob the only thing i have to worry about.

Anyway earlier today a guy at the shop was walking out with a kraton and the guy was mentioning how hot they are selling, i just hope it stays that way.

Last edited by Dionisi; 12-27-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionisi View Post
You make some good points jato. As hot as arrma is now i also wonder about their future. Even though i should care about the lawsuit and how it affects them i just didnt care for the nero/inboard suspension line.

I dunno ive been in this hobby a long time and prob have one too many rigs but with all ive seen and not easily impressed arrma has my attention and i am so rooting for them. Im actually clearing up some room and replacing some of my rigs for more of arrmas line. So far ive got the senton 6s and outcast and have experience running both on 6s.

They might not be everyones answer but arrma has stuck to tried and trued designs with their own unique touches. So far ive been putting pack after pack on the senton and its balistic on 6s geared up a bit. The only drawback of having something so tough is theres not much upgrading to do on it. Sometimes injust stare at and try to find something but its not necessary aside from eating tires is prob the only thing i have to worry about.

Anyway earlier today a guy at the shop was walking out with a kraton and the guy was mentioning how hot they are selling, i just hope it stays that way.
I'm a Traxxas fan. I probably always will be. Arrma success is great for Traxxas fans. It will force Traxxas to innovate, once again, like the did in the past. The Revo is still one of the best handling monster trucks of all time.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I dont doubt that bhb and you have done more than enough for this community trust me, unfortunately its not enough when the company doesnt acknowledge that your mod is a must before you even run the truck.About the center diff im all in! Wheres it at? Is it a prototype? A one of? Also on the haunch of the gear is the poor average buyer going to get a drill and chuck etc. and do the necessary mod to make it run.

I can even forgive axial on many aspects, the fact that its not a hardcore basher....we know it, its unique and we still love it, we cant jump the thing like vas or duperbash and expect it to survive, we know that and its kool. The fact that it needs many upgrades, actually pretty kool and a tinkerers wet dream. What i cannot forgive axial is selling a product that just does not work out of the box more than anything.

When i purchased my second xl it was the kit and remembered bhb saying axial saying to just run the gears with the haunch. Now me knowingly a member of the forums i knew they needed to be cut but tried installing them in stock form and sure as shit they were super tight barely turning, duh.

What if some regular poor bastard buys it and is stuck with this dillemma. One of my friends actually did ask me about it and he was interested it i just couldnt bring myself to recommend it to him.

Last edited by Dionisi; 12-27-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:22 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm a Traxxas fan. I probably always will be. Arrma success is great for Traxxas fans. It will force Traxxas to innovate, once again, like the did in the past. The Revo is still one of the best handling monster trucks of all time.
I have a few of those as well, I don't discriminate

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9Hu0o3opa8jxRPcB2
Old 12-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #14
RCC Addict

1/6 scale losi super Baja just hit the market.....I wonder if it has a center diff? I’m in the process of hooking up a Arrma Nero Center diff in the SMT 5 if any of you guys are interested in my builds check out my instagram 👍🏻

https://instagram.com/p/Bc7xM4KBdx_/
Old 12-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
1/6 scale losi super Baja just hit the market.....I wonder if it has a center diff? I’m in the process of hooking up a Arrma Nero Center diff in the SMT 5 if any of you guys are interested in my builds check out my instagram 👍🏻

https://instagram.com/p/Bc7xM4KBdx_/
Oh boy, I really didn't Need to see that lol. Must make more room. I could be wrong but from the pics I don't see a center diff. Unless it's underneath by the esc.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #16

It's been officially announced.

Losi: Search Results: supbajre

Old 12-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Center Diff is king ... I wouldn’t own another basher without one... Looks like Axial isn’t the only semi scale rig in the market.. axial could dominate the 1/8+ market if they tried with some intensive R&D.. i hope they do something soon !! Bro what are you guys using to post pictures?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #18
RCC Addict

It's cool but weird at the same time, I'm not sure what Losi's obsession with 1/6 scale. Maybe that's just me having a 1/5 rig now but I guess it would be interesting to have an electric rig of similar size but more forgiving on the batteries.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
It's cool but weird at the same time, I'm not sure what Losi's obsession with 1/6 scale. Maybe that's just me having a 1/5 rig now but I guess it would be interesting to have an electric rig of similar size but more forgiving on the batteries.
Scales are so off. Most 1/10th scale RCs really aren't a true 1/10th. And the difference between 1/5th and 1/6th is probably next to nothing.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:13 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Scales are so off. Most 1/10th scale RCs really aren't a true 1/10th. And the difference between 1/5th and 1/6th is probably next to nothing.
Even though it’s the same “scale class” trophy truck, but I’m sure the drop from 1/5 to 1/6 is a huge difference in parts scale... I’m wondering if the price for the parts will reflect that. I’m shocked no Center diff and I noticed the axle shaft pins look small for such a powerful power plant..

Might be time to hang em up. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti XL: Can it hang with Supers BIG T Axial Yeti XL 6 01-23-2018 08:30 AM
RC4WD Gelande Sam Fisher's Hang Time ifulg Scale Videos! 0 07-15-2013 10:42 PM
I turn it on-it wants to hang a right! jado6006 Electronics 3 07-03-2012 05:45 PM
so, who's got a hang over from last night? demonoid369 Chit Chat 8 03-18-2011 04:23 PM
CC01 ?, dont hang me for it please Mav-1981 Tamiya XC/CC01 5 04-26-2009 02:55 PM