Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Aluminum transmission case- Worth?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #1

Default Aluminum transmission case- Worth?

Like the title states; is it worth the extra dough?

Thinking of getting the Hot racing gears and new clutch/friction surfaces. But not sure if the case would be a worthwhile investment.
Already replaced the bearings with the fast eddy set. Trans makes some noise but pretty sure I just over tightened the case. Haven't broken it yet, just expecting it to be the next weak link (rest of the drivetrain has been upgraded already).

Thanks
-John
JohnGrundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2018, 05:07 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Aluminum transmission case- Worth?

I'm happy with my HR case. With the plastic case I ended up melting the plastic and destroying bearings and finally gears, twice, and that was enough for me. HR case has been working good and haven't opened since I put it in 18 months ago.
xwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:19 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Just to add, I'm running the Yeti 64T robinson racing clutch/spur and it works way better than stock. Just a note that Robinson Racing Yeti (it is originally for the 1/10 scale Yeti) needs a little mod to the trans case. It has a spacer that needs to fit through the hole in the case for the spur shaft to rest against the bearing, for this you need to enlarge the hole a bit (but not too much..). So a bit sanding/dremel etc. is needed.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwoop View Post
Just to add, I'm running the Yeti 64T robinson racing clutch/spur and it works way better than stock. Just a note that Robinson Racing Yeti (it is originally for the 1/10 scale Yeti) needs a little mod to the trans case. It has a spacer that needs to fit through the hole in the case for the spur shaft to rest against the bearing, for this you need to enlarge the hole a bit (but not too much..). So a bit sanding/dremel etc. is needed.
Did you do the clutch at the same time of the case? Just trying to figure out the weak link with the trans. I've heard the Robinson clutch/spur is a good upgrade though, might pick that up before I grab the case as my disks are chewed up!
JohnGrundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:14 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Yeah I did trannycase and slipper upgrades the same time, didn’t need to open up the tranny case later on to make the spur shaft hole the right size.

Just a note about the tranny case. Use good quality tools and screws and don’t overtighten. The deep recesses in the tranny case are the last places where you want to strip a screw.

Last edited by xwoop; 05-10-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #6

The stock plastic trans case is tough. Unless you go for the look, performance wise I dont think it improves anything
wdiabc is offline   Reply With Quote

Aluminum transmission case- Worth? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum transmission case v/s plastic big_poppa49 Axial SCX-10 20 02-19-2022 09:25 AM
Aluminum Transmission Case - with option to mirror DowntownScience Axial SCX-10 3 07-18-2016 12:16 PM
Anyone use HR aluminum transmission case? ZippoMan Axial Wraith 28 09-15-2015 08:23 PM