Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Melting pinion gear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #1

Default Melting pinion gear?

I have been having this issue of lately melting my motor pinion gear. I run 6s with the Robinson racing metal spur gear setup. Do I need o get a hardened steel pinion gear to stop this?
basher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #2

Default Re: Melting pinion gear?

I pretty much answered my own question I ordered the hardened steel Robinson racing pinion gear. I was so busy making sure I got the right bore and pitch never bother to look at the material it was made of wasted my money on 2 HR pinions that melted like butter
Old 01-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I just went through an issue like this with a pair of Losi mini 8's. Pinions always have to meet or exceed the strength of the spur material.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #4

Well my issue continues got the hardened steel pinion. But my issue know no matter how many times I locktite my pinion gear it keeps moving of my motor shaft.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #5

Part of my shaft were pinion screws down is slightly rounded. Are the motor shafts replaceable?
Old 02-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by basher1 View Post
Part of my shaft were pinion screws down is slightly rounded. Are the motor shafts replaceable?
should be, if you can find one.

What are you using to tighten the pinion grub screw? Use a good quality hex driver, like an MIP, and get her good and tight with lock tite on it. Shouldn't move. I highly doubt the slightly rounded part of the shaft has any effect on the pinion loosening up. As long as the grub screw is good and tight you should be all set.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:01 PM   #7

I use a hex driver and blue locktite.
I’m considering drilling a little dent in the shaft so the set screw will sit deeper and going with a red locktite. Im tired of buying pinion gears. I run 6s never had this issue in the past. Probably check the front and rear differential and transmission as well. When I roll the truck I don’t here anything binding but you never know.

Melting pinion gear? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pinion gear and steel gear upgrade question (in the middle of installing, pleasehelp) Sloalty Redcat Crawlers 3 05-23-2016 08:48 PM
Pinion gear and ring gear mesh question flyboy320 Axial Wraith 18 01-09-2016 02:41 PM
Which pinion gear works best with RC4WD Steel spur gear? e32lover HPI Wheely King 8 03-10-2013 06:09 PM
Which spur gear and pinion gear with 35t motor vegas1973 General Crawlers 1 08-19-2012 11:42 AM