RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Yeti (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti/)
-   -   Exclusive Review Axial Yeti ax90026 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti/499050-exclusive-review-axial-yeti-ax90026.html)

ChronicCrawler 07-16-2014 10:25 AM

Re: Exclusive Review Axial Yeti ax90026

SO i just bought a comm lathe and a diamond bit and lathe motor and a couple expensive brushed motors just so I can take my wraith in the water. Really wanted brushless but everyone said no. But now the Yeti has a waterproof brushless!:flipoff: WTF ! my brushed stuff has not even come in the mail yet and I already regret it! Someone make me feel better?

MeanTT 07-16-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronicCrawler (Post 4836696)
SO i just bought a comm lathe and a diamond bit and lathe motor and a couple expensive brushed motors just so I can take my wraith in the water. Really wanted brushless but everyone said no. But now the Yeti has a waterproof brushless!:flipoff: WTF ! my brushed stuff has not even come in the mail yet and I already regret it! Someone make me feel better?

This may may you feel worse, but you can get brushless motors from Ebay that are waterproof for 20-25 dollars. Do they run hot? Yes. Are they the best money can buy? No. Are they better and cheaper than an old fashioned brushed motor? Absolutely.

I have completely submerged my Castle 3800 KV motor several times and it runs perfectly.

ChronicCrawler 07-16-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanTT (Post 4836705)
This may may you feel worse, but you can get brushless motors from Ebay that are waterproof for 20-25 dollars. Do they run hot? Yes. Are they the best money can buy? No. Are they better and cheaper than an old fashioned brushed motor? Absolutely.

I have completely submerged my Castle 3800 KV motor several times and it runs perfectly.

Why does this never come up when it is being directly asked?
O well I got a some super torquey HH motors now. Soon to be a pro comm cutter.

Richterat83 07-16-2014 12:07 PM

my Castle 3800kv has also gone for a swim in Lake Tahoe accidentally in my slash. Ran in to get it and kept tearing up the beach

axial 4x4 crawler 07-16-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanTT (Post 4836705)

Let me assure you that if you submerge a brushless motor of any type it will screw it up over time. Even the velineon motor gets it's bearing screwed up and that needs replacement (I hate that motor btw) but seriously you'll end up ruining this motor if you keep it up..these are meant for racing not freaking trailing or water runs! It's your motor go ahead and screw it up but I certainly would NOT run that in the water anymore!

S ARR T 8 07-16-2014 07:43 PM

Thanks for the great review,looks like a well thought out and built truck.Was wondering if it will be available in kit form any time soon.

qks57 07-16-2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCPower (Post 4835756)
For newbies out there ( like me )

it would be great if you can explain what a closed or open differential is.... and why one is better than the other.

As for oil, I wouldn't even have a clue how to open my shocks.

I now have an ECX Torment, and a brand new Thunder Tiger eMTA. I drives these out on the front lawn and haven't put much time on them,
but wonder how often u must change the oil. I guess I'll have to Youtube how to change oil in an RC vehicle shock, hopefully somebody has made a video like that.

closed diffs are diffs with oil inside them. open diffs basically means both wheels can and will spin at different speeds to help with cornering. locked diffs mean both wheels spin at the same speed, no matter what. this is used in most crawlers to help with traction and grip. if you wanna know more details, Google's your best friend. ;-)

**Subscribed to this thread from Singapore!**

Thanks for this thread badger, lovin' it!

MeanTT 07-17-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler (Post 4837246)
Let me assure you that if you submerge a brushless motor of any type it will screw it up over time. Even the velineon motor gets it's bearing screwed up and that needs replacement (I hate that motor btw) but seriously you'll end up ruining this motor if you keep it up..these are meant for racing not freaking trailing or water runs! It's your motor go ahead and screw it up but I certainly would NOT run that in the water anymore!

Both brushless and brushed motors have bearings. That damage to bearings affects both motor types.

I am not advocating that these motors should be used in a pool. I am saying that they can survive. I can service a motor with the best of them, so I am not too worried about anything going wrong.

Brushless motors will continue to improve and brushed motors will eventually go the way of the dodo bird and buggy whip.

I also hate the Velineon motor. It's expensive, and there are far better options available.

RCPower 07-17-2014 11:47 AM

ah thanks !

funny thing though, a diff, is a gear box, so wouldn't all gearboxes have to be closed ? or encased in plastic or metal ? otherwise the gears would be showing and die in minutes if running through dirt and sand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qks57 (Post 4837291)
closed diffs are diffs with oil inside them. open diffs basically means both wheels can and will spin at different speeds to help with cornering. locked diffs mean both wheels spin at the same speed, no matter what. this is used in most crawlers to help with traction and grip. if you wanna know more details, Google's your best friend. ;-)

Harley 07-17-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCPower (Post 4837931)
ah thanks !

funny thing though, a diff, is a gear box, so wouldn't all gearboxes have to be closed ? or encased in plastic or metal ? otherwise the gears would be showing and die in minutes if running through dirt and sand.

You need to watch this video. This shows how a differntial (meaning an open differntial) works. A closed, or "locked" differential just means both tires always spin together.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/K4JhruinbWc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/K4JhruinbWc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

1BAMFR 08-11-2014 08:19 PM

Is the front locked?

FRENCHBLUE72 08-11-2014 08:22 PM

The front does not come locked..

Lentsnh2012 08-11-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BAMFR (Post 4829655)
Is it locked front and rear?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BAMFR (Post 4861994)
Is the front locked?

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeler (Post 4829666)
The rear is locked but the front is open, though though it can be tuned with oil.

It's okay to look back in the thread to see if someone has already answered your question. ;-)

1BAMFR 08-11-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 (Post 4862012)
It's okay to look back in the thread to see if someone has already answered your question. ;-)

Haha, that is awesome!
Busted!

1BAMFR 08-11-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BAMFR (Post 4829655)
Is it locked front and rear?

It is only locked in the rear buddy!

SilicaStorm 08-11-2014 08:43 PM

boring !

1BAMFR 08-12-2014 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilicaStorm (Post 4862021)
boring !

Here you go Mr.Boring... http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...psebcbc93a.png

SilicaStorm 08-12-2014 07:16 AM

How many times do you need to ask the same question?

Wake up and read the threads like everyone else does !

:flipoff:

Jerodhelt 09-18-2014 07:06 PM

Onboard camera yeti at the beach video.

Axial Yeti On Board Camera Beach Run - YouTube