Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Big Squid RC Yeti Video & Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

I'm only pointing this out because I'm sure people (like myself) assume all you need is a 3 channel radio and servo to change gears.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
colebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #22

Default Re: Big Squid RC Yeti Video & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter711 View Post
This is correct. Locked in GoFast mode.

Like the DIG upgrade for wraith?
ScorpionRaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:33 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

from selling acouple of rc's lately and only having my wraith and sons lunchbox left I know what will be taking a place on the shelf......another expensive exercise to get one to New Zealand
skidtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:08 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

I'll be getting one of these myself. If I add any weight to the rear it will go into the chassis. That solid rear axle is heavy when compared to an IRS of an SCT and any more weight added there will hurt performance at speed. I don't see this as a crawler but more of a "jack of all trades" kind of RC. The only place it will shine is in a KOH race and I have my doubts about the width helping it very much at all. A built Twin Hammers will hold it's own against this Yeti.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:33 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocaged View Post
A built Twin Hammers will hold it's own against this Yeti.
I dunno, never sell the skin before the bear is shot. I have a TWH, but no Yeti yet, so I have no clue how it would fare.

Keeping it all stock:The TWH is quite compact with his 1.9's, which is a good thing on tight tracks, but those 2.2's on he Yeti? I guess they'll make mince-meat of the gnarlier trails.
My Wraith(s) KILL the TWH on the rocks (ehhh... concrete junk lying around. Not many rocks in The Netherlands )

After tuning the heck out of the TWH and the Wraith: My lowered (brick-heavy)Speed-Demon Wraith with 2s, cheapie LRP 8.5t K4 and Tami Double-Dagger wheels (diffs both open!! not unimportant, and swaybars allaround) runs circles around the TWH on-road ánd off-road, despite it's small size and pretty potent X-12 Vector LRP 10.5 t. (also 2s) bit of a crude comparison, I know, but still..

I just don't know. The Yeti, imho, seems superior on paper, looks superior in the vids, but untill I hold one in my own grubby paws, and bash the bejeebus out of it, it's not a given who's better/faster/stronger.

I'm always rather careful before boasting one truck over the other, especially when "the other" is not available yet(i) :P

Last edited by Jay-Em; 06-25-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Yeah all good points. My LHS has one on order and says late July for delivery. I told them to call me as I have plastic that can buy plastic....

The open diffs are everything when it comes to speed. Locked axles get crazy. We have 2 guys with TH's. So we will soon have our own comparison on the 2 trucks.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

What I liked the first moment I saw the Yeti, was the fact that it included swaybars for the rear. It's one of the more serious gripes I have with the TWH in box-stock. If a manufacturer waves around the "speed" a rig will attain, he'll better make sure it can actually run at some speed without going completely bonkers.

Straight axles and no sways are an absolute no-no on speedier rigs. The Wraith outperforms the TWH speedwise, but also handling-wise due to it's HR sways front &rear. Without them it torque twists só bad, it almost flips itself upside-down lengthwise. Axial apparently tried to alleviate that by flipping the diffs. A cheap trick I am not too fond of, since it interferes when using an "advanced" cheap beercan-motor, because they mostly run CCW.

I thought that a bit of negligence, or false advertizing, even, on Axial's part, marketing the Wraith as a speedy FOFF or KOH rig, but not actually providing for a bit of handling at speed. Vaterra made the exáct same (imho) faux pas with the TWH. Though the Front independent suspension helps a bit in that regard.

Axial, at least, seems to have learned from it. Hence the sways at the back of the Yeti. The first thing I am probably going to bling-out

And there's something oddly mesmerizing about seeing a FOFF or Desert rig's sways doing their thing, especially in slomo. But I am weird like that.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 06-25-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #28
Come and take them!®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter711 View Post
Needs functional weight in the rear. This is what I'm doin' to the rear right out of the gate or box:
1) SuperShafty Exclusive 3.40" MIP drive shaft

Gonna role it, like I stole it!
Vin Diesel Quote: "Feels 1/2 gram shy on the back side"
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...ml#post4817795
Hunter711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

*** Subscribed ***
SilicaStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Big Squid RC Yeti Video & Review - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exclusive Review Axial Yeti ax90026 badger Axial Yeti 558 09-18-2014 07:06 PM
Show-Me Scalers / Big Squid RC Sawback thisdougsforu G-Made Sawback 10 02-21-2014 12:07 PM
RC Soup's Mog Build & Review (with video!) kevin107 Tamiya XC/CC01 8 04-20-2012 12:06 PM
Vanquish Wraith C-Hub & Steering knuckle Video Review & Install FastEddy Axial Wraith 0 10-28-2011 01:04 PM
Axial Wraith Unboxing Video & Review RCSPARKS Videos! 33 06-06-2011 05:38 PM