Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Axial Yeti comparison to Vaterra Twin Hammers discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Default Axial Yeti comparison to Vaterra Twin Hammers discussion

I moved the Yeti vs Twin Hammers discussion that was going on in my Yeti disassembly into it's own thread since it seemed to be a hot topic. Now you can discuss to your hearts content in this thread.

Here's some size comparison shots with a Twin Hammers.

Last edited by badger; 07-22-2014 at 11:19 AM.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Badger's Axial Yeti Rock Racer disassembly thread

With the way those arms are arranged it looks like similar ground clearance as the twin hammers. The THs arms meet the knuckles up high...
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlejon View Post
With the way those arms are arranged it looks like similar ground clearance as the twin hammers. The THs arms meet the knuckles up high...

Yeah looks like the yeti dropped the ball in the clearance department on the front arms, the TH really has much better front control arm packaging.
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #4

Don't get me wrong. This thing looks like fun, but in my opinion it's a step in the wrong direction. We just started to get away from vehicles with unrealistic proportions. Comparing it to the the TH made me realize how crazy the proportions on this thing really are. At least the the TH looks like a real vehicle. Again, just my opinion.
Creech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
Don't get me wrong. This thing looks like fun, but in my opinion it's a step in the wrong direction. We just started to get away from vehicles with unrealistic proportions. Comparing it to the the TH made me realize how crazy the proportions on this thing really are. At least the the TH looks like a real vehicle. Again, just my opinion.
The yeti is scaled about 1:8 and the turd hammer is around 1:12 or 1:14. The tires sticking out of the body is about the same on both, the wheel bases are close to proportionate. They both resemble a 1:1 Ultra 4 buggy. I don't see what the heck you're complaining about.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #6

there is no wrong direction imo. if you want smaller, get a twinhammers. i read on fb somebody call it an axial emaxx... haters gonna hate i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlejon View Post
if your talking about the front shot of them both the perspective of the twinhammers being further back than the yeti is, i think, making them look like they have similar ride heights.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
there is no wrong direction imo. if you want smaller, get a twinhammers. i read on fb somebody call it an axial emaxx... haters gonna hate i guess.

if your talking about the front shot of them both the perspective of the twinhammers being further back than the yeti is, i think, making them look like they have similar ride heights.
Being further back will only affect the size of an object. The Hammers A arm was made high into the knuckle thus the reason no one can make aftermarket axles because they hit the A arm. The Yeti has a more traditional A arm setup if you look you can see the axle on the Yeti but barely see it on the Hammer. Also the Yeti A arms are not flat they dip down then back up.
turboed13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboed13b View Post
Being further back will only affect the size of an object. The Hammers A arm was made high into the knuckle thus the reason no one can make aftermarket axles because they hit the A arm. The Yeti has a more traditional A arm setup if you look you can see the axle on the Yeti but barely see it on the Hammer. Also the Yeti A arms are not flat they dip down then back up.
im not debating the design differences or the height of the a-arm on the knuckles between the two, but there is a more to perspective than just the size of objects in relation to each other.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
im not debating the design differences or the height of the a-arm on the knuckles between the two, but there is a more to perspective than just the size of objects in relation to each other.
I'm not debating anything either I'm just explaining why the TH has as much ground clearance as the Yeti. No need to get defensive.

There is not enough distance between the front of the trucks to make noticeable difference on true height.

If there was then the TH would actually have more ground clearance since it is set back.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I was asking about the ground clearance because that is one of the THs main weakness for the way I drive, and the places I go.
Turtlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #11

Quote:
No need to get defensive.
not defensive just pointing out the angle of the shot and the placement of the rigs isnt an honest comparison of ride height or clearance. thats all...
Old 07-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #12

…just for my own satisfaction i figured id post an el-quicky adjusted pic of the yeti/th for those who think they share the same ride height and clearance.

i dropped the th to the same baseline as the yeti and increased the th's size a little bit to make up for the difference in size since the original shot has the th further back in the shot.

take it fwiw.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
…just for my own satisfaction i figured id post an el-quicky adjusted pic of the yeti/th for those who think they share the same ride height and clearance.

i dropped the th to the same baseline as the yeti and increased the th's size a little bit to make up for the difference in size since the original shot has the th further back in the shot.

take it fwiw.
They look like the same ride height to me. I added a line to your picture to show the difference. This shows the lowest part of the A arm on the Yeti. Now just imagine if they had the same preload on the shocks the Yeti will be way below the line. So if your scaling is correct this proves more that the TH actually has more clearance than the Yeti.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Being able to haul ass and not worry about the rig shattering makes the yeti the winner there. Ground clearance be damned!
Old 07-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Being able to haul ass and not worry about the rig shattering makes the yeti the winner there. Ground clearance be damned!
That's what Traxxas cars are for.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That's what Traxxas cars are for.
Sure but this is made by axial so it won't suck.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
They look like the same ride height to me. I added a line to your picture to show the difference. This shows the lowest part of the A arm on the Yeti. Now just imagine if they had the same preload on the shocks the Yeti will be way below the line. So if your scaling is correct this proves more that the TH actually has more clearance than the Yeti.
dude… cmon. really? they really look the same ride height to you? excuse the blatant call out but maybe with a 10pixel tall line obscuring close to half the twins a-arms you can kinda make that argument. im not trying to be a dick, but damn. its pretty easy for me to see the yeti sits a bit taller. maybe im the only one.

again, im talking specifically about the image badger provided and the original comment that they both looked to have the same ride height. as ive said before im not talking about the height of the a-arms in relation to the knuckles, im talking ride height.

i put my own line in to show what I'M talking about.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

ok ok, lets not get our nuts in a twist. This line drawing has gone too far LOL..
NewboySF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
dude… cmon. really? they really look the same ride height to you? excuse the blatant call out but maybe with a 10pixel tall line obscuring close to half the twins a-arms you can kinda make that argument. im not trying to be a dick, but damn. its pretty easy for me to see the yeti sits a bit taller. maybe im the only one.

again, im talking specifically about the image badger provided and the original comment that they both looked to have the same ride height. as ive said before im not talking about the height of the a-arms in relation to the knuckles, im talking ride height.

i put my own line in to show what I'M talking about.
Please reread my post about preload on the shock if you made both trucks inner and outer hinge pins even with each other the TH would be taller because it has flat A arms. You can make the line as skinny as you want but its not going to change the fact. Check out Badger's picture of when he first had his Hammer look at the ride height difference that's why when comparing you have to have a common point such as even hinge pins.

Last edited by turboed13b; 07-07-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

The easy solution is to come up with some stepped lower arms.

MotoSoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial Yeti comparison to Vaterra Twin Hammers discussion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 Honcho, Wraith, or Vaterra Twin Hammers? theTman Minnesota 16 04-27-2014 09:29 PM
Vaterra Twin hammers greengoblin Vaterra Twin Hammers 2 06-04-2013 09:57 PM