Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: New RTR ,what upgrades should i get 1st

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default New RTR ,what upgrades should i get 1st

I bought a rtr (its not here yet) and I want to get some parts that are needed right away. Should that be beef tubes and hd gears or something else? wallet is only so thick right now. I know there is a lot of options out there but I wanted to get whats needed the most 1st.

Thanks,Geo
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New RTR ,what upgrades should i get 1st

The only part i ever broke was the driveshaft on 3s, i replaced with mip problems solved. Im sure everyone has different opinions
BigBlokBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #3

HD gears if you plan on running 3 cell plus an upgraded locker in the rear. Otherwise STRC or HR steering rack setup, aluminum steering posts, and turnbuckles/camber links to take the slop out of the steering. Then just tweak the suspension to your liking and tune or lock the front diff depending on use.
Brute71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:46 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

here's one :

RTR stock tires | beads poping out

glue the tires on the rims !

LV
le varan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:50 AM   #5

Mines only a few weeks old and it still had the old hubs, I broke a hub the first time I tried 3s.If there isn't an aluminum hex behind the hub then you'll want to get one.

Axial Racing - Service Announcement

When you get the truck just pull the wheel off and look to see if there's an aluminum hex holding the pin, if the pins held in place by the plastic hub then call Axial to get your upgrade on the way.
cycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:17 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

From what I have read. Buy the upgraded hinge pins. I have never had a problem with mine, but have read other people bending them.
First I replaced the servo. The tactic servo is junk IMO. And the tie rod for the servo is junk, I have pulled the threads out of mine. But have a gpm one on the way.
Baggednissan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:58 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Its all matter of opinion. I was running bone stock RTR with a MM2/1515y shoehorned in on 4s and the only thing that showed as a issues was a leaking rear shock and trailing arms bending. Shock rebuild and link plates no more issues. I killed be MM2 and still have 1st gen hubs and nonmodded stock wheels (no scuff or glue).
MonsterPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #8

If jumping at ALL upgrade to aluminum carriers and spindles. The steering links need replacing at your convenience. Hinge pins will bend very easy. And the hub upgrade from axial if yours doesn't have it yet. Glue the tires if running 3s(I used blue loctite). Also gear down a tooth of 2 on 3s or you will cook the ESC eventually. My diff gears are fine.
Gixxer1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I think the hinge pin idea is a total must. As this is the same front end as the Exo, many of us who have had both can tell you that the hinge pins are way under engineered. I am not sure if it is the other plastic capture plates etc that case the issue, but bottom line, is that if you think you are ok, pull the pins and check them. Most likely they are bent. A guy named Yikes used to make some really cool pins, that mixed with RPM arms and a set of capture plates by DaveC would make the Exo a durable rig. DaveC, and Yikes are gone, but if you check out what they were doing on RCShortcourse.com, you can get an idea for how they were bullet proofing the rigs.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote

New RTR ,what upgrades should i get 1st - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st Rock Crawler a MaxStone8, questions on Brushless an other upgrades??? RyanRC Newbie General 5 04-13-2015 09:48 PM
AX 10 rtr upgrades AXE 10 Newbie General 2 01-02-2009 07:04 PM