Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Got my Yeti today, not impressed so far...

Well my Yeti arrived today. Out of the box it was missing one of the lower spring cups on one of the rear shocks. Check everywhere inside of the box, no luck. Had spares though luckily from having other Axial products.

Neighbor came over to check it out, and he ran my brushed Stampede 4x4 with me around the front yard. I almost ran a full battery pack through it. Lost front drive due to a set screw falling out. Fixed that, then the spur stripped. Motor mount has a ton of flex to it. Tightened the mesh since you can't remove the spur gear without removing more than just the gear cover. Ran another 2 minutes before a rear hub adapter broke. Meanwhile, the 2 month old Pede 4x4 keeps on trucking, never having a single tool touching it. Top speed of the Yeti was just slightly higher than the brushed Pede 4x4.

Loved my Wraith kit that I had. I beat the snot out of it for a long time without any issues. Same with a few SCX10's I have had over the years. But yet this thing won't last a battery pack without needing work.

*** TO CLARIFY, THIS IS MARKETED AS A RTR TRUCK, WHICH MEANS ONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO PULL IT OUT OF THE BOX, PUT BATTERIES IN IT, AND RUN THE THING MORE THAN 1/2 OF A 2S LIPO BATTERY WITHOUT HAVING SEVERAL OUT OF THE BOX ISSUES. I AM NOT SAYING THIS TRUCK IS A POS. I AM NOT SAYING AXIAL SUCKS. I AM MERELY POINTING OUT THE ISSUES I PERSONALLY HAD WITH THE TRUCK OUT OF THE BOX, THE SAME ISSUES THAT WOULD PISS OFF ANYONE NEW TO THE HOBBY WHO PURCHASED THE TRUCK ***

Last edited by rm25x; 08-31-2014 at 06:59 AM.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

Default Re: Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far...

Well, had you done some reading, both on here and in the manual, it is suggested to double check all the screws before it's maiden voyage. It's been specifically mentioned in a few build threads that the drive screw will back out and needs to be lock tighted.

The plastic hubs have been a known issue since the PS Wriath, and although Axial claims to have beefed it up, it is still a plastic hub. Behind that, making sure the wheel nuts are tight before running will also help ensure that they last longer.

And this is a brand new brushless vehicle claiming 32 mph out of the box on 3s. I don't know of any box stock RTR wraith or SCX that boasts that. So you aren't'y exactly comparing apples to apples.

And even the BRUSHED Stampede. That thing has bee around forever so I'm sure when it was fresh on the market, it had it's fair share of problems. But do us a favor and slap the Yeti motor and esc into that Stampede and tell me how long it lasts.

Just be happy you got your Yeti. Most people still don't have theirs so quit your whining.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

Get rid of it man!
Who needs the hassle... pm me details.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Sorry if I expect to be able to drive a new $430 truck around the yard without it falling apart. Why even offer it rtr then. I wasn't running it 32mph on 3s lipo. I was running an old 25c 2S lipo in it. I ran brushless in my Wrath no problem for a long time.

When (if) you get one maybe you will have better luck as I am sure you have spent countless hours reading every little thing you could find about the truck and you will probably tear the whole thing down and rebuild it before you even put a battery in it. Sorry but not everyone has time to do that.

All I am saying is that I have had several Axial products over the years from the AX10 to the SCX10 and Wraith. All were quality products. This thing just feels cheap. You can push on the endbell of the motor and it moves over 1/2 of an inch due to the plastic flexing. How did they find that to be acceptable?

Maybe I will put the motor and esc in my Pede, and sell off the Yeti as you suggested.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Just another reason it would've been good if one of those first few people that got it would've done a review on the stock truck and its longevity, rather than trying to throw all new Vanquish and other parts at it.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
Sorry if I expect to be able to drive a new $430 truck around the yard without it falling apart. Why even offer it rtr then. I wasn't running it 32mph on 3s lipo. I was running an old 25c 2S lipo in it. I ran brushless in my Wrath no problem for a long time.

When (if) you get one maybe you will have better luck as I am sure you have spent countless hours reading every little thing you could find about the truck and you will probably tear the whole thing down and rebuild it before you even put a battery in it. Sorry but not everyone has time to do that.

All I am saying is that I have had several Axial products over the years from the AX10 to the SCX10 and Wraith. All were quality products. This thing just feels cheap. You can push on the endbell of the motor and it moves over 1/2 of an inch due to the plastic flexing. How did they find that to be acceptable?

Maybe I will put the motor and esc in my Pede, and sell off the Yeti as you suggested.
Tightening the screws is in the manual, in fact it's on page 6. The page is even titled "Getting started checklist" And I do spend time reading because I make educated purchases. I also just don't bad mouth a product simply because I failed to do my due diligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Just another reason it would've been good if one of those first few people that got it would've done a review on the stock truck and its longevity, rather than trying to throw all new Vanquish and other parts at it.
Actually, CarterFab ran it stock and was upgrading as issues arises. In fact, besides the CarterFab and Harley's thread, most of the ones I've seen are stock minis the upgrade to SLW hubs, which if the OP read as much he typed, would realize that is the first upgrade most of the people have done

I roll my eyes at people who fail to do their own due diligence and cry about it.

Last edited by TSK; 08-29-2014 at 10:06 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

There's always one. Oh we'll the rest of us will enjoy the due diligence Axial put into making it.

Sell it and wait for the kit to come out or you could just buy a Twin Hammers.....
VTHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm25x View Post

Honestly you have every right to feel that way. If my yeti didn't last a pack it would probably be on craigslist. Surprised how quick people are to defend the new truck when in reality your feedback is probably some of the most realistic. Unpaid and unbiased and not a "press release" and what axial yeti buyers may actually experience upon pulling it out of the box. Seriously considering canceling my back order, and i thank you for putting your neck out there and sharing your experience.

In fairness obviously this is not a truck that is going to shine on asphalt, it's a rock racer. Totally different style of vehicle than a stampede.

And as far as it being your fault or not, I would ASSUME that most people buying this truck will be running it out of the box without going over the whole vehicle. Considering most of the people don't even read the manual, despite what the fine print reads, it's not always reality for 80% of people..... Just saying lets be real here

Last edited by SoCal Crawlr; 08-29-2014 at 10:35 PM.
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I'll buy it as a roller....
Just sayin'....
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Ya I kind of agree. You buy a rtr rig and you kind of expect it to last a while stock. The SCX is great out of the box. I also agree it is funny how many people defend it. Doesn't exactly make sense if you buy a rig then have to go to some website on the Internet just to get details on how to make a Rtr crawler not stop working immediately.

Now that being said.... I'll send green your way if you send that this way lol.
cykb4117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #11
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Crawlr View Post
Considering most of the people don't even read the manual, despite what the fine print reads, it's not always reality for 80% of people..... Just saying lets be real here
It may not be what the cool kids do, but I read the manuals. It saves me from asking stupid questions and/or looking like a fool later on because I didn't.

It doesn't matter who makes the rig, they all say to double check the fasteners before running it. I'm pretty sure they also say to add thread lock on metal to metal fasteners if there is not some already there.

As far as the plastic hubs go...I can't say that was terribly smart thinking on Axials part, but we all know that they are there and that they won't last. You can either be the person whining about it or the person preemptively buying aluminum replacements.

I'm patiently standing by with loctite and VP hubs on hand...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

What's even more funny is the people jumping off the band wagon. Everyone's been screaming for something new from Axial and now here it is and your gonna let one person change the tide. RTR doesn't mean indestructible. It's just like when a new model vehicle comes out you expect bugs. Let's all help each other work through the kinks and enjoy the long awaited Yeti. Just saying........

Oh and no ones paying me to say any of this, just trying to enjoy the excitement.
VTHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #13
Scale Detail Engineering

I'm just waiting for one to show up in the classifieds!
Post it up man!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

This is why I decided to buy the bmrc ifs, and goodies, and over 6 months ago asked lue if he would build me a ifs wraithzilla chassis, which he said not now I'm busy. ... so I asked again 2 months ago and he said yes..... its being built as we speak; )
So I will wait for the kit version of the yeti to hit, wait until everyone buys the pre order, wait until I read more, and then when tower has their crazy Christmas cyber Monday super awesome cheap sale!!!!! Yoink got it!
But yes thanks for your honest experience and keep it coming, I don't want to be sold, I want facts.
And I will have 2 ifs rigs, just waiting for mattzilla to finnish his magic, and axial to release a yeti kit!
savagebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:33 PM   #15

Makes me question purchasing one right away... maybe they'll make a few revisions after it hits the shelves/trails and work all the bugs out.
Maybe a price-break at that time, too... doubtful, dreamy, unprecedented, but... maybe. ;)
Apmcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

sad to hear about this...

then again, i am one of those with SLW Hubs (and a bottle of thread lock) on hand for when the Yeti arrives.
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:21 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Well..at the very least...I know what I need to buy when I order my Yeti. Kind of a sad truth really, but it is what it is. Does kinda make you won't why Axial didn't use metal hubs though. I get that it has to do with costs but it would've saved some negative attention at least.

Still though..the Yeti will likely be my next rc.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:29 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextan22 View Post
sad to hear about this...

then again, i am one of those with SLW Hubs (and a bottle of thread lock) on hand for when the Yeti arrives.

But you shouldn't have to buy those parts for an advertised RTR Truck.
Dready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:01 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

You know, I was considering either a Yeti or a Stampede 4x4 VXL.

After doing some research on the stampede I was told to avoid breaking drive shafts and one or two other items with a stock vehicle I would need to order some parts. I did a price check and determined I would be spending roughly (and easily) another 50-100 dollars which IMO after paying $450+ is stupid. So while trying to make the decision on a Monster Truck in walks the Yeti.

Ultimately I decided on the Yeti because I wanted to race around on everything, plus I liked the fact that it could crawl, scale looks and rock race (with an option to go to a comp). I didn't like that the Yeti was brand new for precisely the hub issues. Ultimately though that isn't enough to make me cancel the preorder.

I think ultimately the RC Consumer is to blame for RC manufacturers putting cheap components in their cars. Just about everyone who gets an RC wants to "improve" it or customize it some way. To me that fact just opens the door for companies to as the case of Axial, put a cheap plastic hex in a spot where an aluminium would stand up to this vehicles driving characteristics better.

So ultimately am I annoyed they did this, yes. Am I surprised, nope (touring cars do it to).

What really bugs me is a lot of Online RC Shops put the list price at around $700 then of course sell it at $429.99. I mean seriously, that happens a lot in the RC world of kits and RTR. I get it, for those that don't do research it helps impulse buyers think they are getting a better deal. Bah! Ah well, rant over.
Aebous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:31 AM   #20

I've had my yeti for about two days now. Didn't tighten anything, didn't read the manual, just stuck the battery in (3s) and started bashing. Smashed it and flipped it, including a head on collision into my truck tire. Nothing broken yet. This is the first RTR kit I've ever bought, I typically build and piece my stuff together, with mainly steel and aluminum parts. I was shocked at how much plastic is on thing. But it's rtr, what do you expect. I'm going to have to drop at least another $600 in this thing to get it the way I want it.
That said, I think its overpiced for what it is. I think they should sell it for $129 less.
.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
water yeti.. calling all yeti owners going2fast Axial Yeti 11 11-02-2014 05:43 PM
Wait for a Yeti or get a Slash 4x4 Ultimate today? BIGNASTY Chit Chat 19 08-30-2014 10:54 PM
Yeti captured today im gunna crawl Axial Yeti 4 08-28-2014 08:58 PM
I drove a Yeti today. Dirt51 Axial Yeti 1 07-12-2014 08:15 PM