Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti - VP hubs with VP KMC 795 wheels -Help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #1

Default Yeti - VP hubs with VP KMC 795 wheels -Help?

Hi,
Firstly, sorry if this would be better asked in another forum. Im new to land based rc vehicles (I fly scale heli's), and recently bought a yeti, so this seemed the best place to ask for some help.

Like a lot of others, I got about 10 mins of use before 1 of the stock wheel hub adaptors broke. Im in the UK, and it takes about as long to acquire stock parts as it would be to buy hop-ups, so I did a bit of digging on this site, and saw it was advisable to get some VP hubs. (thanks for everyones input here - its helped in my searches)

I bought the 725 and 225 hubs, and also some VP KMC 795 wheels (these 1's - KMC XD-795 Black 2.2 Wheels - Vanquish Products).

Im just trying to install them, and Ive hit a bit of a hurdle. The wheels have a hub cap thats not removable, so I assume the hub gets attached onto the axle first, then the wheel is attached.

My problem is that once the 225 hubs are in place on the front axle, and the nut tightened, there is not enough clearance inside the recessed space of the hub cover on the wheel, to allow the wheel to sit flush to the hub. The axle tip touches the inside of the cover face, and it leaves about 1-2mm gap between the hub and wheel.

Im figuring I must have to use a different sized hub on front?
Using the recommended hubs, if I'm reading right, it should be 12.5" front, and 13" rear. If I have to widen the front, then the back probably has to be done also?

If anyones managed to make it through my lengthy first post, has an idea of what Im warbling about, and doesn't mind sparing a few minutes to help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Apologies for the length, and if this info is elsewhere. I did try looking first.
Cthulu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Yeti - VP hubs with VP KMC 795 wheels -Help?

I have not used those wheels, but a few things came to mind reading your issue. First would be just to get wider spacer for the front. You don't have to widen the back. With that being said if you wanted to keep the stock width, trimming the end off the axle shaft down to clear the inside of the wheel would work also. With the hub tightened down dremmel the end down some. But that's a permanent change.
blknslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blknslvr View Post
I have not used those wheels, but a few things came to mind reading your issue. First would be just to get wider spacer for the front. You don't have to widen the back. With that being said if you wanted to keep the stock width, trimming the end off the axle shaft down to clear the inside of the wheel would work also. With the hub tightened down dremmel the end down some. But that's a permanent change.
Thanks for replying bud.

Being new to it, I was figuring that, if I cant keep the stock width, Id at least be best to widen the back to keep the stock width difference.

I might consider the dremel option, as looks like I have to order anything Im after from the US, which takes at least a week at best.

Again, thanks. It at least confirms Im thinking along the right tracks.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Hello mate,

I'm also in the UK so i know what a pain it is to get replacements, I too destroyed both rear hubs :/

As for your issue, I think I recall Harley saying that to use those wheels with the Vanquish hubs you need at least 350 or 450 (I can't remember which he said now).

I was considering the wheels you got too, but after reading that I went with the Methods instead.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

.225" is close stock width front only with the stock wheels, it's another story with another kind of wheels much more a KMC 795. I use KMC Enduros with .225" up front and i'm at about 12.5" front and 12" rear with .600".
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombi View Post
Hello mate,

I'm also in the UK so i know what a pain it is to get replacements, I too destroyed both rear hubs :/

As for your issue, I think I recall Harley saying that to use those wheels with the Vanquish hubs you need at least 350 or 450 (I can't remember which he said now).

I was considering the wheels you got too, but after reading that I went with the Methods instead.
Thanks mate, wish Id seen that before buying them.

I think it seems quite common that folk are wrecking the rear hubs really quickly. I sent Axial an email when it happened a week or 2 ago, and I've still never heard anything back.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextan22 View Post
.225" is close stock width front only with the stock wheels, it's another story with another kind of wheels much more a KMC 795. I use KMC Enduros with .225" up front and i'm at about 12.5" front and 12" rear with .600".
Thanks for the input dextan. Think, as Im new to it, I want to keep the rough same set up if possible. Wider at back than front. I assume widening the stance makes the vehicle more stable, but beyond that, im unsure why you'd want a wider back than front, or vice versa, but Im sure I'll pick it up along the way.

Have to wait for parts to be delivered before getting it running again. Suppose theres always that dremel option....!

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Exclamation Re: Yeti - VP hubs with VP KMC 795 wheels -Help?

Quote:
KMC with .225" up front and i'm at about 12.5" front and 12" rear with .600".
I too have the same KMC 795 wheels waiting to be installed.

So are you going with 225/600 F/R ?

I am looking to go as close to stock width with this combo too

Looking forward to you parts arriving / install
SilicaStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Cthulu, you could do the dremel option and cut the thread so that your 795s can fit. When you feel that you need more width ot whatever, its easier to replace as you'll be upgrading to universals in the future anyways, or when you think you need the whole length of the thread. Like you i am from SEAsia and getting parts from the US takes time. I know Exactly how you feel.

Silicastorm, you might have problems with the 795s and .225" hubs, check out Cthulu's experience with his. Try .330 or .475 instead?
dextan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Dextan,

Ok better fit with 795s is 475/600 ?

Ok thanks
SilicaStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilicaStorm View Post
I too have the same KMC 795 wheels waiting to be installed.

So are you going with 225/600 F/R ?

I am looking to go as close to stock width with this combo too

Looking forward to you parts arriving / install
Hi mate, its the front Im having issues with. I got a set of .225's for front and .725's for rear. that should make it close to stock at around 12.5" front, 13" back (I think!). The issue is with the .225's at the front. The axle touches the inside of the KMC 795 wheels hub cover, so the wheel and hub cant sit flush. Im going to have to got with the .350's or .475's at the front if I want to clear the axle. Or I can dremel it down like Dextan covered.

Basically, I think your (and my) options are -

you need bigger front hubs
be willing to dremel the axle
or
buy some different wheels

I think thats our only options, but Im real new to all this, so dont take my word for it!
Old 10-06-2014, 07:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextan22 View Post
Cthulu, you could do the dremel option and cut the thread so that your 795s can fit. When you feel that you need more width ot whatever, its easier to replace as you'll be upgrading to universals in the future anyways, or when you think you need the whole length of the thread. Like you i am from SEAsia and getting parts from the US takes time. I know Exactly how you feel.

Silicastorm, you might have problems with the 795s and .225" hubs, check out Cthulu's experience with his. Try .330 or .475 instead?
Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking, as I do plan on getting the universals eventually. Obviously when I buy them, I could get the correct sized hubs at the same time so I dont have to dremel them as well!

Im thinking it might be safest to go with the 475's, as the current gap using the 225's may be slightly over 1/8th of an inch, so wouldn't want to buy the 350's and end up still being every so slightly out.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Tags
fit, hub, wheel, won't, yeti