Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: question on diff gears and rear axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default question on diff gears and rear axle

I don't have a yeti yet but I'm reading as much as possible as I'm new to crawler world. One of my questions is what are the benefits of over and under drive gears. In the vendor section I saw something called beef tubes is there a benefit for these. Last question I see lots of people running 500k diff oil I haven't been able to find it and I was wondering what brand you use and were from.

thanks jeff
ribaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: question on diff gears and rear axle

Over-Unders will help you turn quicker/easier with the front dif lock. Also it will help when climbing as the fronts spin faster and wont flip back nearly as easy. Beef tubes are to add weight down low. I really don't see this necessary in the YETI, but may be wrong. I'm sure it would be good in some cases. I use them in my wraith not only for the lower center of gravity, but my VP housing stripped where the chubs and lockouts go so it gave some extra thread for a bite. Lots of guys use them on the plastic axles when they strip as well. 500k oil is made by many manufaturers. I have a bottle of traxxas dif oil here......says the part number is 5039. I'm positive there are better brands that will be better but it worked good in my slash 4x4.
lawhorn_derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'm running under drive gears front and rear along with 12/64 pinion spur combination to make it "crawl" a little better. I'm also running traxxas 500k lube in the front diff with a kind of limited slip effect, I found some ofna diff lock lube too but haven't seen the need for it yet. If you're gonna jump the yeti much I'd say beef tubes are a minimum, I broke my axle where the right trailing arm mounting bolts come through the axle by landing wrong, now I have a GCM axle housing with the big pinion bearings coming which will hopefully end the rear end breakage. Good luck.
npcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcaldwell View Post
If you're gonna jump the yeti much I'd say beef tubes are a minimum, I broke my axle where the right trailing arm mounting bolts come through the axle by landing wrong
Or get the DLUX rear axle brace, super light, super strong, and allows for adjustable upper link holes. No issues jumping mine with a plastic case and the DLUX brace.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I used Fastrax 500k on the diff up front, HD underdrive in the back and HD stock up front (for a bit more pull). And then marine grease on the ring gears and pinions in the housings front & back.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Or get the DLUX rear axle brace, super light, super strong, and allows for adjustable upper link holes. No issues jumping mine with a plastic case and the DLUX brace.
I saw these and liked the looks of them so I think when I get my yeti these will be on my list of upgrades. Like my baja 5t days I like supporting small guys that support the forum
Old 10-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcaldwell View Post
I'm running under drive gears front and rear along with 12/64 pinion spur combination to make it "crawl" a little better. I'm also running traxxas 500k lube in the front diff with a kind of limited slip effect, I found some ofna diff lock lube too but haven't seen the need for it yet. If you're gonna jump the yeti much I'd say beef tubes are a minimum, I broke my axle where the right trailing arm mounting bolts come through the axle by landing wrong, now I have a GCM axle housing with the big pinion bearings coming which will hopefully end the rear end breakage. Good luck.
Thanks I'll have to give the traxxas 500k a try.l found the ofna diff lock lube today on one of the vendor sites I think I may get some to try also

question on diff gears and rear axle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GPM rear diff gears vinnyphx Tamiya XC/CC01 1 07-01-2014 07:09 AM
Spider gears in rear diff (aka losing the rear locker) Sethmetal Vaterra Twin Hammers 2 02-26-2013 11:57 PM
Quick Help Question RE: Diff gears/cover Boostmeister Axial Wraith 5 06-18-2012 01:15 AM
Rear Diff For Axle Mike_L Tamiya TLT Crawlers 2 12-09-2006 10:07 PM