Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Wraith vs Yeti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2014, 02:53 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Wraith vs Yeti

Hi all,

After buying my son a budget RC short course truck I must sadly confess that the virus has gotten a hold on me too…

I guess you guys know all about that.

Now, besides searching for upgrades and replacements for the budget car, daddy has a hidden agenda.

Bottom line: Wraith or Yeti?

Initially I was drawn to the Wraith for it’s potential to turn/mod/morph into anything from crawler to U4 and worse. Now I have driven a near stock Wraith for 20min. I know I want more speed. Crawling and bouncing on boulders is fun but not for the most part of my time. More speed for the Wraith means (eventually massive) upgrades. Swapping ESC, motor, drivetrain and –line to get it on par with the Yeti.

Is my assumption correct that the ‘Yeti-out-of-the-box’ has taken a few steps op that ladder? Motor and drivetrain are beefed up compared to the Wraith.

After (partly) locking the front diff, replacing lower links and front hinchpins I guess it crawl capable enough. (going sensored is next step)

Only downfall; Yeti does not come as kit version. But then again, judging from what I’ve read here, it makes sense to tear it down en rebuild before use anyway.

So my real question is: can a Wraith without drivetrain upgrades be as bash-capable as the Yeti? Or am I likely to crunch the insides when a Yeti style motor and ESC are installed?

Ps.: Yep, I did some reading/searching, didn’t find a back-to-back comparison of the two in this aspect. If it’s there; sorry and show me, please

Thnx
Wouter
wouterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2014, 04:33 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Wraith vs Yeti

First off about the Yeti kit; I know RPP and I'm sure others on ebay as well sell a roller if you wanted to go that route.

If speed is what your after, the yeti no question. The stock Motor/EC will likely tide you over so you don't need to upgrade immediately. You wont get that with a wraith. The yeti is also very versatile. Some people make it crawl, climb , jump , ect. ect. Thats just my opinion.
As for upgrades both need work out of the box. Tighten up the steering like basically all axial RTRs and then just upgrade or change what you want to improve. Or just wait and upgrade what breaks.

I forgot to add that I don't think the wraith drivetrain could handle The power the yeti has without modding

Last edited by antd91; 10-29-2014 at 04:36 AM.
antd91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #3

It would be interesting to see a back to back comparison of a wraith and a yeti going over the same terrain. I have a highly modified wraith and yeti. I Use them for different terrain.
I know that due to the yeti's IFS it handles a lot better at speed, the wraith crawls better. Don't expect the yeti to work well as a crawler without modifying. The wraith didn't break as much
out of the box, the Yeti had little issues that needed to be addressed before and after its first run. Bashing and speed, I'd go with the Yeti. Crawling, with a bit of rock racing, Wraith.
.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have a brushless SCX10 with the Tekin ROC 412 3100 that has Wraith axles & wheels....so it kind of similar. It scoots pretty good for a crawler but my Yeti is way faster. If you buy a Yeti you will probably have to spend about $250 extra to get it to place where you could use it all the time without breaking it. If that's not a deal breaker then the Yeti is your best bet. Not only does speed kill, it breaks parts too. The Yeti is not equipped to be used reliably the way it comes but once you do a few things its fun and can do most anything. I have not swapped out the motor and speedo yet because I like the fact that you can get it wet.
QDRHRSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:09 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I have a brushless SCX10 with the Tekin ROC 412 3100 that has Wraith axles & wheels....so it kind of similar. It scoots pretty good for a crawler but my Yeti is way faster. If you buy a Yeti you will probably have to spend about $250 extra to get it to place where you could use it all the time without breaking it. If that's not a deal breaker then the Yeti is your best bet. Not only does speed kill, it breaks parts too. The Yeti is not equipped to be used reliably the way it comes but once you do a few things its fun and can do most anything. I have not swapped out the motor and speedo yet because I like the fact that you can get it wet.
Ofcourse you can drive anything to pieces. Not looking for bullitproof (just yet....)
My friend here want's a Yeti. I want to keep up, at least in rough terrain. And I like the solid front axle of the Wraith (looks and capabilities).
So will a brushless powerplant do the trick or am I heading towards +200€ on upgraded tranny and shafts? (Wraith kit has metal links)
Old 10-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I haven't run the ROC 412 on 3s yet. My truck is geared pretty low, it can wheelie, and its pretty fast. Geared up a tad and 3s it would be stupid fast. I'm not sure if the tranny would handle it. So far mine is ok. It will never handle like a Yeti but a Yeti will never crawl like an SCX10.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I just want to put it out there that I have been running a wraith with a rock 412 on 3s with the stock drivetrain and plastic spur gear at the u4rc races for that past 6 months or so without problems. So I lt really comes down to driving style. The stock stuff is pretty durable as long as you don't get in a bind and mash the throttle to get out. And don't get it wrong I am the series champ so I push the wraith hard.

But on a side not the yeti is fast and durable to and by design (ifs) it can take terrain better and not crawl as well.
iacdmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:35 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

You're not far from me. Other than Glen Helen, where can we race u4 locally? How modified is your Wraith? My yeti is getting better but Its come apart several times. I've yet to run more than 1 lipo without having to fix something.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacdmac View Post
I just want to put it out there that I have been running a wraith with a rock 412 on 3s with the stock drivetrain and plastic spur gear at the u4rc races for that past 6 months or so without problems. So I lt really comes down to driving style. The stock stuff is pretty durable as long as you don't get in a bind and mash the throttle to get out. And don't get it wrong I am the series champ so I push the wraith hard.

But on a side not the yeti is fast and durable to and by design (ifs) it can take terrain better and not crawl as well.
The Roc 412 is 540 type motor, right? Does it have roughly the same power as the stock Yeti motor? I can't find the specs on that one.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I am running the Castle MMP and a rock 412 in my Wraith it has great wheel speed and Awesome low speed crawling abilities. My Yeti was crazy fast with the stock setup. How ever crawling was not what I wanted due to the diff in the front. I have changed to the Tekin RX8 and the HD Pro 3000 kv added 500000 diff oil and crawls better, don't compare to the wraith. Both are great cars just pretty specific to either go fast or crawling. My Wraith is the most fun I have ever had on 4 wheels. The Yeti is so far running a close second.
luckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:13 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It would be interesting to see a back to back comparison of a wraith and a yeti going over the same terrain
I just did some running 2 days ago with a friend. I had my Yeti, which has a few steering mods and front end mods (double sheer, rack and knuckles). Otherwise, stock power and drive train. My buddy was running his brand new, arrived that morning stock Poison spider Wraith. We both had a blast, and we both were able to handle the terrain (walking up a 4x4/tractor trail in super wet leaves).

The Wraith handled some steeper inclines on the side of the trail, and climbing (not quite rock crawling on this hike) better than the yeti for sure. Steady and solid up some spots that took a jolt of throttle for the yeti to maneuver - and even then there were times that I had to turn back.

I definitely noticed that so far the Yeti deals with more difficult terrain with bursts of throttle, and then it can scoot through/up/around. The Wraith seemed to be able to slowly and methodically get where it wanted to go. I think for trail stuff - the Wraith seemed a bit more fun. But then again, with the Yeti, it's nice to rip up ahead a bit too . On a more open style track with obstacles is where I think the Yeti will shine.

Just my experience...
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:34 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Great write up motopreserve. In your opinion you can still have a blast with both rigs riding together? (Without the Wraith waiting on top a pile for the Yeti to struggle op or the Wraith seeing a Yetis back axle in the very distance.)
Old 11-01-2014, 05:23 AM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The yeti doesn't have the clearance to crawl well. But it handles speed like a champ comparatively. Just offroad, both do well. The yeti excels in speedy open sections, the wraith in technical climbs. I normally bring both whenever I go out.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I have both a Wraith and Yeti. The Yeti reminds me of my Traxxas Mini Summit. The suspension is mushy and lazy but that makes is very capable on the fast and ruff stuff. But falls short on the slow and precise stuff. Both are fun.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouterb View Post
Great write up motopreserve. In your opinion you can still have a blast with both rigs riding together? (Without the Wraith waiting on top a pile for the Yeti to struggle op or the Wraith seeing a Yetis back axle in the very distance.)
I definitely think it should always be fun with both. If you were lucky enough to OWN both, even better they are certainly 2 different beasts.

I'm not looking to sprint up a hill after the Yeti, so for that type of terrain I was on the other day, I would probably prefer the Wraith. But I still had a ball, and would prefer it on the trails we plan to carve out of the pine grove, which is more flat and technical (for me at least - I'll be doing my best to avoid tree crashes!).
Old 11-02-2014, 02:30 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
I definitely think it should always be fun with both. If you were lucky enough to OWN both, even better they are certainly 2 different beasts.

I'm not looking to sprint up a hill after the Yeti, so for that type of terrain I was on the other day, I would probably prefer the Wraith. But I still had a ball, and would prefer it on the trails we plan to carve out of the pine grove, which is more flat and technical (for me at least - I'll be doing my best to avoid tree crashes!).
My friend wants a Yeti. Im leaning towards the Wraith. But of we can hardly trail together (we have ver diverse terrain around here) I might switch to a Yeti also. and improve crawlability over time.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:34 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

---

Last edited by wouterb; 11-02-2014 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Dubble post
Old 11-02-2014, 02:38 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouterb View Post
My friend wants a Yeti. Im leaning towards the Wraith. But of we can hardly trail together (we have ver diverse terrain around here) I might switch to a Yeti also. and improve crawlability over time.

My goal in the near future will be to get it comfortable in those same hills as the wraith was. Always going to be different, but it will be closer.

I still think either choice is capable. Just different....
Old 11-02-2014, 02:45 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

i'll stick with the Wraith kit and add a (sensored) brushless set, metal shafts and an alu transfercase. From there it will be break/replace upgrading.
Thnx for the input.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:15 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Seems to me you will be extremely happy. Like I said, you'll fefinitely be able to trail together unless your friend is jesse Owens and likes sprinting far ahead of you

Wraith vs Yeti - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which is a better basher Wraith or Yeti ribaja Newbie General 23 11-17-2014 08:48 AM
Yeti XL or a Wraith XL????? twissted Axial Yeti XL 17 11-02-2014 02:23 PM
Yeti sway bars on Wraith? Paul97 Axial Wraith 3 09-14-2014 12:54 PM
Question for those with Yeti and Wraith A8ball Axial Yeti 3 09-03-2014 07:34 AM