Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Ant's Yeti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Ant's Yeti

Mounted up! Had some RPM ends laying around to use

Also threw on a vanquish 1"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
antd91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

I'm liking the SLW wheels on my yeti. Looks like the methods are going to the wraith perminately. Not a fan of how wide it needs to be to work. I had to put 600 hubs up front to clear everything so the front currently sits slightly wider than the rear

Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

I didn't like how the hubs were visible from the front, and the face of these wheels are so open they needed rotors.

BEFORE

AFTER

Snatched up some knuckles finally also, Unfortunately they are way to tight on the strc hubs, gonna have to bust out the dremel
Old 03-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #24
Jus
I wanna be Dave

What's this about STRC carriers and VP knuckles not fitting together?

I've got those very parts coming in the mail as we speak.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
What's this about STRC carriers and VP knuckles not fitting together?

I've got those very parts coming in the mail as we speak.
I had to dremel mine as well. They fit so tight that they wouldn't turn. Little sanding to the mounts on the carriers and they slipped right in.
d1ehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

I have to do a little more work on mine. I got them so they were just useable hoping they would wear into themselves. But I took it out for a spin and as soon they get some cold air on them they get locked up

Old 03-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #27
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Definitely tight! Got mine fit together yesterday. I'm also pissed about my 1" SLWs hitting steering arms with .350 hubs. I see you've got 600 hubs... I realllly don't want to go that wide.. Did you try .475" hubs?
Old 03-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Definitely tight! Got mine fit together yesterday. I'm also pissed about my 1" SLWs hitting steering arms with .350 hubs. I see you've got 600 hubs... I realllly don't want to go that wide.. Did you try .475" hubs?

That is why I got the brake rotors. I didn't want it so wide in front but with the 475 It cleared fine but If applied a bit of pressure would touch.
I now have the 475 in front with the rotors and it was just enough. Others have said they ran 475 alone just fine but I like the addition of the rotors just to be sure and they look great.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #29
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Good info thanks! I'd be tempted to let the sucker self clearance, but that's a lot of expensive aluminum right there

You're using stock Axial hexes I assume? I'm about to order hubs and hell I'll try the rotors too, but want to make sure it'll work like it did for you.

.725" hubs out back?

Last edited by Jus; 03-12-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Definitely tight! Got mine fit together yesterday.
Did you take some off of all the surfaces, on both parts? I just don't want to screw these things up. Thanks for your guidance!
malmeteso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Good info thanks! I'd be tempted to let the sucker self clearance, but that's a lot of expensive aluminum right there

You're using stock Axial hexes I assume? I'm about to order hubs and hell I'll try the rotors too, but want to make sure it'll work like it did for you.

.725" hubs out back?
I am using Vanquish clamping hexes and yes stock width 725 SLW hubs in the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmeteso View Post
Did you take some off of all the surfaces, on both parts? I just don't want to screw these things up. Thanks for your guidance!
On the STRC carrier i started by taking off a tiny amount on each surface, then if you look closely when sliding the knuckle back on you can see the spots where it is locking up. I just slowly took it on and off paying close attention where to sand next. Just do it slow, dont get annoyed and go crazy with the dremel. I took my time and mine fit like they were made to go together.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #32
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Pretty much what I did. I found that the attachment points on the STRC carriers were tapered and the VP knuckles only started to bind on the last push to line up the holes. Kind of meh on the fit and finish of the STRC parts in general. Too bad VP doesn't make carriers.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:17 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

If VP or DLUX/UCFAB made carriers, I'd throw money at them so fast, they wouldn't know what hit em.
hobbez84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

Snow Finally Melted so I rushed a video even though you can barely see by the end. The footage is pretty noisy because I had to bump up exposure.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Damn fine ride there my friend, and a wealth of good tips and things to watch for and be aware of! kinda going way back her but i gotta say that the gpm front box does indeed look like 2 dif colors/tones in all 3 pictures! crazy that they are not but light and shadow are funny things.

Anyway, keep up the good work Bro its been fun to watch
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:47 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf View Post
Damn fine ride there my friend, and a wealth of good tips and things to watch for and be aware of! kinda going way back her but i gotta say that the gpm front box does indeed look like 2 dif colors/tones in all 3 pictures! crazy that they are not but light and shadow are funny things.

Anyway, keep up the good work Bro its been fun to watch
I appreciate the kind words, It's nice to know someone enjoys what I'm doing (other than me lol). And The GPM case is off no doubt. It's weird, head on it looks fine, but the halves must have been polished in different directions or something because if you turn it the slightest it starts to looks like different colors.

Thanks again for tuning in, I should be getting back on the Yeti soon now that the snow is leaving. I've recently just been dumping parts into my Scx10 and wraith.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Of topic I know, but just wondering what your overall feel/opinion is on the wraith vs yeti? I have had an scx10 for years it's still nearly stock but has been a dependable companion on many trail walks and hunting scouting trips. Really don't look at it as a comparison to the yeti really, maybe they just seem like really different animals in my mind. But my dingo goes like 5mph flat out lol, so you can see why I feel that way. Anyway the wraith seems to be a kissin cousin to the yeti, so it makes me wonder. I originally went to the local hobby shop to buy a wraith kit, but they were sold out, but did just get this new spangled and highly touted Yeti RTR in just that day....I'm guessing you can connect the dots from there.

Since you have both and seem to be building on them both, I just like to here your take on how the compare or differ, which you prefer n why
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf View Post
Of topic I know, but just wondering what your overall feel/opinion is on the wraith vs yeti? I have had an scx10 for years it's still nearly stock but has been a dependable companion on many trail walks and hunting scouting trips. Really don't look at it as a comparison to the yeti really, maybe they just seem like really different animals in my mind. But my dingo goes like 5mph flat out lol, so you can see why I feel that way. Anyway the wraith seems to be a kissin cousin to the yeti, so it makes me wonder. I originally went to the local hobby shop to buy a wraith kit, but they were sold out, but did just get this new spangled and highly touted Yeti RTR in just that day....I'm guessing you can connect the dots from there.

Since you have both and seem to be building on them both, I just like to here your take on how the compare or differ, which you prefer n why
I dont really like any of them more than the other that is why I need them all!!!!

The wraith is basically the Jack of all trades because it does everything pretty well. It crawls great and goes fast (depending on setup, I have a roc412 in mine). I really only have it because I wanted something new so I picked up a Wraith kit. So I guess I dont really have a great answer for you lol. One thing I'm not a fan of is having a go fast bashing rig without some sort of servo saver. I probably Use my wraith the least soley because I keep having to repair or replace a servo. Not cheapo servos either, titanium geared ones even get destroyed
Old 03-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #39
Jus
I wanna be Dave

For me the wraith makes an excellent crawler and trail rig. I've had mine for 4 years. I got a yeti as a jack of all trades go fast rig. It handles fast very well and can still handle the trails and light duty crawling.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

This sweet rig still around?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.2, axial, rock crawler, rock racer, yeti

Ant's Yeti - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
Ant's ''Rock Lizard'' Wraith Abrown83 Axial Wraith 6 11-09-2013 01:42 PM
Ant's XR10 Build Abrown83 Axial XR10 36 05-09-2013 11:32 PM
Ant's XR10! Abrown83 Axial XR10 12 08-29-2012 02:29 AM