Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: open diff rear end

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #1

Default open diff rear end

How do I open up the rear end? I want to ditch the posi. Any help is appreciated.
champ306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: open diff rear end

Look in your owners manual and order a duplicate of your front diff...case, spider gears, gasket, & O-rings and get some good fluid.

Not sure why you would want to do that unless you're just SC Racing, but that will unlock it for you.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #3

I have driven the big yeti with open diff rear end and it feels way better to drive and bash than the posi. Posi is not as .
Old 01-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You have a locker, not a posi...
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #5

I've been wanting to do the same to mine. Will make it corner better/more predictably for sure. Put some thick diff oil in it and it will still climb good too. Doughnuts are all good until you decide that you've had enough of them. :-) I don't plan to do dedicated crawling with this rig, but if I was I'd go the other direction and lock the front as well.
Stampedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #6

Very true indeed, sorry it is a locker rear end, I was wrong and called it a Posi rear end. Yeah I think it is the machines Achilles heel. Not sure why they tossed in LOCKER with open front diff. After driving it awhile I think it would be more enjoyable to have the diff in the rear as well. I guess for Trail situations it may be good to have the locked rear, but I am using it for more bashing than trail driving.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
You have a locker, not a posi...
technically its a spool.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #8

too funny.

how bout I got an ass end that drives both wheels at the same time. period.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
technically its a spool.
No. Stock rear is in fact a locked differential; a "locker". A spool (like Locked Up RC) replaces the diff alltogether.
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #10

Well I bought a spare front diff in hopes that i could swap in the differential in place of the cock block locked rear end. No joy. The front has axle cups that are E clipped in place to the bevel gears. No real good way to replicate this in the rear end with the long rear axles simply just going into the cock block in stock configuration.
Well, just thought I would update in case anyone else wants to try or has a better idea?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #11
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ306 View Post
Well I bought a spare front diff in hopes that i could swap in the differential in place of the cock block locked rear end. No joy. The front has axle cups that are E clipped in place to the bevel gears. No real good way to replicate this in the rear end with the long rear axles simply just going into the cock block in stock configuration.
Well, just thought I would update in case anyone else wants to try or has a better idea?
Remove the drive cups, the spider gears have the same flats for both the drive cups and axle shafts. Axle shafts will slide right into the spider gears in the diff.

The problem is containing the fluid because you cant seal the diff before installing it.

Ive had success with diff lock fluid in the rear axle with an open diff.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #12

ehh, well that is not so easy. yes I agree its the same drive design, but there is no way to hold the gear in place. the shaft of the axle does not have a slot for an E clip. so you would have to get the axle into the bevel gear while inside of the diff. then the gear is going to float some screwing up your mesh. I feel it would just be a weak spot and you would promptly destroy the bevel gears in the diff.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I used the stock diff housing. Pull the iron cross locker out. Install HPI diff gears and Axial o rings and gasket. The lockouts hold the outer bearing which holds the axle from pulling out.
HPI 103400 --diff gear set
AXIAL. AX30385 diff gasket
AXIAL AX30385 o rings

And then pack the diff full of wheel bearing grease.
ratrod63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ306 View Post
ehh, well that is not so easy. yes I agree its the same drive design, but there is no way to hold the gear in place. the shaft of the axle does not have a slot for an E clip. so you would have to get the axle into the bevel gear while inside of the diff. then the gear is going to float some screwing up your mesh. I feel it would just be a weak spot and you would promptly destroy the bevel gears in the diff.
Pretty standard. Most solid axle rigs do not e-clip the outputs, they just float in there. TLT, Wheely king, that's the factory set-up. Never had any problems. Specifically with AR60's, I've been running a BL wraith with this set-up for a long time with no ill effects.

You'll be fine.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #15
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Pretty standard. Most solid axle rigs do not e-clip the outputs, they just float in there. TLT, Wheely king, that's the factory set-up. Never had any problems. Specifically with AR60's, I've been running a BL wraith with this set-up for a long time with no ill effects.

You'll be fine.
Correct, you will be fine. Been running a Yeti with an open rear diff for a long time
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #16

Well guys I will just have to try it I guess. Just seems the spider gears would be a little loose. If you say it works i will tear back into it and give it a whirl. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrod63 View Post
I used the stock diff housing. Pull the iron cross locker out. Install HPI diff gears and Axial o rings and gasket. The lockouts hold the outer bearing which holds the axle from pulling out.
HPI 103400 --diff gear set
AXIAL. AX30385 diff gasket
AXIAL AX30385 o rings

And then pack the diff full of wheel bearing grease.
Thanks for the heads up on how to open rear end. The o-ring number you gave is the same for the gasket. Can you tell me which o-rings you run for the "conversion"? Also, does the ring sit below the sun gears? Thank you!
TommyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviledEggs View Post
No. Stock rear is in fact a locked differential; a "locker". A spool (like Locked Up RC) replaces the diff alltogether.
also technichally it is a spool type diff, a locker usually uses spring or air pressure to hold cogs together for a locked axle but can unlock and ratchet around corners, look up detroit locker, and a posi uses spring pressure and clutches to create a locked feeling but the clutches slip aroung corners. just an FYI
ullose272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBobby View Post
Thanks for the heads up on how to open rear end. The o-ring number you gave is the same for the gasket. Can you tell me which o-rings you run for the "conversion"? Also, does the ring sit below the sun gears? Thank you!
I found the O ring to be PN AXA1162
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote

open diff rear end - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open rear diff??? Tgreer Vaterra Twin Hammers 13 06-23-2020 05:57 PM
Open rear diff? Stan3535 Vaterra Twin Hammers 26 12-16-2015 11:35 AM
Noisy Rear End (Diff) 2Dogs Axial SCX-10 5 06-17-2010 07:34 PM