Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: 2 speed transmission review???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 07:07 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 2 speed transmission review???

Anyone with any thoughts on the new 2 speed transmission in the kit version and how it compares to the AX2 transmission from RC4WD? Building a new U4 rig and have used an AX2 in the past but if the Yeti transmission is better as far as gear ratios, slop, and what not Ill switch to that version.

Wes
WesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2 speed transmission review???

Completely different.
Look at the exploded view in the Yeti kit manual.
They are not interchangeable.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTX View Post
Anyone with any thoughts on the new 2 speed transmission in the kit version and how it compares to the AX2 transmission from RC4WD? Building a new U4 rig and have used an AX2 in the past but if the Yeti transmission is better as far as gear ratios, slop, and what not Ill switch to that version.

Wes
The kit version does not come with a 2 speed. The 2 speed is not yet available.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I am building a new rig so I can make it match the yeti transmission.

I guess I should have read the rest of the axial description where it says 2 speed parts sold seperately.

Oh well, thanks for pointing out my ignorance.

Wes
Old 02-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #5

That 2-speed seems to be some kind of bogus to me right now.
EVERY package shows something that is not available neither it is included or somebody tells about it.

Finally I do not need it but it could really make crawling on 3S possible without doing it KOH style all the time.
Running a nice sensor end setup helps but one you hit the throttle it just bashes thru everything:-)
Tiki Woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Woodie View Post
That 2-speed seems to be some kind of bogus to me right now.
EVERY package shows something that is not available neither it is included or somebody tells about it.

Finally I do not need it but it could really make crawling on 3S possible without doing it KOH style all the time.
Running a nice sensor end setup helps but one you hit the throttle it just bashes thru everything:-)
That is why I had ended up regearing my Yeti to more closely match a Wraith. I am not a speedy junky (in relative terms). The speed of a Wraith on 3s with a 3100KV motor is great for me. So I installed the underdrive gears front and rear on my Yeti and dropped down the pinion size. Now I can do a little more finesse crawling with my Pro4HD 3000KV motor and Tekin RX8. But if you still want that stock speed, this setup isn't any good for you
Old 02-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

is the 2 speed just as simple as changing the gear in the transmission or much more complex?
tuba6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuba6869 View Post
is the 2 speed just as simple as changing the gear in the transmission or much more complex?
There will be several pieces required as well as a radio capable of running a new shift servo.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuba6869 View Post
When it becomes available it will add a gear set and linkage to the transmission. You will need a an open RX channel and a servo to shift it. Pretty simple.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
RcBros Hobbies

Two speed transmissions have always been hit or miss in the RC word. However, I really enjoy it on my Twin hammers.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

sounds like a good time, i have seen the rcs with them and would be a great addition to a yeti
tuba6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Is there a release date on this option??? I have been asked this question at the shop quite a bit lately....LOL
cherokee pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #13
ACR
Rock Stacker

I love two-speed transmission ... That is why not bought the Yeti.
I decided to build a platform IFS inspired Yeti with AX2 transmission.

ACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I love the 2 speed AX2 I had in my wraithzilla, could crawl great with super low gearing then throttle up for high speed runs. Wouldn't work for u4rc since you can't shift on the fly but was still super nice to have. That's why I was asking about the yeti transmission, wondering if they ar going to make it so you can shift on the fly.

Wes
Old 02-17-2015, 08:48 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

No one have news on the 2 speeds trans im getting wory it will never hapen. Is there a way that we could make partial refund from axial if i bought the yeti for the 2 speed trans they advertise but never deliver?
dubfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfreak View Post
No one have news on the 2 speeds trans im getting wory it will never hapen. Is there a way that we could make partial refund from axial if i bought the yeti for the 2 speed trans they advertise but never deliver?
No XR-10 owners got partial refunds over the cutting brake, so I would venture to say NO.

It would be too easy for everyone to say "I bought a yeti just for the 2 speed, give me money back".

You got what you paid for, if it ever surfaces, the 2nd gear is an option part, not something that was intended to come in the current RTR or first round kit.

I think the only way to make a durable 2 speed is with machined hardened steel gears rather than sintered metal gears, or chromoly gears... $$$ Cha Ching $$$
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

So.... who in the aftermarket is going to step up & release the parts before Axial?

I was one that bit in with the 2 speed as a major sell point. Sure I can swap pinions & cover all of my needs, but just takes away from the fun factor. Yeti has been sitting idle on shelf for months just waiting.

Last edited by Jethrobodean; 02-18-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Jethrobodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Your letting something as little as the lack of 2 speed keep you from driving the thing? Damn

I bought my yeti in September and have drivin the crap out of it and over that time, I've discovered the 2 speed is worthless to me, even if they release it. It will still cog in first, cause that's what unsensored setups do at low speed. Second, I have 2 other dedicated crawlers if I want my slow speed fix.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I've got a good sensored system already. Night & day to stock, but still doesn't crawl or just trail run very well (unless you're way more into rock bouncing than me) I got it with hopes of a more true scale U4 car than a basher or U4RC. Had a 2 speed in the old one, it really changes a car.
Jethrobodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

the first press releases said it CAME with the 2 speed... then it became an option just before the first ones shipped.(after most of us had already dropped the money for it) am i the only one who remembers this?!? and yes, i am more inclined to just run my wraith over the yeti because of the lack of 2 speed. i have it geared low enough to run the u4 course, and even on 4s its kinda boring on any open space. it was originally sold as having it, i bought thinking i was getting it, and i understand they made it an option to save on production costs, but if its never released, then some kind of care should be taken to the customers. hell, even red bull is giving anyone who asks a $10 refund because you dont actually grow wings when you drink one. advertise something and dont deliver, its going to bite you in the ass
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 speed transmission review??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tf2 with 2 speed transmission and 2 speed transfer case Teasley4Crawlers RC4WD Trail Finder 2 9 12-02-2014 10:34 AM
2 Speed transmission rickesco Newbie General 9 12-28-2013 07:28 PM
Dremel high speed cutter#199 review demonoid369 Tools, and Procedures 14 05-15-2011 07:22 PM
3 speed transmission??? krono7s Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 3 06-03-2010 12:56 PM