Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Diamond Build Yeti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Diamond Build Yeti

Getting pretty close to being done for now. I ordered some VP knuckles to take care of the clearance issues that the SSD knucks caused. As much I as I liked the SSDs, these are incredibly well finished, well sort of. They cured the clearance issue immediately. You can see What I'm talking about by looking at the space the bearing is sitting, that space has been filled on the VP knuckles.

Cool, double the logo for the same low price!

Spend a little time tidying the wires up. It's clean enough for me. That spektrum is running the short antenna mod as I broke it last season and don't feel like replacing it quite yet. Range is not effected in my use of the truck.

The last thing I took care of was swapping 35wt oil in the front shocks, the 70wt was far too slow. Thinking about thinning out the rears, but I would like a test first. Here's the new stance.

kstowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Locked Up scale hardware for the win. The quality is incredible and I think they added the perfect touch to these Prangs.

Only issue now is the backspacing, the knuckles are the worst. So I have some Gearhead 0.125" spacers and some VP SLW 600s on the way. One of those is sure to get this truck running again!

Last edited by kstowe; 04-04-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #43
Pebble Pounder

I had to run 600 hubs to clear the Vanquish Knuckles.
deerco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerco View Post
I had to run 600 hubs to clear the Vanquish Knuckles.
Prang wheels too?
Old 04-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Correct. Prang wheels.
deerco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

I had just a short while before work today to install the parts I got in the mail last night. I picked up the long 4-40 SLW acorns from Locked Up so they'll work with the Gearhead spacers I got last week.

First mount, it has a lip that peaks out from behind the face of the wheel. grabbed the dremel, and ground it down to fit much better.

Shaved vs. unshaved
(always go shaved )

Ran out of time, so I didn't get any pics. Track width measures at 13" front and 12.5" rear. If weather cooperates, it will hit the dirt this weekend!

Last edited by kstowe; 04-12-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstowe View Post
I need a Sleeve for these, but they work ok for what they are, good thing I bought a 60 pack.
would you mind linking where you got them?
microcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by microcrawlers View Post
would you mind linking where you got them?
It's been a while, pulled them up again on McMaster-Carr. Like 99.999% sure there are the ones. McMaster-Carr

Thanks for the love man!
Old 04-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

I brought the Yeti with to the Big Squid bash last Sunday with my fiance and her Wraith. The venue that hosted is "working" on a U4 track. I hoped there would be something to run, there wasn't, but that's why I have the 8ight.

I took it outside to shakedown the rebuild and catch some video. After about 5 minutes I realized something was slipping BAD. Took the gear cover off to find the slipper nut still tight, but something still slipping under mild to moderate acceleration. After looking at it another little while I decided that maybe the wear on the Robinson Racing slipper had finally taken it toll.

I've already order a 56t to replace this 64t. I Still want to try and scuff the back of the 64t to see it that helps, but at this point it's pretty much a bonus if it does. Maybe use it in another vehicle?
Old 04-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Got my new Robinson Racing 56T Spur in the mail last week, installed it and went out with my fiance on Sunday. Installation was flawless and the new smaller spur means I COULD go bigger on my pinion. I do have a 23T sitting around. Not like this needs any more speed...

Install:

21/56 gearing

I actually caught some decent stills of this truck in action for the first time!

Last but definitely not lease, Video! This first one is the high speed Bash style, the second is a hill climb/trail video with some nice backdrops. Please enjoy in 1080 HD!

Old 05-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

This truck is running far better than it ever has on this new rebuild. All of the new parts make a huge difference. Most notably the MMX, Powerstoke shocks and cut U4s. I'm loving the SSD 2 Speed also, it it being used much more than I ever anticipated, and is much easier to use than I expected. Here are some of my thoughts on these:

The MMX is great and that's comparing it to the RX8 and BLE Pro I've used in the truck before. It has incredible throttle control, maybe just a hair less than an RX8, but I cringe a lot less every time this takes a splash, or a fall. It feels like it was made to run with the 2050 T8. I never get any heat, and I heard it turning the fan off a few times yesterday with +/-70 degree Fahrenheit ambient temps. I'm geared 21/56 and I might jump up to the 23t I have laying around to see what happens.

The shocks are miles ahead of what Axial ships the RTRs out with. I can't believe it took me so long to upgrade this area of the truck. Oh yeah...
It was the price of shocks.
It cost about $110 for the Powerstrokes, but they've been worth every penny. The suspension actually works over the ground instead of just sort of riding the terrain until it's "rocked" by whatever the obstacle is. In the video below you can see the it in action. I'm using 30wt front and 35wt rear on the original (Powerstroke) springs. This truck is well over 10 lbs at this point.

I know I don't really have to talk about Ottsix Voodoo U4s, especially in this sub-forum. BUT, the cut has taken this tire to a level I didn't know RC tires could go. They're pretty much football (whichever you prefer) cleats. I will add that since my fiance has seen these tires in action she now claims her RC4WD Swampers are junk.

Took the trucks out for some fun at my favorite state park!

Some slow-mo fun! Watch in HD!

Old 05-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

Thanks for nothing. After ready your review I just purchased some Powerstroke shocks. If my wife finds out i'm a dead man but these are the last upgrade my yeti needs. ya right.

Can wait.
blkbart00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbart00 View Post
Thanks for nothing. After ready your review I just purchased some Powerstroke shocks. If my wife finds out i'm a dead man but these are the last upgrade my yeti needs. ya right.

Can wait.
Just here to help out where I can! lol

You'll enjoy the shocks! Don't make the same mistake I did by going with a heavy wt fluid. I'd stick to 30-40 all around, and tune the ride height w/ the springs.

It took a long time and a LOT of money, but I'm very happy with the truck I've got now. After filming my buddy's Wraith burnt up a motor. I towed him a lease a quarter mile back to the parking lot in lo gear.

It does everything I want it to do, and it does it with speed!
Old 05-16-2016, 07:45 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Sweet rig! I bet that thing rips with that crazy setup!

I noticed in your first few pictures that you had the Axial uni's in, are those the 92mm or 94mm and how do you like them? I bent both and twisted one of my dogbones and looking for a replacement that won't break the bank.
RaceMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceMod View Post
Sweet rig! I bet that thing rips with that crazy setup!

I noticed in your first few pictures that you had the Axial uni's in, are those the 92mm or 94mm and how do you like them? I bent both and twisted one of my dogbones and looking for a replacement that won't break the bank.
Thanks! Check out one of my YouTube videos above if you'd like to see for yourself!

I bent/broke 3 sets of axial 94mm universal shafts. One broke, and the bent pairs still worked, until I replaced them with the VP VVDs. I haven't checked these shafts for damage yet, but I've have unlocked the front diff to be easier on them. The front was locked when I damaged the Unis.

Here's my opinion on front shafts; Axial Unis (94mm) will work. I bet the 92mms work even better. The Vanquish VVDs or Incision version are your best bet at an unbreakable shaft. But even the best parts can let go in a driver error.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

I heard the pins gets loose on the vanquish ones?

Sent from my iPhone
Haziza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haziza View Post
I heard the pins gets loose on the vanquish ones?

Sent from my iPhone
I can only speak from my experience, and I haven't had that issue.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #58
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the advice, my LHS doesn't stock VP or incision, but I'll have them order the 92mm unis. I'd love to have a set of the VP VVDs but the Canadian dollar sucks right now, so they end up costing a lot more.
RaceMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Had some time for a short outing with a buddy. We ended up at this abandoned quarry, and it was amazing. The rocks were like nothing I'm used to in IL. The quarry is a big ole lake now.

We found the nastiest climb and headed up. I would have got more pictures/video but when I took the Yeti to the top of the first climb I got a little ahead of myself. i didn't realize there was no landing, so I shot the Yeti straight off of a 70 ft ridge. Here's how I found it.

And the damage done; 2 Jato rod ends and a VP Currie shaft sheered right off. Cost me $35 for the new shafts and they should be here before I can run the truck again.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:34 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

That's all you broke from a crazy death jump!!! That's pretty damn good. Go for a 100 footer next time.lol. Thought it was Gna be in a bunch of pieces
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote

Diamond Build Yeti - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The RCNetwork's Yeti Build! RichMTB01 Axial Yeti 172 12-17-2015 06:55 PM
Yet Another Yeti Build Sh0rtBus Axial Yeti 120 11-03-2015 09:55 AM
Millsous Yeti Build Millsous Axial Yeti 75 09-11-2015 07:25 AM
Rangerhavok's Yeti Build rangerhavok Axial Yeti 3 01-31-2015 05:15 PM
Yeti Killer: How Would You Build It? MountainStorm General Crawlers 24 07-07-2014 09:25 PM