Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Diamond Build Yeti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Diamond Build Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto View Post
That's all you broke from a crazy death jump!!! That's pretty damn good. Go for a 100 footer next time.lol. Thought it was Gna be in a bunch of pieces
Yeah, trust me I was expecting something a lot worse. I know the picture doesn't look like much, but I climbed down it and there was a 20-30 ft free fall mixed into the crash. I guess that's what I get for upgrading everything lol

On a side note, I noticed that whenever I get into a good wreck I seem to pop top rear link rod ends like nobody's business. Anyone else running into this?
I'm not concerned as rod end as cheap, I see it as the "give" in my setup I guess.
kstowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #62
RCC Addict

you are not alone
after switching to an ssd diamond wide axle my rear upper link (stock with link plates)
broke on the axle ballpoint after a light slide hit at an wall.
stiffenup a part on the yeti will lead you to anotber breakege.
i stiffen my hinge pin in the front, with two alu tubes m4 and m5. next hit at the front and my stock steering knukle broke not to say that the hinge pin is good as new
sad that is was day 2 of my croatia trip so no more testing
sidenote don't try to repair a broken upperlink with superglue

greetz from germany
magic yeti

Last edited by magic_yeti; 06-10-2016 at 03:48 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Got out for a little bit. Ended up sheering a servo horn. I'll have to buy a backup...

Old 07-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Same here! I wrecked longer traxxas rod ends two times in a single day (Life of one YETI - Tom Frajer's Axial Yeti build log). Now I have RPM rod ends prepared as they are little bit stronger - didn't tried them yet. Someone in my build log recommends this:

"As for your broken rod ends, you need the longer "Currie length" upper links with that axle. Then you can use the shorter "revo" rod ends which are much stronger. Had the same issue when I switched my rear truss."

Also for the better rear axle shafts go with titanium shafts made by CREEPERBOB (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...ml#post3870075). I bent my Currie shafts very easily. I have staightened them so this should keep me going until ordered titanium ones will arrive. Vanquish also sent replacement shafts already - these will be my spares just for the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstowe View Post
Yeah, trust me I was expecting something a lot worse. I know the picture doesn't look like much, but I climbed down it and there was a 20-30 ft free fall mixed into the crash. I guess that's what I get for upgrading everything lol

On a side note, I noticed that whenever I get into a good wreck I seem to pop top rear link rod ends like nobody's business. Anyone else running into this?
I'm not concerned as rod end as cheap, I see it as the "give" in my setup I guess.

Last edited by TomFrajer; 07-14-2016 at 07:17 AM.
TomFrajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFrajer View Post
Same here! I wrecked longer traxxas rod ends two times in a single day (Life of one YETI - Tom Frajer's Axial Yeti build log). Now I have RPM rod ends prepared as they are little bit stronger - didn't tried them yet. Someone in my build log recommends this:

"As for your broken rod ends, you need the longer "Currie length" upper links with that axle. Then you can use the shorter "revo" rod ends which are much stronger. Had the same issue when I switched my rear truss."

Also for the better rear axle shafts go with titanium shafts made by CREEPERBOB (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...ml#post3870075). I bent my Currie shafts very easily. I have staightened them so this should keep me going until ordered titanium ones will arrive. Vanquish also sent replacement shafts already - these will be my spares just for the case.
Thanks, but it doesn't bother me too much as I always keeps spares on me. I've only done it a couple of times and each of those were in nasty wrecks. I would rather loose a rod end than bend a VP Currie axle shaft for the price difference, if you follow.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

So I decided to uninstall the SSD 2 speed cause I burnt a servo out, I don't think this motor/ESC need the low gear, and the added complexity and weight are counter productive on a truck like this. I started by pulling the Tran/t-case. I used a new transmission case, so I can keep this together. It looks like it needs a little grease, but still in pretty good shape. I'll hold onto it in hopes I get an SCX2 kit soon.

Front diff still looks good.

T-case is indestructible imo

While I had the front apart I added a little more Mack's earplug. It has held up x10 better than I would have expected.

Going back together

I picked up some traxxas turnbuckles to replace the worn out carter fab links I had. these work well and they're lighter.

Buttoned up.

I picked up a DX4S for pretty cheap at my LHS, I wanted it primarily for the ABS braking in this truck, and it work well. But after binding it up, I realized what I was paying for. The range and response of the system is much nice than that of the DX4C.

Videos coming soon, this thing rips so much harder now!
Old 08-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #67

VooDoo.... Ribbed for her pleasure
rcmattster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #68
Rock Crawler

Eeewwwww
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #69
RCC Addict

Quote:

I picked up a DX4S for pretty cheap at my LHS, I wanted it primarily for the ABS braking in this truck, and it work well. But after binding it up, I realized what I was paying for. The range and response of the system is much nice than that of the DX4C.

Videos coming soon, this thing rips so much harder now!
LOVE my DX4S's
I have 3 on firmware version 1.0.
They still bind to all DSM, DSM2 and DSMR receivers.

DON'T UPDATE THE FIRMWARE!!!!! EVER!!!
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Here's my truck bombing up a dusty dirt hill I found on our last trail run. It pulls wheelies up the climb, this thing is insane! Check it out for yourself in 1080 HD!

Old 08-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Here's my truck bombing up a dusty dirt hill I found on our last trail run. It pulls wheelies up the climb, this thing is insane! Check it out for yourself in 1080 HD!

Yes, yes you did douse that guys truck!
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

TEKIN TIME!

The MMX I've been running for a while took a s***, so I replaced one of the old burnt up RX8's I had. Even though I've designated the Yeti a "dry" truck, I want to protect everything and Conformal Coating is my go-to.

I used Contact Cleaner to prep the surfaces.

After 2 coats applied.

All Buttoned up! Hearing this thing beep, was music to my ears after so long of running Castle stuff. I can't wait to rip!

Diamond Build Yeti - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The RCNetwork's Yeti Build! RichMTB01 Axial Yeti 172 12-17-2015 06:55 PM
Yet Another Yeti Build Sh0rtBus Axial Yeti 120 11-03-2015 09:55 AM
Millsous Yeti Build Millsous Axial Yeti 75 09-11-2015 07:25 AM
Rangerhavok's Yeti Build rangerhavok Axial Yeti 3 01-31-2015 05:15 PM
Yeti Killer: How Would You Build It? MountainStorm General Crawlers 24 07-07-2014 09:25 PM