Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: HobbyWing 3400kv Sensored Xerun Gearing and settings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2015, 06:37 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HobbyWing 3400kv Sensored Xerun Gearing and settings?

I ordered the this hobbywing sct pro ezrun setup. 3556sd 120a esc

For those of you out there running this as well, what gearing are you running and what temps is it generating?

Also what settings on the esc?

I had planned on running stock gearing on 3s, what do you think?
OkinawaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: HobbyWing 3400kv Sensored Xerun Gearing and settings?

I haven't seen people running that comb on here. That doesn't mean anything, but you may not find a direct on point answer. That said, the motor is a 4 pole and is likely a little weaker than the stock motor in the RTR. As for gearing, you are running a motor that is 8% faster than the stock motor (3400 KV as compared to 3150). The gear ration as between the pinion and spur in stock form is 16P and 64S (4:1). If you drop down one tooth to a 15T pinion, you will get a gear ratio of 4.267:1. The difference is approximately 6.7% meaning that you will get approximately 1.3% greater speed than a stock axial Yeti with that set up. I should tell you that the stock motor was undergeared from the factory, so you may be just fine with the 16T pinion or may be able to use an 18T pinion if you desire more speed.

The programming template is available here:

HOBBYWING TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.

Some suggestions:

Drag brake:
This depends on if you are a high speed runner or a crawler. Crawlers like more drag brake, but high speed runners like less to increase stability. I would run 10-20% drag brake and see how you like it. If you are a crawler, go ahead and start at 40% and move up from there.

Punch:
This is all up to you. I like my settings punchy, but it comes at the price of low speed control. I would keep the stock settings at level 5 and see how you like it. With a 4 pole motor you probably have all the power you need without a crazy punch setting.

Brake Force:
I suggest keeping it at 50%

Neutral Range:
This depends on your transmitter. I like a narrow gap as it makes the trigger feel more connected.

Timing:
The $64 million dollar question. Timing adds heat and greater RPM to a motor. Generally 4 poles don't need or want timing and you are better set to go up to a larger pinion gear if you want greater speed. That said, I run my 2700 KV 4 pole motor with 10 degrees of timing. I would suggest you play around with it and see what gives the best performance given your driving style and the temp on the motor. I have found that with 0 degrees of timing the last 25% of the power band feels noticeably softer in most motors. With a 2 pole motor (not that you have one) I run a ton of timing to get a huge push in the mid range and upper RPM power band. Play around with the timing setting and check temps! Some motors have almost no reaction to timing while others require one particular amount of advance to be happy. Try to keep the motor temps below 160 at the end of a run and you will be golden.

Other Settings:
I would not fool with the rest of the settings. Keep the heat protection on and auto lipo detect active.

There are a bunch of people running the motor as a crawling motor in other Axial products that you can read about here:

Hobbywing xerun 3656 3400kv
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The 120amp ESC you have is great. I have a few HobbyWing ESC's. 150a, 120a, 60a...
They all are very adjustable. I keep my settings in the middle of the range.
I keep my punch setting on 4 of 9, I believe that's the range. About 40%, regardless.
Same with my timing.

Brake force at 75%

Drag brake on 5% at the moment. That varies as far as what I'm doing. Bashing = 5% - 10% Crawling = 20% - 40% Drag.

As far as your motor, its great! Much better than people realize.
Check out this thread. R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hobbywing XERUN 3656sd 4wd SC 540 4 pole motor Thread

I have the 3656sd 4000kv in my Wraith. Crawls very well. Geared down to 60/12. on 3s its very quick.

You will be very happy with your purchase. No matter what settings you choose.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjpjr View Post
The 120amp ESC you have is great. I have a few HobbyWing ESC's. 150a, 120a, 60a...
They all are very adjustable. I keep my settings in the middle of the range.
I keep my punch setting on 4 of 9, I believe that's the range. About 40%, regardless.
Same with my timing.

Brake force at 75%

Drag brake on 5% at the moment. That varies as far as what I'm doing. Bashing = 5% - 10% Crawling = 20% - 40% Drag.

As far as your motor, its great! Much better than people realize.
Check out this thread. R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hobbywing XERUN 3656sd 4wd SC 540 4 pole motor Thread

I have the 3656sd 4000kv in my Wraith. Crawls very well. Geared down to 60/12. on 3s its very quick.

You will be very happy with your purchase. No matter what settings you choose.
Yes, BUT people run the Pro4HD which I believe has a longer stator. I would like to know which KV was in play with the Tenshock, me thinks it may have been the 5200 KV variety hence the difference in mass.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Great answers guys!!! This was so much help. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I run that motor/ESC combo but 4000kv with factory setting and stock gearing. The programing box I received is defective so I cannot change the settings. Regardless, the thing hauls! It will lift the front wheels from any speed. It does run a little hot, then again I live in hot south Florida and I drive the snot out of it. I have had the ESC put itself into safe mode with dramatically less power available 2 or 3 times. This only happened after 30+ min of pretty much full throttle high speed runs. I got a integy motor heatsink and fan to see if that helps out at all
maxPOWAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:35 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTT View Post
Yes, BUT people run the Pro4HD which I believe has a longer stator. I would like to know which KV was in play with the Tenshock, me thinks it may have been the 5200 KV variety hence the difference in mass.
You may be correct, but if memory serves the HobbyWing was comparable, if not larger. That wasn't the thread I was looking for. There was a far more in depth one with lots of pictures and technical specs. Regardless, I buy Chinese and have no regrets. I crawl with my buddies and keep right up with them. And I've spent half as much.
Each to his own, not trying to start a pissing contest.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

No quarrel here. I buy chinese all the way. Hence my 45 dollar 4065 leopard motor including shipping. It's stupid powerful. I even have a few no name motors in my drawer. Count me in for a bargain.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:44 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Agreed, I got this sensored esc/motor with programmer for 111 shipped. I wanted to do the tekin pro4hd but didn't think it would be worth over a hundred difference for the tekin plus mmp and castle link.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:32 AM   #10

Hello, I have this motor in my yeti. I use the standard 16t pinion for bashing, very impressive with 3s Lipo: very good top speed and does wheelies on asphalt or grass.

For crawling, I use a 12t pinion, its smoother and gives better run times and less stress for the esc.

Can't wait to have the two speed components.

ra272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:17 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra272 View Post
Hello, I have this motor in my yeti. I use the standard 16t pinion for bashing, very impressive with 3s Lipo: very good top speed and does wheelies on asphalt or grass.

For crawling, I use a 12t pinion, its smoother and gives better run times and less stress for the esc.

Can't wait to have the two speed components.

Nice! I'm going to run the 16 as I don't really crawl (ironic being on a crawler forum) how are the temps running the 16t?
Old 04-02-2015, 06:02 AM   #12

Temp was a little high, but now I use a fan on it and it's very good.
ra272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Ah dang, sounds like I may need to run 12t just to keep the temps down.

Are you happy with the motor or wish you would have went a different route?
Old 04-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I have to beat the piss out of my truck to get my motor to get warm. Geared 56/12
Its on my wraith at the moment. Even on 3s the MMP and 4000kv stays quite cool.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What was your temp? I Leopard 4065 2700 KV with larger swamper XLs and Method wheels runs 120s with a fan and geared 20/56.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #16
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTT View Post
What was your temp? I Leopard 4065 2700 KV with larger swamper XLs and Method wheels runs 120s with a fan and geared 20/56.
Thinking to go the same route. Would you stick with the same KV or go higher if you were buying again? You think this setup is faster then stock?

I'm used to bashing with this motor in a rig that'll do 45+MPH easy (on 3S). Love the motor, seems like a good choice for my Yeti kit .

Okinawa - did you go with the 3400KV? What pinon and how do you like it?

Last edited by IPT; 04-02-2015 at 07:17 PM.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:54 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Thinking to go the same route. Would you stick with the same KV or go higher if you were buying again? You think this setup is faster then stock?

I'm used to bashing with this motor in a rig that'll do 45+MPH easy (on 3S). Love the motor, seems like a good choice for my Yeti kit .

Okinawa - did you go with the 3400KV? What pinon and how do you like it?
I have the 3400kv xerun combo on the way right now. I had planned on running the stock 16t pinion but I'm unsure now from what people have been saying. I might have to drop it down.

I only went with this combo because I wanted a sensored setup and got this setup with programmer for $111. I've had good luck with hobbywing in the past. Otherwise I would have ran the pro4hd 3000kv and et3s ESC

HobbyWing 3400kv Sensored Xerun Gearing and settings? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbywing xerun 3656 3400kv Gvm23 Electronics 26 01-30-2014 01:23 PM
Hobbywing Xerun Sensored brushless combo. Neeley Electronics 2 01-20-2012 04:47 AM