Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: SSD 2 Speed Install and Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Thumbs up SSD 2 Speed Install and Review

Got my 2 speed in, thought i would post up a little install and review thread.

I really like the large clear instructions. for a piece like this i was glad to have them.

First thing i did was remove and clean the trans. dont want any debris falling in and sticking to the lube when you open the case.

Step 1 assemble shift fork
i skiped step 2 leaving the bearings in the case.

Step 3 install bearings in gears
normally i would have liked to see rubber shielded bearings, but inside a sealed trans this is not needed, infact the metal sheilds are more effecient with less resitance. Bearings seemed to be pre oiled but i added 3 drops each just in case.

Step 4 slide on cog ring
the cog ring on the hex shaft was a hair loose but i assume this is done to help it slide/shift easier.

Step 5&6 slide gears and washers on.
i skiped step 7 leaving the bearings in the case

Step 8 slide on shift fork onto groove.

i have to say i was REALLY impressed with all the tolerances.everything nearly snaps together its so perfect. excellent fit and finish. on par if not above VP.

Step 9 install into trans. i test fit here. you have to remove the little plug from the inside of the case to allow the shift fork shaft to slide threw.
after test fit i removed and lubed. i prefer Lucas Red and Tacky #2

Step 10 reinstall trans into yeti and assemble shift linkage using left over short axial rod ends.

Step 11 install servo mounts. i will say these for being so simple they are quite impressive, they have to fit some odd angles and offsets especially the front one, and they fit just perfect.

well all the hardparts are installed. next up electronics. just awaiting a servo saver to come in.
ill cover servo/radio setup and do some testing and a review. stay tuned

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 04-23-2015 at 12:08 PM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #2

Default Re: SSD 2 Speed Install and Review

Nice, can't wait to have mine installed.
ra272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Sub'd for the build up. Don't know that I ever plan on installing a 2-speed, but still want to see how it all works and fits together.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Sick. Looks soooo nice. Those guys kick ass! Love the garage
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Finally pics of install and a (partial) review. All the griping over Axial slacking off on the 2 speed and all the excitement over this kit from SSD and nobody has posted much on it. Keep us updated!
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I'm surprised SSD didn't do a decent write up on it. I'm waiting at least one decent pic/review before I order it.
MonsterPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I installed mine last night and it was as simple as that. Everything fit nicely and seems to shift smooth. I only tested in my basement so far but I'll give it a work out this weekend
WCCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I installed mine and shifting seems kinda sticky, I greased it and used a servo saver. Donno my issue lol
Rxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:55 AM   #9
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxracer View Post
I installed mine and shifting seems kinda sticky, I greased it and used a servo saver. Donno my issue lol
Make sure your shift servo link is as horizontal as possible and as straight as possible.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:26 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Did you grease the shaft the shifter rides on?

My dad's was a bit sticky, and has gotten MUCH better. Gotta give it break in time too.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #11
SSD
RCC Addict

Also use plenty of grease on the shift for as the shift lock will spining around it during use.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Looks like a quality item. I think I'll add it to my kit's part list.
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:15 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
the way i installed my servo was to push the shaft back and set your servo at center like in the instructions and go to I'm using DX3S Tx go to AUX on your Tx set the hi at 0 and the Low at 60 and mine don't bind at all...
You have to make sure you put the right travel on your servo...
hope that helps....
INVEST IN ONE OF THESE......

Last edited by rustneversleeps; 05-02-2015 at 01:21 AM.
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #14
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Ok servo saver came in and ive pretty much got this install wrapped up.

first I pulled the motor, Esc, and steering servo to run the shift servo wire to the receiver. I gotta say this is pretty cool of axial.

then I spent some extra time to make the tierod as straight and parallel with the shift fork shaft as I could. make the tierod as short as you can.
with the motor/trans not spinning, I was getting a bit of some binding usually only when the servo was pulling the tierod. the shift fork shaft would get kinda sideways and hang.
however, with the end points adjusted and with the motor/trans spinning it seems to work perfect everytime
im using the Kimbrogh medium size servo saver here. came with splines for all brands of servos.

for setup on a Futaba 4PL
first activate your switch, I used DT4, the lowest switch on the grip. and set it to 2 Position

then setup your channel 3. mine needed reversed. I started with +/- 30 ends points to start with. ended up here.

working video! im getting a bit of noise in 2nd gear, but im hoping that will smooth out once gears are broken in.
Also a nice peak at the sweet SSD Scale Yeti knuckles here.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #15

Sure glad this write-up exists. Evidently, SSD doesn't include an instruction sheet any more.
Stoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #16
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoop View Post
Sure glad this write-up exists. Evidently, SSD doesn't include an instruction sheet any more.
There is a link to instructions on the product page: 2 SPEED TRANSMISSION CONVERSION KIT FOR YETI
Old 04-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

What's the long term results been on the 2 speed? I just installed the SSD kit. Still working out the kinks & dialing it in.
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:04 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I'm thinking about one for a Bomber and SCX10.1 in the future.

Is it a simple bolt in for the Bomber and does it fit the SCX10.1?
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:26 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
then I spent some extra time to make the tierod as straight and parallel with the shift fork shaft as I could. make the tierod as short as you can. with the motor/trans not spinning, I was getting a bit of some binding usually only when the servo was pulling the tierod. the shift fork shaft would get kinda sideways and hang.
however, with the end points adjusted and with the motor/trans spinning it seems to work perfect everytime
im using the Kimbrogh medium size servo saver here. came with splines for all brands of servos.
I was having the same issue, with the shift link sort of flopping sideways in its travel. I added in the small support arm/link from Axial's Hi/Low Components Parts kit, AX31183. This is just the plastic parts, not the entire 2 speed trans kit. I think it ran me about $12 from RRP. There's really only 3 parts you'll need from the kit, but the end result is a much more linear movement & positive shifts. There's a small cross shaped pivot pin gizmo that threads on to the shaft coming out of the trans housing, but it's sized for the Axial shift shaft which is a slightly smaller diameter. With a little patience, you can thread it onto the SSD shaft, and it works perfectly. I used a spare screw, same diameter & thread pitch as the SSD shaft, to enlarge the hole first, then it went on quite easily.

Compared to before, shift action/throw is 100% improved. There's still a few hang ups, leaving it in "neutral" but each consecutive shift is more precise & engages more positively. I'm sure after a few runs (and me learning the ideal point to shift) it will be smooth & easy going as things settle in and wear together.

Here's the parts I used:
AX31183-8
AX31183-4
AX31183-6
Attached Images

turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

In my admittedly very limited experience My Yeti far outshines my Wraith as a "go almost anywhere" trail truck. The SSD 2 speed gear set is a part of the reason for this.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

SSD 2 Speed Install and Review - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ssd yeti 2 speed JesterSpec Axial Yeti 235 06-29-2016 04:43 PM
To the guys gearing up for the SSD 2 speed! molina Axial Yeti 18 05-05-2015 08:23 AM
SSD 2 Speed and DX4C help! molina Axial Yeti 8 04-23-2015 11:29 PM
CK Aftermarket Parts Install Review Drakeremoray HPI Wheely King 2 08-13-2010 02:31 PM