Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Robinson Gen3 slipper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Robinson Gen3 slipper

I'm in the process of giving my yeti some much needed love and a facelift. One of the upgrades I decided to do is install the Robinson Gen3 slipper unit. Doing some bench testing on it today and noticed there's tiny metal flakes coming off the pinion/spur. Is this normal upon initial use? I'm thinking it's just the metal on metal wearing into settling into each other but don't want to damage it before I can even drive it. I feel like the mesh is set pretty good but don't want to back it off to far and bust a tooth on my pinion gear or something. Is it normal to have some metal wear off like this?
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

Default Re: Robinson Gen3 slipper

I recently installed the same thing and experienced the same issue. I've ran 6 6500mah 3s packs through it since install and had no issues with the slipper or pinion. Ended up blowing out the transmission on the 4th pack, but I don't think that had anything to do with the slipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robowarrior23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

That's good to hear. I just upgraded the tranny and transfer case to aluminum cases with hd gears throughout so that should hold up fine. Finally ditched the rtr electronics and went to a monsterX/HH 3500kv xl combo. Do you run a spur cover robowarrior? Thinking I should for a few packs, then open it up and clean it out. Are you still seeing metal flakes after 6 packs?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've run mine for over a year, initial wear was minor, clutch needed constant adjustments, and one day it had seated and no adjustments. I've started setting mesh by sound and feel. With the 32p I don't run covers on either truck

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks mike. It's good to know I'm not experiencing something too drastic. Was definitely worried when I saw metal shavings...
Old 07-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

What i think it is is a hard black shipping coating. My teeth seem brighter

Hang up and Drive
Old 07-27-2017, 04:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto View Post
That's good to hear. I just upgraded the tranny and transfer case to aluminum cases with hd gears throughout so that should hold up fine. Finally ditched the rtr electronics and went to a monsterX/HH 3500kv xl combo. Do you run a spur cover robowarrior? Thinking I should for a few packs, then open it up and clean it out. Are you still seeing metal flakes after 6 packs?

I am running the exact same motor and esc combo in mine. I do run with the spur cover, as the area I run in is pretty sandy. The flakes did go away after a few packs, but came back after changing to new different sized pinion. I think it's just wearing whatever finished/coating that RRP puts on their hardened spurs and pinions.

robowarrior23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:50 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

i run in a sandy dirt area myself. I'll get a few packs through this thing soon and keep an eye on it. Now I can continue making progress and not be so worried about it. Appreciate the help
Old 07-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

This is completely normal, its basically a break in process. The same will happen if u set your gear mesh to tight also. The thing to remember is that these two gears take the raw power from your motor and are being pushed every time u drive, that is why an absolute steel gear will shred apart a non hardened gear every time.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Hmm. You made me realize I probably should've bought a hardened pinion gear too...
Old 07-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Yes u need that for sure. The worst that will happen now is that your spur will destroy your pinion and metal shavings will be everywhere.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:35 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

It'll be added to the next order I put in
Old 08-05-2017, 03:18 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robowarrior23 View Post
I recently installed the same thing and experienced the same issue. I've ran 6 6500mah 3s packs through it since install and had no issues with the slipper or pinion. Ended up blowing out the transmission on the 4th pack, but I don't think that had anything to do with the slipper.

See, I would be inclined to think the opposite…you have a quality slipper clutch installed yet you blew up the tranny?…I'd say that your tranny is blown BECAUSE of the slipper clutch…the slipper clutch that was setup all wrong and instead of allowing some slip to protect the drivetrain from shock, instead allowed the drivetrain shock to travel right through the over tightened slipper and therefore causing the tranny to absorb the shock…which, of course, broke the drivetrain that the slipper was designed to protect

But hey…that's just one man's opinion…

Why, again, did you install the slipper clutch in the first place?

Sent from my Apple iPhone 7…which, as you know, clearly defines me as being superior to you in every way
mudholestomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #14

how does this effect performance vs the stock slipper? why is it any better?
Nickval4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #15
TWS

I have run RRP slippers in Slash's and I have found them to last a long time under extreme slipping conditions. The Slash has a plastic gear that melts to nothing when you thrash the truck. Strangely they don't like to get wet and tend to rust on the shaft and not let the spring apply enough pressure to grip and then you think something is blown. Always try to run the same RRP hardened pinions with their spurs because not all "hardened" gears are the same. For the cost of them I would just run a 32 pitch traxxas gear and regular steel pinion instead.
TWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:34 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Default Robinson Gen3 slipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickval4 View Post
how does this effect performance vs the stock slipper? why is it any better?

The stock either is too tight, or too loose.You want slip when grip has you bound up, I find if I hear the slipping , I turn a bit more or less and that will let me get thru, or just plain stop and then back or whatever is needed to unbind

Hang up and Drive

Robinson Gen3 slipper - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top Shaft for Robinson Racing GEN3 Slipper RCDad57 Axial Wraith 3 10-16-2016 11:31 PM
Robinson slipper 56T Gen3 Slash sixhundred71 Axial Wraith 2 03-25-2015 07:38 AM
Robinson Racing Gen3 Slipper ednerin Axial Yeti XL 1 01-23-2015 08:08 PM
Robinson Racing Gen3 Slipper Unit cmnyj28 Axial Wraith 18 06-19-2014 06:11 PM