Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti - Ball joint & Servo turnbuckle Upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #1

Default Yeti - Ball joint & Servo turnbuckle Upgrade

Hi all,

Having just built the Yeti kit I can see a couple of areas that I haven't already upgraded that might need attention from the kit.

The first is the Servo turnbuckle. Given I placed Vanquish turnbuckles on the front and steering I feel it could be a little vulnerable. I am sure the servo saver will kick in and so its not an immediate issue but reading through the forum I see people try and lock this down / stiffen it further through shims. Doing so would then expose the turnbuckle and in turn the servo. I have a Hitec HSB-9370TH all metal gear servo.

Any suggestions on the turnbuckle, ball joints, end points?

Second is I see a lot of plastic ball inserts in the kit, is there a general metal kit you can buy? seems to me these might be under a bit of stress under load once metal hop up struts are in place and affect the rotational action.

Thanks
bizarrefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Yeti - Ball joint & Servo turnbuckle Upgrade

Hot Racing SCP160B05 Green Aluminum Suspension Pivot Balls 20 New | eBay
RustyUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:19 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarrefish View Post
I see people try and lock this down / stiffen it further through shims. Doing so would then expose the turnbuckle and in turn the servo. I have a Hitec HSB-9370TH all metal gear servo.
Mine has been locked since it was a new RTR. No issues.

I am using a Savox metal gear, all steel Traxxas turnbuckles. There is no need for servo savers with high end servos IMO.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Mine has been locked since it was a new RTR. No issues.

I am using a Savox metal gear, all steel Traxxas turnbuckles. There is no need for servo savers with high end servos IMO.
I see why you would want to lock it now I have run it a few times, you can see at the extremes of the servo movement it simply twists the servo saver under the grip pressure. Might have to mod it. I have backed off the steering end points anyway as its pointless to even go that far at the minute.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:49 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

If you are not crawling and/or cannot operate with the servo saver then I recommend you keep it. It does exactly what it says, saves the servo in a big crash/hit and also protects the whole steering assembly. I like the added protection in front of my expensive servos. I had the same problems with the servo not being able to turn the wheels and I originally thought it was the servo saver but I swapped the tactic "130oz" servo with a cheap Traxxas 86oz servo (2056) and the wheels turn fine on asphalt and dirt. If you are having steering problems try swapping the crappy tactic servo with any other servo before locking out the saver. Just my 2 cents
totallypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallypro View Post
If you are not crawling and/or cannot operate with the servo saver then I recommend you keep it. It does exactly what it says, saves the servo in a big crash/hit and also protects the whole steering assembly. I like the added protection in front of my expensive servos. I had the same problems with the servo not being able to turn the wheels and I originally thought it was the servo saver but I swapped the tactic "130oz" servo with a cheap Traxxas 86oz servo (2056) and the wheels turn fine on asphalt and dirt. If you are having steering problems try swapping the crappy tactic servo with any other servo before locking out the saver. Just my 2 cents
Thanks, I'm actually not having any issues with the steering, just my observation through setup that the servo limits went beyond the steering limits. You do see a little bit of give but as you say, if I'm not noticing an issue no real point making a change. Turning too sharp flips the rig anyway unless you lower the suspension and the center of gravity a lot. Then its no longer an off road vehicle!

Got a HiTec 340oz servo so no problems there either.

I'm now looking for some good off road action north of San Diego if anyone has any recommendations, using local parks and beaches at the moment.

Hi all,

Well the beefed up servo link did its job but a recent bashing mishap meant that the bell crank snapped instead :-). I'm guessing the servo saver kicked in but the force was too much and broke the bell crank.

Can anyone recommend an aluminium replacement at all? Looking around, hot bodies do one but its $40 as it includes the posts and steering rack too. Already have the Vanquish upgrades for those. If not I guess I simply replace with the original plastic again.

Axial Steering Bellcrank Set [AXI31022] | Parts - AMain.com - AMain.com

Cheers

Richard

Last edited by THX_138; 12-15-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I would replace with stock. Rumor is vp might be coming out with those parts soon.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
I would replace with stock. Rumor is vp might be coming out with those parts soon.
Yeah, actually sent them a message to ask if they were just now.

I'll replace with stock plastic for the moment then, thanks.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Please be true, please be true.
OzThrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzThrasher View Post
Please be true, please be true.

Last edited by fr8cture; 08-16-2015 at 07:32 PM.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti - Ball joint & Servo turnbuckle Upgrade - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
yeti xl servo upgrade clydsgoat 2 Axial Yeti XL 7 04-09-2015 01:36 AM
lower ball joint ax10 Chit Chat 13 12-21-2012 04:28 PM
Help! XT upper link ball joint broken The Jackalope Redcat Crawlers 12 03-23-2011 05:55 PM
Creeper ball joint question! xv-townboy Venom Creeper 10 09-11-2009 12:41 AM