Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Bent my first SSD axle today....disappointed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Bent my first SSD axle today....disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
It's a beautiful case no question about it. This sounds like the perfect opportunity for CREEPERBOB @ CBRB Custom Titanium Axle Shafts. I don't recall ever hearing about one of his TI axles bending under any condition? He may already be all over this issue it would be well worth it to check him out. You'll only need to buy one replacement it will probably out last the buyer most likely ...
I bent one tried to climb a steep rock and it fell out from about 5 feet into the ground and it landed on the rear right tire and it bent badly, i understand that should bent any axle but it hurts when is an $80 as a pair axle the one that bends. Of course they work great, last set i had lasted me like 3 years abusing the living hell out of them
Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Just took my Yeti out for its first run today, got about 15-20 min out of it. Nothing super aggressive, but more of a dial in run. Took a quick-ish turn in a large wood chip area, and traction rolled. Landed right side up, and got back on the power. Noticed a wobble in the right rear wheel, and found that the axle shaft had bent in the area of the hex pin drilling. Aside from a few scuffs & dirt, there was no other damage. Running a 2s pack, Tekin Pro4 4000Kv & MMP combo...nothing insane. Rear end is the complete SSD Yeti Wide set up, VP links, MIP driveshafts & SSD 2.2 steelies on all 4 corners.

I've got to say, I'm thoroughly impressed with the overall workmanship & simplicity of the SSD stuff. But I am a little put off by how easily the axle shaft bent. Would it be better/stronger to do away with a pin type drive, and use a machined flat on the shaft & grub screw?

Replacements are beyond reasonably priced, so they've already been ordered. I'm just hoping that these bent ones are just a fluke batch.
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

All I can say is my VP axle has been flawless. I think the SSD stuff looks great and love my 2 speed but the problems I've seen with this axle and tier trailing arms is kinda a put off on buying something that tends to see more abuse than a 2 speed.

Last edited by fr8cture; 08-18-2015 at 09:38 PM.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:15 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
All I can say is my VP axle has been flawless. I think the SSD stuff looks great and love my 2 speed but the problems I've seen with this axle and tier trailing arms is kinda a put off on buying something that tends to see more abuse than a 2 speed.
Just to clarify, the SSD axle housing has been as bullet proof as my VP ones. The bending issue is with the axle shafts. I'm running VP's trailing arms & upper links. I liked the fact that SSD offered a wide version, that allows me to run matched SLWs on all 4 wheels (mainly for convenience on my part).
Old 08-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Yes I know I am running the centered vp which has its own shafts also.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #26
SSD
RCC Addict

I must admit I'm surprised to hear this. The material used has been reliable before. Will look into it and Ti shafts...
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:16 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I bent one too today... It rolled but not violent in any way.

Bummed, but I'll figure something out. I really like the axle itself.

XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:03 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodan13 View Post
Just took my Yeti out for its first run today, got about 15-20 min out of it. Nothing super aggressive, but more of a dial in run. Took a quick-ish turn in a large wood chip area, and traction rolled. Landed right side up, and got back on the power. Noticed a wobble in the right rear wheel, and found that the axle shaft had bent in the area of the hex pin drilling. Aside from a few scuffs & dirt, there was no other damage. Running a 2s pack, Tekin Pro4 4000Kv & MMP combo...nothing insane. Rear end is the complete SSD Yeti Wide set up, VP links, MIP driveshafts & SSD 2.2 steelies on all 4 corners.

I've got to say, I'm thoroughly impressed with the overall workmanship & simplicity of the SSD stuff. But I am a little put off by how easily the axle shaft bent. Would it be better/stronger to do away with a pin type drive, and use a machined flat on the shaft & grub screw?

Replacements are beyond reasonably priced, so they've already been ordered. I'm just hoping that these bent ones are just a fluke batch.
Sounds like a carbon copy of my rollover....we're even running a similar setup in the drivetrain.
BlownChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:11 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

My wraith width SSD housing went back to my LHS, a wide center ssd is on its way. The standard width housing was inspected down to the finest detail, and it was flawless besides BOTH axles being bent. Didn't have a full pack through it. Had never seen dirt or a jump. I admit, mine has been a bit of a shelf queen due to lack of time.

I know without a doubt this housing is tough as nails, but the axles are soft like butta.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:13 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

With how all 3 of you guys having bent them similarly there surely must have been more. Glad you guys spoke up. Can't improve on something if nobody says anything.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Ordered a replacement set from RPP, I'm hoping it was a fluke. If not I'll look into something else. Maybe I can turn a set on my lathe? But that seems a little outta my league just yet..
Old 08-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

interesting to note, mine bent right at the hole for the hex pin.

it also bent right back in my vice with minimal effort.. I dont know how you would beef up that area really? the only thing I could think is stepping it up to 6mm like the old super 300 shafts?

maybe heat treating them? that could make them brittle though.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
I must admit I'm surprised to hear this. The material used has been reliable before. Will look into it and Ti shafts...
If you guys make some Ti rear shafts (wraith length), could you make the tangs a little longer like the front vp vvd? The vp locker has set screws and just like the stock rear ar60 shafts, tang is to short and set screw sits half on shaft and half off the tang.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Spares came yesterday, from RPP. All of 5 minutes, and the rig is back to 100%. It'll probably be a few days before I take it out again, so we'll see if it was just a fluke batch of soft material. Either way, results/observations will be posted.

Last edited by turbodan13; 08-27-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

SSD....Any update on this out of curiosity? Bad batch of axles? Material too soft?
Old 08-28-2015, 01:26 AM   #36
SSD
RCC Addict

From what we can see it's not a bad batch. That steel is pretty good, even GCM have confirmed this to us. The number of reported issues is also only a handful.
So we can only conclude that rigid axle housings combined with hitting the wheel "the wrong way" is causing bends at the weak point (pin hole).

However, we understand your frustration so we are working on a solution...
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:45 AM   #37
RCC Addict

I did notice that running the plastic CI wheels alleviates the stress. The wheel flexes rather than the axle.

Add on slightly heavier and rigid aluminum wheels and you get bent axles.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:43 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
I did notice that running the plastic CI wheels alleviates the stress. The wheel flexes rather than the axle.

Add on slightly heavier and rigid aluminum wheels and you get bent axles.
You may be right, but trig bent his with the ci 6 bolts and I've bent/broke 4 vp centered shafts with the 6 bolts. Trig even bent his wheel a little bit. All mine still spin true though.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

My replacements should be here today.. I'll report back.

I'm sure it's the pin for the hex, I might try welding it in or something?
Old 08-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Yea. Like I said. Mine was NOT a soft crash. I like the sound of titanium. All designs have flaws and have room for improvement. From VP,to axial to traxxas. Give him some time, just getting back feedback about issues. I personally will continue to buy SSD because there products have great style. Bending shafts in a U4 truck is going to happen, that's as scale as it gets!
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Bent my first SSD axle today....disappointed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New SSD SCX10 axle housings STANG KILLA SS Axial SCX-10 1394 03-10-2023 08:34 AM
SSD Rear Axle Hunter711 Axial Yeti 152 09-09-2019 12:56 PM
SSD New wraith axle housing Szczerba General Crawlers 180 03-01-2016 08:19 PM
Bent an Axle shaft today JavelinSST390 HPI Wheely King 3 08-19-2007 06:30 PM