Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Sac's Yeti Fun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
Sac

Default Sac's Yeti Fun

Well I fought and fought not to buy a Yeti. THen one day me and some friends stopped at a RC Shop and they had one in stock and the fight went away. Here are some pictures of it brand new, yea… We unboxed them in the parking lot.

So after bashing it around climbing over stuff in the shop I stripped out the hubs. After cursing for a few minutes I got on here and YouTube and learned about the hex upgrade, so I installed that.

Then my steering link kept popping off so I installed some small washers on top.

Now at a car show I was messing around with it and stripped out the center of the wheel. Found a local shop and thankfully they had a nice supply of Axial parts and I was back in business!

And the latest breakage.. Yeti meets 1" rebar and breaks the caster and lost the dog bone. So I ordered some Vanquish caster and Axial replacement dog bones.

Now those parts are being delivered today. Only of parts I've ordered is a SPC 8200mAh 2S battery.
Sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2015, 06:52 PM   #2

Default Re: Sac's Yeti Fun

Congrats on the buy. It is a fun truck. Suggest 3s, 2s is just too slow for real fun.
silver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
Sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver5 View Post
Congrats on the buy. It is a fun truck. Suggest 3s, 2s is just too slow for real fun.
Thanks. I'm wanting to put it on 3S, just been reading stories after stories of destroying the drivetrain on it. So I'm reading up what it takes to run on it.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #4

I guess it depends on how you drive it too. So far no drivetrain issues but I am thinking about upgrading to hardened gears as I have noticed some wear on the stock gears. Hinge pins will be the first upgrade in my opinion. I bent mine right away.
silver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
Sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver5 View Post
I guess it depends on how you drive it too. So far no drivetrain issues but I am thinking about upgrading to hardened gears as I have noticed some wear on the stock gears. Hinge pins will be the first upgrade in my opinion. I bent mine right away.
I'm going to try a 3S next time I take it out.

Post office didn't deliver my parts likes the tracking number says, so I had to sit back and watch people race Sat… But I ordered some CI Deuces Wild Single Stage foam & their work stand today.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:07 PM   #6
Sac

Well I finally get my casters & dog bones in, went to go put them on and stupid me I didn't realize it broke the knuckle as well. So…… Now I'm waiting for those, just ordered them from RPP.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Make sure you get the kingpin too, looks like you lost the bottom one.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:34 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Yup.....been there my friend. First real run out with my Yeti I broke the same thing on the other side.....castor block and knuckle. Lost the king pin in the process, too. Next upgrades to consider: Ti hinge pins or you could go with McMaster Carr drill bit blanks like a few of us have done. Will run you about $20 either way. Also, consider replacing the stock steering set-up with STRC, VP, or HR bellcrank and posts and then replace the links with Traxxas turnbuckles. Traxxas parts will run you about $8/set if I remember right and you'll appreciate the adjustability and durability of the upgrades. From there, you can spend as little or as much as you want to make this rig better. I will say if you plan on jumping it, put some money into your rear axle. Either buy a Dlux modded AR60 housing and install a set of Beef Tubes and a Dlux truss kit (U4 CF or G10) or pony up for a Currie or SSD Diamond rear housing. The stock housing doesn't like too many hard landings and eventually it will snap, likely at the link mounts like mine did.

Congrats on the new addiction, though! The Yeti is a fun rig to bash around with!
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Way to go on you purchase.You have yourself a fun rig...
Just a quick question .When doing all this bashing was it on pave.
Was all this breakage done on the same day of purchase...
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #10
Sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
Make sure you get the kingpin too, looks like you lost the bottom one.
I have the bottom one, its standing by. That's what makes me feel dumb, didn't put 2 & 2 together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Yup.....been there my friend. First real run out with my Yeti I broke the same thing on the other side.....castor block and knuckle. Lost the king pin in the process, too. Next upgrades to consider: Ti hinge pins or you could go with McMaster Carr drill bit blanks like a few of us have done. Will run you about $20 either way. Also, consider replacing the stock steering set-up with STRC, VP, or HR bellcrank and posts and then replace the links with Traxxas turnbuckles. Traxxas parts will run you about $8/set if I remember right and you'll appreciate the adjustability and durability of the upgrades. From there, you can spend as little or as much as you want to make this rig better. I will say if you plan on jumping it, put some money into your rear axle. Either buy a Dlux modded AR60 housing and install a set of Beef Tubes and a Dlux truss kit (U4 CF or G10) or pony up for a Currie or SSD Diamond rear housing. The stock housing doesn't like too many hard landings and eventually it will snap, likely at the link mounts like mine did.

Congrats on the new addiction, though! The Yeti is a fun rig to bash around with!
Awesome, thanks man! Those are exactly my next purchases for the front. I'm loving it so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
Way to go on you purchase.You have yourself a fun rig...
Just a quick question .When doing all this bashing was it on pave.
Was all this breakage done on the same day of purchase...
No, it wasn't on payment. Just a mixture of dirts, washout & rocks. Def not in the same day, I've had it for over 2 months now bashing the hell out of it. I cut it no slack thats for sure.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:09 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Oh ok, so you kinda of gave it your stamp of approval then..Good to know want breaks and what doesn't.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #12
Sac

Quote:
Oh ok, so you kinda of gave it your stamp of approval then..Good to know want breaks and what doesn't.
Oh yes, it has my stamp of approval! I'd consider this my first major breakage. The links popping out was no biggie and the wheels striping out was probably my fought from over tightening.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #13
RCC Addict

i know it has my stamp of approval the first day i received mine..I couldn't believe how plush the ride is compared to my Slash 4x4.and i had mine for 5 month now with no breakage but I'm not much of a basher.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:30 PM   #14
Sac

Got my CI single stage foams & stand in today. First time installing foams, first one was a pain but got easier as I went. Tires really do feel a lot better. Question though.. On the stock wheels, how many holes are ya'll leaving open?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:50 PM   #15
RCC Addict

mine set at the most hole i think 3rd one lets more air in an out. and it makes the tires more softer but if your bashing maybe the second hole...
Not really sure but the 3rd for me....you could always experiment now that you have new foams...
Old 09-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #16
Sac

Quote:
mine set at the most hole i think 3rd one lets more air in an out. and it makes the tires more softer but if your bashing maybe the second hole...
Not really sure but the 3rd for me....you could always experiment now that you have new foams...
Gotcha. I got all 3 open now, see how that reacts.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #17
Sac

Yeti is broke again.. I didn't see the piece of string wrapped around the rear axle and by the looks of it, kinda like it burnt itself through the plastic. So new bearings and Vanquish clamping lockouts on the way.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:50 AM   #18
RCC Addict

That sucks, man. But at least nothing too serious.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

say good buy to your 401 k . lol!!
nickyszoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #20
Sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
That sucks, man. But at least nothing too serious.
Very true, could be having to buy a Currie axle which I don't want to right now. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyszoe View Post
say good buy to your 401 k . lol!!
Haha Worse than owning a Jeep, always upgrading something.

Sac's Yeti Fun - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to Water Proof Axial Yeti XL For Year Round Fun! IIERIKII Electronics 9 08-23-2015 08:58 AM
Might join the Yeti fun KauseKaos Axial Yeti 0 12-10-2014 09:40 AM
[VIDEO: Sea Water Fun!] American Expedition Vehicles AEV Jeep Brute RC beach fun! boolean21 Scale Videos! 2 09-03-2013 05:38 PM
Fun Fun Fun Fest JeremyH Chit Chat 0 09-30-2011 12:18 PM