Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Dirt in front diff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Dirt in front diff

Ok guys like the description says I've got dirt in the front diff again. This Yeti rtr came to me used on trade I pulled everything apart make sure everything was greased and put it back together. When I pulled the front diff apart yesterday it was full of small dirt and trash. I don't know if anybody has had this problem or if anybody is having this problem but this is what I did to solution part of the problem.

I disassembled the front diff from the chassis. I found that the diff is not sealed on the bottom. There are also two small holes in the back of the diff case. I feel the two small holes with 1.5 millimeter grub screws I also use some weather stripping gasket and seal the bottom of the case to the chassis.

greengoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Dirt in front diff

Yeah, I get dirt in there also. It's an inherent design flaw I guess. Next time you tear into it post up what you find. I'm curious to see if your idea keeps the grit out or even a good portion of it.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Ok will do

The diff case was nasty. If you look at the pinion and diff housing you can see how nasty it is. The stuff in the diff case was even worse.

Last edited by greengoblin; 06-06-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:57 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

This is normal with nearly all 4wd rc race buggies as well. The easiest fix is a little grease where it meets (I happen to use Associated Black). Good seal and easy to remove. I just swapped front cases and gears, mine looks as clean as the day installed, and I didn't even do the set screw plugs, should have.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:13 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
This is normal with nearly all 4wd rc race buggies as well. The easiest fix is a little grease where it meets (I happen to use Associated Black). Good seal and easy to remove. I just swapped front cases and gears, mine looks as clean as the day installed, and I didn't even do the set screw plugs, should have.
So true every 4wd vehicle iv ever had, had dirt in it, we also put a little marine grease in the seams and holes and it always kept dirt and moisture out. Next time im in the front diff I will plug those holes with set screws
BigBlokBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

interesting, those holes are filled with M3 grub screws during the build process for the Kit version.
StatGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
interesting, those holes are filled with M3 grub screws during the build process for the Kit version.

Mine must have been assembled on a Monday or Friday. As you see those holes were empty never had a set screw in it.

Last edited by greengoblin; 06-15-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:25 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Dont feel bad, i almost finished my kit today, then i found out that they changed several parts in the manual (online) vs the paper manual i was shipped. had to rip out the transmission and adjust the servo and camber links and add some more grease and thread lock that was never called out originally.
StatGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
Dont feel bad, i almost finished my kit today, then i found out that they changed several parts in the manual (online) vs the paper manual i was shipped. had to rip out the transmission and adjust the servo and camber links and add some more grease and thread lock that was never called out originally.
I had the same problem - it would be nice if Axial made this obvious on their website, something like "Updated manual as of 'some date'".

If you didn't notice, another dimension change is for the slipper spring (p25). It should be 8.5 mm, not 6 mm.
zebru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I purchased a SSD axle and a Dlux fab larg bearing front diff. After i get them installed and run time on them i will let every one know how they hold up
Old 09-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

The new front diff came in today. So hear is the diff i sealed. I did it on the new diff also. This truck got sunk in the creek about a month ago by accident. I pulled the rear diff apart there was very little water in it so i pulled the transmission apart there was no water. The servo was fine but I did not pull the front diff apart because I wanted to put it through punishment. I wanted to see what it was going to look like after a few months of no maintenance well guess this is it.
I installed a new Hd gear and shes back running. No dirt no water im happy.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:00 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Just opened mine up to install a GCM diff cup. No dirt and I run in a sand dirt mix.

Last edited by fr8cture; 09-30-2015 at 12:09 AM.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Mine was used when i got it so i don't know its life until i got it.

Dirt in front diff - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
front diff vito Axial Yeti XL 3 05-10-2015 06:45 AM
front diff? hende 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 3 10-22-2012 04:10 PM
independent front suspension and front diff build canadian scx10 Axial SCX-10 1 02-13-2011 07:52 PM