Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Axial Yeti power and steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2015, 03:59 AM   #1

Default Axial Yeti power and steering

Hi guys, my first thread here, so please don't let me down.

I've recently completed a build of a Yeti Kit (small Yeti, if you can call it that).

All went really well, except the servo, which after being mounted, does not have a straight link towards the servo saver and the rest, it is at an angle.

I will come with pictures later on to get detailed help for that, and other ideas, but basically i have a nice metal geared Savox, 16kg of force, and it's just too much for the plastic bits.

Now for the get going bit.

The only thing i had for power is a 2 pole 3500kv Reaktor motor with a HpI Flux EMH-3S esc, running off a 60-120 discharge 2s Turnigy (5200mah)

The motor was in my twin hammers, geared really high, and it pulled wheelies and was fast for the type of car TH was, but now the yeti is double the weight, wheels are bigger and it's just slow, temps are ok with 14 tooth . stock spur, but running times used to be 45 mins+ on twin hammers, now 25-30mins on the yeti, same driving style.

What would you guys recommend me now that you know what gets me going, knowing i don't splash loads of money on incredibly good quality electrics (i like good value and cheap, where possible).

I think one option would be going on 3s (esc can handle it*, yeti can handle it), a lower KV motor, like 2000 to 2300kv (bigger motor with a 5mm shaft, instead of the 3.5mm that i have now) and getting 3s batteries , and that will yield me better run times too, also splashproof motor, so non-sensored please.

Sorry for the long post, and any grammar mistakes i've made.

(I am UK based, so buying from the US is kinda excluded, customs, shipping costs etc., i would buy second hand too)

Kind Regards,
Aredeth
Aredeth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2015, 05:45 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial Yeti power and steering

if your servo is the 1230, mine was not fitting well either and does sit a bit angled in the chassis. however I haven't had an issue from it.

for power, a 2 pole 540 sozed motor will be heavily overworked in a rig as big and heavy as the yeti especially if you plan on any crawling. see if you can find a castle mamba max pro or the hpi flux q base esc. for a motor look for a tekin pro4 hd 3000kv or something similar. 3500kv or less and 550 can. on 3s it will shine.
m0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:54 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Im running a Hitec 7954SH servo (403 oz in) on the kit's stock steering and it's fine, I just tightened up the servo saver with the bearing mod.

If you are planning on 3S I'd run the Holmes Puller XL 3500kv. I went with 4S running Tekin Pro4HD 3000kv and the power is insane with temps around 135 F.
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:12 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I use a Turnigy 1258 servo with a bearing mod on the servo saver.. It was like $30 and works great.. For a motor I use a Hobbywing SC8 WP 120a with a 4000kv 3656hd on 3s.. No problems with any of it.. Performs very well and doesn't break the bank.. I have 2 Yetis with the same electronics and both are just fine...
Tommy23490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

In my yeti I use the savox 1230sg. I just shaved the yeti pan so it sits flush.
For my motor I use a turnigy 2350kv sensored 1/8 scale motor. Loads of power for $50
I try not to skimp on my escs though.
I've burnt up my fair share of cheapos. Example, HK 120amp.
I use a MMP. Or the hobbywing 150 amp xerun esc.

All on 3 or 4 cell batteries.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:25 AM   #6

Seeing as everyone is mostly running 3s, i should try and do the same, as the running time should be better with a motor with fewer KV than my funny little 3500kv Reaktor.

So, as i want non-sensored (and i will keep my Esc until it burns out or breaks down), i need to look for a 2600-3000Kv motor 4 Pole capable of 3s.

I will upload the pictures in about 5 hours after i get home, as the servo thing will speak better for itself than my attempts at explaining.

Thanks guys, i'll have a look at the above recommendations, escpecially RobertJpjp as i think that's the cheaper motor of them all (i would also love a Holmes or Tekin, but that's way too expensive for me).

Also as a note, i do not really crawl, but i do run it slowly sometimes, walking pace, when me and my missus are out hiking.
Aredeth90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial Yeti power and steering - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What power your Yeti? greengoblin Axial Yeti 69 11-13-2015 01:30 PM
Yeti rear axle losing power SoCal Crawlr Axial Yeti 10 04-19-2015 10:57 AM
Yeti Power Packs SilicaStorm Axial Yeti 11 07-25-2014 10:38 AM